Suk 11 with my mom??

Search

Suk 11 with my mom??

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suk 11 with my mom??

Hello there! Everyone's messages are so helpful that I have decided to stop lurking and start posting!

I am looking for a budget place in Bangkok to stay with my mom (she's 60) in a good location.
I haven't yet read anything bad about Suk 11 but wanted to know if it would be an appropriate place for a mother/daughter duo looking to sightsee, some shopping, relax with a drink at night, etc.
I would be willing to pay up to $80 per night but figure if I can pay $24 and be happy than we can shop more!
Thanks in advance for all of your help!!
Old May 30th, 2007, 12:22 PM

Take a look at sawadee.com. The good thing about booking with them is that it includes the 17% service and tax charge. If you book with a hotel, this will be added to your bill.
Old May 30th, 2007, 01:19 PM

I stayed at Suk 11 twice last year and I am 42. it is in a great location and the included breakfast is great. Lots of fresh fruit, toast, croissants. The rooms are clean and comfortable with hot water showers and air conditioning.

The only deterrent may be the steep staircase getting to the second floor above the reception area. There is no elevator. You may also want to request a room on the second floor rather than having to hike up to the third floor.

I highly recommend this place for a great budget accommodation. The restaurant right in front of it is great and the bar down the road in the side alley, Cheap Charlie's, is a great place to meet expats and Thai's.

There is also a massage/spa place right out front but not associated with Suk 11.
Old May 30th, 2007, 01:34 PM

You might also consider Patumwan House. If you do a search on this forum (box above) you will hear from people who have stayed there. I have, as well as many friends/family members. I'm 61. We always enjoy our stay at Patumwan House.

Carol
Old May 30th, 2007, 07:52 PM

also look at centre point silom...
Old May 30th, 2007, 10:50 PM

Suk 11 is great, i stayed there for a few days in April. There are alot of stairs, and they are steep and difficult with luggage - try requesting a room close to the ground floor. Also, the walking paths into the rooms are not very luggage friendly, they are pretty much planks of wood in some places.
Its also a bit noisy at night as its very close to the action on Sukhumvit. Its a hostel- so everything is help yourself.

I highly recommend it though, for the price - the rooms are really clean, with air cond and the place is really cute and very unique and the breakfast is nice. Its also a brilliant location extremely close to the skytrain to get you everywhere (including all the major shopping centres!), and the area is touristy but no so touristy that you feel like there's no point in being in Bangkok at all!

Good luck,
Kate

Old Jun 1st, 2007, 06:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all! Everyone has such helpful advice.
I am going to give them a try, and am waiting to hear about availability. I appreciate everyone's responses for other places too, just in case Suk 11 is full!
Thanks again!
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 08:03 AM

As a 60 year old I would avoid a place with steep,difficult stairs unless I had no choice. And there is definitely lots of wonderful choices in bangkok in your price range that avoid the problem.
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 12:37 PM

I think it really depends on the 60 yr old. I know that both my mom and dad would be able to navigate the stairs without a problem and they are 66 and 68 yrs old.
Old Jun 1st, 2007, 08:47 PM

Anil's place is charming and the best place in all of BKK before you start your day with his wonderful breakfast and end it with a quiet drink on the little patio/balcony out front at the end of the day. He or someone on his staff will help you with your mom and/or all your luggage - with a free smile!! One of the great places of peace in the madness of BKK.
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Hmmmm...I have contacted Suk 11 a couple of times to book the room. They got back to me once asking if it was ok for me to pay one night due to late arrival. And then haven't returned any emails since. Arrrgh! I am just ready to book and be done since I have researched so long.
Has anyone had this problem or have any recommmendations?
Thanks so much!
Old Jun 7th, 2007, 09:50 PM

paige, take a look at the ambassador hotel, right across the street from suk 11. i've stayed there a few times and its a good value. very good security, and a bountiful buffet breakfast.

stay in the main bldg, and if you are non-smoking, the 7th fl is the non-smoking floor.

btw, cheap charlies is always busy, from opening till closing.
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 06:39 PM

I live on Soi 11. I am not sure when you are traveling, but they are now doing a lot of contruction and drainage work so the traffic and walking can be a bit challenging. They did just open the Fenix hotel. It is a 3 star and looks nice. It is across from Q bar (not that she will love that, but who knows!) you can go out soi 3 or 11. There are so many new small hotels going up so depending on when you come you could get a really good deal.
Old Jun 17th, 2007, 08:13 PM

Wm---since you live there how about posting a number of the "new" hotels for us to look at....

anything new on the river??

how is emporium coming on the river?

thanks
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 04:44 PM

Sure. http://www.accorhotels-asia.com/LeFenix/default_en.aspx

As for the river, I do not pay attention to what hotels are going up there as I live in sukhumvit and with traffic the way it is, I never put friends or family there. Sorry. If I read anything in the paper I will post it. Speaking of Soi 11, it rained so hard yesterday (the rainy season) the street flooded (which it is famous for, hence the drainage work). Also, the Frasier Suites (due to open in a couple of months) is a very nice serviced apartment group. That might be an option for your mom as you can get a few of the comforts of home for those jet lagged mornings! It is not on there website yet, but depending on when you are coming..it might be. Thailand is great with soft openings. Good prices then.
Old Jun 18th, 2007, 07:23 PM

I highly recommend New Siam Guesthouse No 2 if you are looking for a good clean budget option. They are located in a great location near the river, they have a great cheap restaurant, lifts to the rooms, aircon, hot water, satellite TV, western toilets and everything you need. We paid about 800 baht per night.
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 07:29 AM

Reeta, how were you able to book the New Siam II? That was my first choice for a hotel but after emailing (using their website) and faxing numerous times with no response, I finally gave up and booked Suk 11. They got back to me right away. I wouldn't prebook anyplace except we arrive aroung 2:00 a.m.

Thanks,
Sandy (in Denton)
Old Jun 19th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your replies!
I looked into Fenix and was worried the walk might be too far to the skytrain??
Also, the New Siam II looked great but I was worried my mom wouldn't be a fan of Khao San Rd.
I think its a large case of having too many options
I decided on Suk 11 but I can't get the credit card website to work b/c we have late arrival so I need to pay in advance for our reservation.
I emailed a couple times in the past week and a half and haven't heard anything back.
I am beginning to think my computer is broke.....
I definitely plan to keep Fenix and New Siam II in mind if Suk 11 doesn't work out! Thanks so much!
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 02:24 AM

Not sure about the price, but you can also stay at the President Solitaire on Soi 11. They have a private Shuttle that will take you to the sky train and pick you if you do not want your mom to walk to far. They are serviced apartments and are nice and clean. Good luck
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 05:33 AM

You might also consider the Bossotel Inn which is near the river and within easy walking distance of the skytrain and ferry stops. Good reports from people that have stayed there. Rates from $33-52 depending on room.