Reload this Page >

The Cliff House in Ogunquit, Maine

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 01:20 PM
Fanny

Has anyone stayed at the Cliff House in Ogunquit, Maine? Any responses would be appreciated. I am planning a vacation to Maine in the off season and would like to stay in a room with a view of the ocean.

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 01:31 PM
Linda

Hi,
I have never stayed at the Cliff House but have eaten brunch there. From what I've seen of it , you would be making a good choice in staying there. I was very impressed with it, and have often thought about staying there myself. The scenery is beautiful and the hotel itself is very nice.

Old Apr 29th, 2001, 11:58 AM
Jane

Fanny:

My husband and I have stayed at the Cliff House twice - we just love it - I particularly like the sound of the crashing waves - the rooms are nice and the service is great - lovely restaurant - great ocean views - highly recommend - email me directly if I can answer any questions for you

Old Apr 30th, 2001, 10:23 AM
Sandra

Fanny,

We received a gift cert to the Cliff House and used it last Sept. There are a couple of different buildings and I opted for the "main building" thinking it would be old and historic. Our stay was very nice, room with a balcony with a nice view up the coast with the Nubble Lighthouse blinking in the distance. But if you looked straight down, the view was spoiled by the the indoor pool complex and you could hear fans, generators or something like that droning in the background all the time. The original hotel had burned down a few decades ago, the family ran the site with a motel for a number of years and then recently built the new main building. It was lovely but modern. Not a quaint older hotel like I had envisioned. In touring the grounds, my husband and I decided we would of liked to have stayed at one of the older motel style units. I think they were called the lodges. We would of liked the idea of pulling our vehicle right up to the door and not dealing with walking throught the lobby, going up the elevator etc. everytime we went in. The motel style rooms were right on the cliff and appeared to all have either a balcony or deck and wonderful views. So just a personal preference for us. The view was great from our room, but I found the noise annoying. The hotel had numerous patios and public areas that you could sit at and enjoy the view, a lobby bar with a pianist and it was a very nice place.
Enjoy your stay.
Sandra

Old May 18th, 2001, 04:45 PM
Mary

Just got back from the Cliff House after a 4 night stay. My first impression is mixed. The room itself felt like a super 8 hotel - very generic - plastic wrapped plastic cups in the bathroom - not a lot of charm. My balcony overlooked the water but I also overlooked the pool and I guess the roof to the dining room.

Food was good, service was good but the hotel itself was really nothing. You have to drive in town to the restaurants (but only 5-10 minutes) but not sure it is what you are looking for if you are looking for a quaint bed/breakfast type place.

Everyone, however, has their own taste - I like quaint and feather pillows etc. I would not personally go back but it did have nice windows with good views of the surf and good service. I guess my only complaint is the motel 6 feel of my room!

Good luck!

Old May 19th, 2001, 05:57 AM
kathy

Hi, What do you mean by off season? The Cliff House is closed during some of the off season, you may want to check and see if it is open when you are planning to visit. If not another great hotel in this area is the Stage Neck Inn. Right on the ocean and has wonderful food. Kathy

Old May 19th, 2001, 08:48 AM
John H

Fanny,

I have not stayed at the Cliff House. But, when I saw that you were staying in Ogunquit I had to mention that you MUST eat at Hurricane restaurant. It was recommended by Fodor's (was a Fodor's favorite) and was spectacular. It is located on Perkin's cove: 207-646-6348, reservations recommended. Web site:
http://www.perkinscove.com

Have a great trip. I really enjoyed Ogunquit.

john

Old Oct 9th, 2010, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We had a bad experience at the Cliff House this August. The reservation clerk took our reservation and deposit but a comfirmation was never sent to us. When I phoned about why I had not received confirmation I was told that my confirmation dates had been moved up by 1 day and shortened by 2 days. I was not informed of this and would not have knowned unless I called. It took a while to get back my deposit when I canceled out!!! Lovely view...terrible staff!!!!!!!!MMMK
Old Oct 10th, 2010, 08:42 AM

Haven't stayed there but have driven by it a few times. If you DON'T end up at the Cliff House, be sure to drive Shore Road out around Cape Neddick, past the Cliff House and onward to York and maybe even Kittery. This is a really beautiful drive. Some people think that Route 1 coastal route in Maine is going to be scenic, but it does NOT hug the coast. You have to get out along the shoreline to really get the coastal views, and understandably the locals are never going to tell you this!
Old Oct 13th, 2010, 09:29 AM

Wow, I am surprised to see farrihy1's negative post to a question originally posted on this site in 2001 !!!

farrighy1's topping of this very old discussion gives me an oppportunity to report on our very favorable stay over Labor Day Weekend 2010.

Due to a change in plans we phoned Friday evening of Labor Day to discuss availability. The reservation clerk assisting us did a perfect job of matching our requirements with room availability. We booked a king room in the Spa Building.

We arrived at noon on Saturday and were granted early check-in. Our room was beautiful with a stunning view up the coast to Ogunquit Beach and beyond into Wells. We had a nice balcony with two comfortable chairs. The room was immaculately clean (thank you Claudette) and had a nice sitting area and a gas stove. The bath was large and very clean with extra fluffy towels. I particularly enjoyed the complimentary blueberry toiletries.

We had three breakfasts and two dinners in the Cliff House Restaurant. All the food was very well prepared and the staff first rate. And the view...it has to be the best in Maine.

We talked with varous front desk personnel during our stay and all were friendly and helpful.

We took advantage of the shuttle from the front door of the hotel into Perkins Cove. Nice to have this service.

In the Spa section of the hotel we used the fitness center, the infinity pool and hot tub - all great.

This hotel is not cheap, but we have stayed in more expensive places and received far less value. We would return in a heartbeat.