Tokyo Sumo and Baseball

Search

Tokyo Sumo and Baseball

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2015, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tokyo Sumo and Baseball

We will be in Tokyo for 8 days in Mid-May. It doesn't appear that I will have trouble getting tickets to a Yomiuri Giants game at the Tokyo Dome. Is this a good assumption? Sumo, on the other hand, I am not so sure. A website, Bob Bavasi's Japanball.com, offers to purchase the best tickets available in your desired section of the stadium/arena and hand deliver the tickets to you hotel for a $59 fee per ticket order. Does anyone have experience with Sumo and Giant tickets in Tokyo? Should I purchase in advance? Thanks.
Old Mar 4th, 2015, 06:09 AM

I purchased tickets last year (June) to a Giants game, which was sold out when we attended. I went on the Giants website the very moment that the tickets went on sale, around 2 months in advance..the schedule on when they go on sale is posted. Fifteen minutes after I purchased the tickets, I went on the site again just to see how fast tickets were going, and the sections that we wanted we already sold out. So based on my experience, I would recommend buying in advance as soon as they go on sale. We had a great time at the game.
Old Mar 17th, 2015, 11:23 AM

The priority for me would be to sit in right field to any game rather than seeing a specific team.

I had great times at games in Fukuoka, Osaka, Hiroshima, and at Tokyo Dome (which was a game between the Fukuoka and Sapporo teams and it was great despite the fact that my last-minute ticket was a field level seat just past 3B). If I absolutely wanted to see a Giants game at TD then I might pay the $59 fee for a RF seat.

The game I saw in Yokohama was not well attended. I was field level at 3B with plenty of empty seats around me. What I saw was three things: 1) some not very good baseball right in front of me, 2) RF bleachers full of Stars fans whooping it up, and 3) LF bleachers somewhat full of visiting team fans (Carp, IIRC) whooping it up.

For sumo in Tokyo, in mid-May, I just showed up on the day and got a terrific seat (I mean the seat was actually comfortable) in a great location, optimal.

The location was on the "50-yard line" and in the first row above the concourse. The upper level is raised well above the point where people walking the concourse would interfere with your view. The wrestlers entered from the far corners of the arena (in a football stadium, the ends of the goal line farthest away). From that spot all of the wrestlers enter the arena toward you.

There are Japanese names for the two sides of the arena, the one the sumo procession enters from and the one that they enter toward.

I got there between noon and 1PM and it was probably a weekday.

Take a break during the early sumo matches and find the line for the chanko nabe. Get in the line no matter how long it is and then just follow along when the time comes.

I highly recommend using mini-binoculars. They are sold at the sumo arena.

In Fukuoka for Kyushu Basho, I sat in the top row, in the corner, on a plastic seat and had a great time.
Old Mar 17th, 2015, 11:27 AM

>>There are Japanese names for the two sides of the arena, the one the sumo procession enters from and the one that they enter toward.

Meaning, if you knew those names then you would know better what to ask for.
Old Mar 17th, 2015, 01:08 PM

I actually used Bavasi's services last fall when we were in okyo. BTW he is the son of the former LA Dodger owner Buzzy Bavasi. All was spot on. The tickets were waiting for us at our hotel.

You may want to look into seeing a a game at Jingu stadium. Both Mr. Bavasi and a man i met at a Japanese cultural event before we left recommended it as its old style with character. I was very impressed. The atmosphere was electric and if you are a baseball fan you will love it.
http://www.jingu-stadium.com/english/
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...ure_Kanto.html
Old Mar 18th, 2015, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Thank you mrwunrfl and jacketwatch.

jacketwatch, we will be in Tokyo for 8 days and were considering going to a Swallows game as well so your recommendation about Jingu Stadium sealed our decision to go.

mrwunrfl, we plan on going with your suggestion to walk up to sumo on a weekday and pre-purchase seats for baseball. Originally we were going to do the opposite.

Thanks again to you both.
Old Mar 18th, 2015, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

mrwunrfl,

"Take a break during the early sumo matches and find the line for the chanko nabe. Get in the line no matter how long it is and then just follow along when the time comes." Please explain what this means.

"I highly recommend using mini-binoculars. They are sold at the sumo arena." What is the approximate cost?

Thanks
Old Mar 18th, 2015, 12:04 PM

We saw the Swallows vs. Giants, big game. . If you want a souvenir it's cash only though just down th street is a Swallows gift shop which of course accepts cc's.

So glad to hear you are going. It a total fun experience. You will see!

Larry. .
Old Mar 18th, 2015, 08:31 PM

>>Please explain what this means.
I didn't want to explain, just have you do it or let you find info on the web (I didn't know what was going on when I got in line). But given that people have real dietary restrictions I will explain that chanko nabe is aka "sumo stew". It is a fun, cheap, and nourishing experience to have at Ryogoku Kokugikan.

>>What is the approximate cost?
I don't remember. Maybe $20, $30, or $40? I absolutely would not have paid more than $50. Mostly plastic.