Sumo Wrestling Tournament Tokyo

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2017, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys! We were a few hours late purchasing tickets online for the Sumo Tournament in Tokyo in May and now the second hand tickets are 4x the price. Is this the only way we can get in to see this or can I still get tickets? We will want to go May 19,20 or 21st. Thanks!
Old May 3rd, 2017, 11:56 AM

I'd probably just show up at noon on the 19th (because it is a weekday) and would expect to be able to buy tickets at Ryogoku Kokugikan. That is what I did, but it was the January tournament and it was one ticket.

I see that the website says the tix are sold out for the entire tournament. I realize that it is is prime time to visit Japan and tourism there is up, but I still find it hard to believe that all seats for all days are sold out.

Anyway, I don't recommend the box seats. The seating is a cushion on the floor. I would not pay face value to sit there for the 4 to 6 hours (or more) that I would spend there. My Arena A seat was quite comfortable and maybe I would pay 4x for that if I had not been to sumo tournaments before and might never have the opportunity again. YMMV

You won't be sitting all that time, of course. You can get up and go out at any time (just don't miss the last few matches), check out the souvenirs, have chanko nabe or other food, etc.
Old May 3rd, 2017, 12:23 PM

Not that you will have a choice but my choice would be seats on the "50-yard line" on the side towards which the wrestlers enter the arena. There are names for the two sides which would be worth knowing. Maybe compass directions in Japanese?

Ah, here we go, this might be right:

<i>Are there names for the sides of the ring?

First of all, the “front” side is chosen. When facing the ring from the “front,” the side to the left is “east” and that to the right is “west.” The remaining side is called “opposite front.” The names do not necessarily comply with the actual directions of east, west, south and north.</i>

In which case the "front" would be the north (nishi) side, but the name might actually be the Japanese word for front.

Well, good luck1
Old May 3rd, 2017, 12:25 PM

Am going to guess: dohyo-mae (in front of the dohyo).
Old May 3rd, 2017, 07:49 PM

correction: north is kita. nishi is west