What Island do we go to?

Search

What Island do we go to?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What Island do we go to?

My husband and I would like to explore any beautiful place outside of the carribbean islands and have never traveled any further from the US. We would love to go somewhere exotic but do not have disposable income either. We are thinking of the maldives or the indonesia area. Can anyone tell us what particular island we can maybe save some money at? Is there anyway to save money? Is there a certain time of year that would be better?
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 11:46 AM

My wife and I are off to The Maldives in two days time. Staying at Lilly Beach Resort. Look out for our posts during our holiday and on our return. In the meantime you might like to look at our site at
www.leightravelclub.com
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 05:27 AM

Maldives is very nice and worth a visit at least once a lifetime, but it's anything but cheap. Literally what you need have to be flown in elsewhere.

Bali is a bit less expensive. But if you're new to Asia, I'll consider Thailand safer and more relaxed for tourists. There are many islands in Thailand which you can go depending on rainy season. And Thailand offers a great diversity of accommodation in different price range; and food also. You can spend a few bucks for a day and still be able to admire the culture and scenery much.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 09:09 PM

I agree with watakeet.I've been to Bali and its incredible.Great culture,good people,wonderful food.Lots of places to see and things to do.White water rafting to snorklling,the countryside is awe inspiring. Some of the hotels are classy and are not expensive.You can expect to get a double room accommodation in a good hotel for less than USD 50.Places to stay are Kuta and Nusa Dua.
Some of the places in Thailand are excellent. Phi Phi island , Krabi,Ko Samui & Phuket are great getaways,but the hotels don't come cheap.But its still affordable as compared to Maldives.
Maldives mostly cater to the charter tours from Europe are generally highend.Very beautiful though, the island nation depends on import of practically everything from water to vegetables and liquor(except sea food )which generally makes it costly.
As I'm from Asia and have been to all these places,I would put my chips on Bali, a tropical paradise, right through the year.
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 12:02 AM

Hi

My wife and I went to the Maldives in April a couple of years back and it was amazing . White beaches, blue sea, warm water...ultimate relaxation. We went to Sun Island by the way and you can read my trip report with pictures on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com/sun_island_index.htm . I think the Maldives is best in the beginning of the year (weather wise).

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 02:56 AM

A few considerations...

Bali and Indonesia are going to offer lovely foliage and landscapes, lots of friendly people and a truly unique and beautiful culture.

The Maldives are going to offer the world's most beautiful beaches and water with top 10 diving/snorkeling. It will be more expensive than Indonesia but there are people here who have done it without breaking the bank.

What sort of experience are you looking for? The locations are all very different.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 08:26 AM

how about for honeymoon? we've been to thailand (phi phi/phuket). Is Bali or Maldives a good choice? we don't want to break the bank, but of course, for our honeymoon want something beautiful and unforgetteable.
Originally was thinking Bora Bora/Fiji, but now reconsidering.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 12:04 PM

Hi jubileefd, the Maldives didn,t compare with Phi Phi. Nowhere does ,that we can find. Bali, Bora Bora, Fiji, Mauritious,and countless or at least many, others just don't have the magic of Laem Tong Bay. Get away from Tonsai Bay(which is ok for a visit) and feel the real Phi Phi.
Check our site
www.leightravelclub.com
or e'mail if you would like more info.
We are off again in three weeks to this little piece of paradise.
We enjoyed Maldives very much, but it's just not P......
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 12:13 PM

we loved phi phi, but were there last year so want something different. so nothing is a close 2nd even?
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 12:41 PM

Everyone has different preferences. Clearly Leigh feels that PhiPhi is paradise. Others say that about the Maldives, or the east coast of malaysia, or Bora Bora. They are all different. If you want a combination of beach and culture, it's hard to beat Bali. Any of these would make a fine honeymoon venue.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 09:00 PM

I have been considering Koh Lipe for some time, may get a visit there sometime this year. I haven't been before and don't know anyone who has. Maybe jamesA can offer some up to date info. I know he has posted about it before but dont know how up to date his experience is.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 01:59 AM

Koh Lipe may be too basic /rustic for what you are after, I am trying to top a post from LA_Fadeaway which has excellent details on Lipe ( at the moment I can't seem to do it but look out for it ), but it may well be far too basic for what you are looking for.
There are lovely islands like Koh Mook amd Koh Ngai but these are still very natural, accommodation is limited and you won't have the range of outside activities. Bali is certainly an option, if you can tell us how important nightlife, range of restaurants, shopping or anything else it helps, there are tropical island paradises but they vary so much, could be luxurios top resort but little else to do, or more local in style but perhaps again not much to do. Many may go to very quiet places but perhaps not appreciate just 'how quiet' a place really is !

You can also mix an island with another place and split time between the 2.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 02:32 AM

What do you mean by "save money at"?

Do you mean a resort with beach umbrellas and all mod cons that you get cheap somehow? Or do you mean visiting amazing places where people go who would likw to see all resorts wiped off the place of the planet?

Please elaborate.

For instance, you can stay in Laos for as little as $4 a day (less in fact) - but would that suit?