Search

Suggestions/help on Maldives Holiday

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2005, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions/help on Maldives Holiday

Hi

My boyfriend and i want to go on hols in teh winter (november ideally) for 2 weeks. we've been looking at Maldives/mauritius or teh USA. Personally i want to go to the maldives as its just looks stunning but i need to convince my better half!

sooo....first of all we need to get a fairly cheaply priced holiday - i've seen some for the Lohifushi resort for around £800 including flights from the UK - has anyone been? is it a decent place to stay? also have to take into account that my other half is prone to seasickness, and doesnt really swim although he likes relaxing on the beach.

I'm a little concerned that we don't go to an island that is just purely a resort as we like to explore a bit and try local restaurants...Any suggestions of where to go/avoid?

Any help welcome!
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 07:36 AM

I would skip Maldives- go to Bali, or Thailand- there is so much more to do, see ,culture, activites- IMHO the Maldives is over priced and not much to do there besides veg out on the beach.
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 10:23 AM

I am going to the Maldives (but only for 3 nights) after touring South India..After searching around for a few months, we booked at the Veligandu Island Resort..It was the best deal I could find for a decent cost..Check out their website anyhow..People just seem to love it there and keep going back..I don't know if I would want to spend 2 weeks there, but who knows..It sounds pretty special..

http://www.veliganduisland.com/index.php

We probably would have never gone there except it is only a short 1 hour flight from where we will be in India, so figured it was worth checking out!!
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 10:33 AM

TracyB- ok the website does not give prices- is it one of those "If you have to ask you can't afford it" deals? You say its reasonable but there are no prices listed- so what price did you get?
Old Jun 10th, 2005, 08:23 PM

Alot of the hotels don't give prices, unfortunately..Except the really expensive ones..We are paying 222.00 US per night for a beach bungalow including 3 meals per day..We used Crown Tours as our booking agent..You will probably get a better deal the longer you stay.You can also do All Incluside..We are only staying 3 nights..Anyhow, Crown Tours website is
http://www.crowntoursmaldives.com/index.php
I didn't find a better deal than this for what we were looking for..Just depends how much you want to spend.
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 11:57 PM

Laneycakes

Most resorts in the Maldives are on their own islands ... there is nothing else on the island but the resort.

Most resorts (at least those on the Nort Male atoll) have 1/2 day excursions to Male, the capital if you want to explore the local scene. However, if you want to do more wandering about on your own, you might want to check out the resort on Hulhule, the airport island where Male is a short boat ride away.

That said, there is really not that much to explore in Male. The main attraction is the fish market where they unload huge tuna off the fishing boats.

Maldives's beaches are truly stunning (I've been 4 times and am planning to go again early next year...can't wait to dive there again) but you may get bored if you just veg out on the beach for all 2 weeks.

Like BillT I'd recommend that you go to either Bali or Thailand where it's much cheaper than the Maldives and where there is a greater variety of things to do.
Old Aug 1st, 2005, 05:18 AM

Hi

My wife and I went to the Maldives last year and it was stunning. We went to Sun Island and even if it is not the most luxurious island it was just beautiful. I have posted a trip report with pictures on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com I'm sure that the pictures will be enough to convince you better half. Get in touch if you have any questions

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway