Search

Grottino anyone

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grottino anyone

Hi everybody,
My husband and I ( both 40) are gearing up for our first trip ever to Thailand and Cambodia. We are leaving on Feb 7th and return on Feb 24th. Between now and then I will be asking a lot of questions, so be patient!! I usually plan trips to each and every detail, which sometimes kills the fun. I wanted to take it easy with this one, but feel the urge to maximize our time and experiences. Anyhow, question #1: We are staying for 5 nights in Bangkok at the Grottino on Sukhumvit/Soi 19. Someone recommended it. Unfortunately, none of the fodors folks seem to have stayed there. Can anyone give me more info, please?
Thanks,
Kirsten
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 06:42 PM

Hadn't heard of the Grottino so had a look at the website. Rooms are small but look clean - living space is listed on their website as 400 x 400 + bathroom, which seems to be centimeters (given that a double bed is 200 cm long and takes up about 1/2 the length), translates to 4 x 4 meters = 16 m2, which is the size of a low end Japanese business hotel...very small. For reference, a "standard" room is usually around 30 m2 with nicer hotels offering rooms of 40 m2 or so as their entry level and increasing in size and price. The price seems low at first, but it is possible to get a room of similar size and amenities for less, and to get much more for the same price. Location near public transportation is a good point, as Bangkok is a very large city.

I wouldn't choose the Grottino for two reasons...one is that there is no pool and pools are very important to us (and BKK is very hot). It's so nice to return to the hotel after being out and about and have a drink and snack by the pool. The other reason is the location...we prefer by far to stay on the river. We've stayed once at the Conrad, and while a perfectly OK hotel, we missed breakfast by the river and the riverside atmosphere which we find very relaxing.
Old Jun 15th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

OK,
It has been more than a year since we have been to Thailand. Nobody seems to have stayed at the Grottino....What a shame. The place is fantastic. It is a low-cost option in a fantastic location with amazing service. Could not have been more pleased! Give the Grottino a try! Their breakfast is a real treat ( swiss/german breads coffee, jams, breads, etc.) The rooms are modern and clean. Just steps to the train and dining/massages/restaurants. Would absolutely stay there again!
Old Jun 15th, 2008, 08:14 PM

Kirsten, since no one else has stayed there, can you give a bit more info? Price? Restaurant on premises? pool? Anything else people would want to know about it?
Old Jun 15th, 2008, 08:15 PM

Oh, yes, and given Kim's comments, what about the room size?
Old Jun 17th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Original Poster

Not sure on exact dimensions of each room, but I can say that ours felt airy and spacious. There is a small, clean restaurant downstairs that looks somewhat like an alpine grotto. I know...not exactly Thai, but the breakfast was delicious. Didn't have dinner there, but it seems as though it was popular with swiss/german expats. Grottino does not have a pool, but that is not important to us since we have our own pool in our backyard. No need to swim on vacation unless it's in the ocean. We were fine cooling off with a refreshing shower. The Grottino is clean, convenient, inexpensive ( around $50 per night.) If that's what you are looking for, it's a great find. Hope this helps.
Kirsten
Old Jun 18th, 2008, 06:53 AM

Thanks for giving us more detail, kirsten!