Reload this Page >

Angkor Wat Experts Needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2002, 10:18 AM
John G

Hello, friends. If you had an extra day available, would you spend it at Angkor Wat or in Bangkok? We are already staying 3 days in Bangkok and 2 1/2 days in Siem Riep.

Old May 10th, 2002, 11:44 AM
Kathie

There are wonderful things in both places, of course. But Angkor is one of the wonders of the world. I'd vote for another day in Siem Reap. I spent a week there and would have enjoyed more time.<BR><BR>There are many temples, and I found that enjoyed the small, unrestored temples being simultaneously torn apart and held together by the trees. The shorter your stay in Siem Reap, the more likely you are to see only the largest temples, like Angkor Wat, Ta Phrom, Bayon. While all of those are wonderful, the smaller temples, where you can roam as the only visitor have a special magic.

Old May 10th, 2002, 11:54 AM
mari

depends on ur traveling tastes. if u like to cover a lot of ground while traveling, going everywhere, seeing shows, shopping, taking day tours, then u'll prolly prefer the extra day in bangkok. it's a river city, so u can do some touring by ferry to major sights like wat arun. i also like the temple of the reclining buddha and its long line of spinning wheels for devotees. bangkok is a heaven for shopping and for fast custom-made clothes, esp silk clothes, and for people who love thai food. there is a LOT to do in bangkok.<BR><BR>if u like a slower pace, and esp if u're interested in history and art, then angkor is definitely worth another day. this is a vast area of jungle w/ temples, pavilions, bridges and other structures in various stages of restoration. each has a different character--angkor wat is a huge, awe-inspiring religious and learning site, bayon w/ its looming stone faces has incredible bas reliefs depicting war and everyday life from centuries ago and various levels of cozy corridors and courtyards to explore, the elephant pavilion has long lengths of reliefs of elephants parading to war, etc. i wish i'd had an entire day for bayon alone.<BR><BR>also, siem reap is very near tonle sap, the great lake that reverses its flow. it's vast enough that u can't see the far shore. u can hire a boat and spend a leisurely afternoon on the lake and among the communities that live on it.<BR>

Old May 11th, 2002, 06:47 AM
John G

Thanks for your replies. Where in either Siem Riep or Bangkok can I find good-quality statues of Buddha? I am looking for one made of stone, about 12- inches high.

Old May 11th, 2002, 12:44 PM
Kathie

In Siem Reap is a stone-carving school, part of Cambodia's effort to revive their arts. You can find the carvings in a number of places in SR. Obviously, the quality is varied. I purchased at the small shop at the Angkor Village Resort, which had a selection of very nice things. <BR><BR>In Bangkok, River City has the best selections of arts and antiques shops, I think. It is right on the river, next to the Royal Orchid, so you can take the free shuttle from the Oriental to River City.

Old May 11th, 2002, 03:46 PM
Peter N-H

The book I mentioned under a different thread, and which will surely aid decision making, is:<BR><BR>Ancient Angkor by Micheal Freeman and Claude Jacques, published by Thames and Hudson (not Phaedon, as I suggested earlier).<BR><BR>This does triple duty, giving historical and cultural background, being a very practical guide to the sites themselves, and being lavishly illustrated enough not only to give you a clear idea what Kathie is talking about in her first post above, but to function as a souvenir after the visit.<BR><BR>Peter N-H<BR>http://members.axion.net/~pnh/China.html

Old May 11th, 2002, 06:22 PM
John G

Katie, is the place in Siem Riep you are refering to called Ecoles Chantiers by any chance?

Old May 12th, 2002, 10:45 AM
Kathie

John, I can't seem to find my notes on that and I left my guidebook in Cambodia (to make room in my suitcase for purchases). That name sounds familiar, perhaps someone else on this board knows.

Old May 13th, 2002, 07:58 PM
John G

Can anyone recommend a tailor in either Bangkok or Siem Riep who could make me silk pants with a drawstring waist?? I would only want the best-quality silk, of course. Also, where can I buy the best fabrics? I read that the Jim Thompson House in BK has wonderful fabric for sale. Has anyone shopped here for fabric? Please advise.

Old May 15th, 2002, 12:19 PM
John G

Isn't anybody going to help me? Sniff, sniff.

Old May 15th, 2002, 04:25 PM
Jeanne

I was just at the Jim Thompson house last month and bought quite a few silk presents, but didn't look at the fabric. But the things I bought were all of very high quality and beautiful. I would imagine they also sell silk fabric. (The house itself was very interesting and well worth a tour.)

Old May 15th, 2002, 04:41 PM
Kathie

Jim Thompson has fabulous silk fabrics. It is the highest priced fabric you'll find in Bangkok as well. With the devaluation of the baht a few years back, the prices look more reasonable now that they used to. Another place with very high quality fabric is Shinewatra (another store in Bangkok). There are zillions of tailors in Bangkok, I'd suggest you ask at your hotel for recommendations. I've used a tailor in the River City shopping center. I can't remember the name, but it's directly on your left as you come off the enclosed walkway from the Royal orchid.

Old May 16th, 2002, 11:48 AM
J

Poor John. Now you need to go to Hoi An in Vietnam to get those silk drawstring pants you want. My husband got two while we were there for $10-$12 a piece, depending on the silk. Sounds like you'll have to extend your trip. There are worse things that can happen. Besides the shopping in Vietnam is the best!

Old May 16th, 2002, 01:41 PM
lisa

John G -- There are numerous Jim Thompson stores in Bangkok, including one adjacent to the Jim Thompson House which is the one most people go to, and one in the Oriental Hotel. But those are not the one with the best selection. There is another Jim Thompson store near the Snake Farm which is enormous -- 4 stories -- with everything from mens' and womens' clothing and accessories to bolts of silk to home accessories, furniture, draperies, bedding, etc. It is incredible. Prices are very good compared to those in the US but quite high compared with other stores in Bangkok. You are paying more not just for the quality, but also for the brand name. You can find great prices on silk at the markets, but the quality is not as good. After shopping around a lot I ended up going back to the Jim Thompson main store (the one near the snake farm) and buying several pillowcases, a purse, a picture frame, and several scarves. They are not inexpensive compared with other things you will find in Bangkok, but they do make great gifts, and the packaging is lovely too.

Old May 17th, 2002, 02:07 AM
mari

john--<BR><BR>i recall from another post that u're staying at the oriental, right? it draws upscale tourists, many also in search of good silk clothes like u, and i'm sure they'll have some reputable tailors to recommend.

Old May 17th, 2002, 07:33 AM
John G

Yes, Mari, I am staying at the Oriental Hotel in Bangkok. But, please do not call me a tourist, for I am a traveler and there is a difference.<BR><BR>I am sure the Oriental Hotel can recommend a tailor. Now, why didn't I think of that?<BR><BR>I think I will try the Jim Thompson silk store near the snake farm. I just hope I can find the colors I want. My boyfriend wants me to bring him home enough silk to make dining room curtains, even though I don't know who he thinks is going to make them. (I can't even sew a button on a shirt.)<BR><BR>This is turning into a project and I just want to go on vacation.