Reload this Page >

Suggestions for hotel and guide in Siem Reap & Bangkok

Old Sep 29th, 2013, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
We are 3 seniors who will be in Hong Kong with relatives for two weeks in October, then traveling to Siem Reap for three days and then to Bangkok for three days and back to Hong Kong to fly back to the States. We have ordered Dawn Rooney's book and have read over many threads. Would like to stay in a 4 star hotel in both cities (time to spend our retirement money) and would like suggestions for a guide in both cities. We know that our time is limited and will not be able to see everything, just interested in soaking up the culture in a relaxing pace. We thank you all for the time you spend helping others to enjoy their trips.
Old Sep 29th, 2013, 02:34 PM

I will speak to Bangkok... many of us love tong as a guide...www.tourwithtong.com or google her..

hotels are many: I love being on the river: anantara riverside, peninsula, Shangri-La, Hilton or royal orchid Sheraton; center of town: plaza anthanee, renaissance, Marriott mayfair, Marriott sukhumvit park (last 2 are serviced apartments and very nice with more room), st regis, jw Marriott, hyatt, 4 seasons to name a few.

note bkk hotels are often called 5* but many are really 4*.
Old Sep 29th, 2013, 05:25 PM

Ponheary was a CNN Hero Nominee in 2010. http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/vi...ofile.cnn.html

Many of us on this board have used her.
She is lovely, intelligent and does good for children. Highly recommend her. Go to website...www.theplf.org. It will make your time in Siem Reap even better.
Old Sep 30th, 2013, 06:06 AM

There are lots of wonderful places to stay in both cities. It would be helpful if you could give us a target price per night you are aiming for.

I prefer not to have a guide in Bangkok. I stay at a hotel on the river and take the water taxis to the major wats and the skytrain to shopping and restaurants.

Take a look at www.agoda.com for hotel booking. In Siem Reap, I'd consider places like the Victoria Angkor, Shinta Mani and such.
Old Oct 1st, 2013, 11:33 PM

Were up in Bangkok 6 times a year, and one of the newest hotels we love is The Siam hotel >> http://globetrottinggourmet.com/blog...lous-lotusrei/

If you like Chinatown, Bangkok's Chinatown is one o=f Asia's biggest, and the Shanghai Mansion is divine. >> http://globetrottinggourmet.com/blog...gee-breakfast/

Two of our favourite spots,... two different price ranges. Good Luck
Old Oct 4th, 2013, 03:00 PM

Greetings to the OP and your forthcoming holiday -- and to the globetrotter's praise of The Siam in beloved Bangkok. My profile hotel review of that property only touches on the serenity and refinement; if nothing else, do try for an evening at her Chon Thai restaurant. (She's still offering river shuttle service via her newly enhanced boat.) Some special friends and staff at that riverside retreat.

Will continue to give the highest praise to my current Bangkok business travel property, the Four Seasons. Brief working stay last month and fine as ever. At present, 'stay two nights, third evening free' promo.

One riverside suggestion is the Royal Orchid Sheraton. Mention the place, as recently received a Starwood email promotion for Bangkok lodging discounts. Mind you, it's been quite some time since have stayed at the ROS for work, but each and every stay was most satisfactory, particularly a special lodging I was partial to on her 25th floor. Time permitting, hope to capitalize on the Starwood offer by drawing down some Starwood points for a weekend leisure stay with the loved one at one of the Four Seasons' neighbours, the St. Regis (another fine BKK property).

Concerning flights (and perhaps primarily for you UK and SFO area dwellers out there), will offer completely unsolicited praise to good old United Airlines. Flight in question, UA931 F, a few days back, Heathrow to San Francisco (work related). One of our delightful in-house, Singapore-based, business travel booking mavens procured the 'free' flight using some of my miles. Had been awhile since flying 'in the nose' via one of UA's B747s. The F crew could not have been kinder to this former UA 1K and 'lifetime' million miler. For various personal and professional reasons, remain enormously partial to Singapore Airlines, but will say UA help provide a fine way to finish a few days of meetings (London) and family weekend rendezvous (Glasgow).

Savour your planning and travels, sheila, very happy for you. Warm weekend wishes (and flights) to you and all from SF Bay Area,

macintosh (robert)

... Singapore Girl, You're a Great Way to Fly ...
Old Oct 16th, 2013, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Thank you ALL as usual this site is full of sooooo much useful information. Thanks for offering your time to make our trips even more wonderful
S