Suan Lum Night Market- Bangkok

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2006, 08:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard this market is closing. Will it be open during February 2006?

Do they sell food at this market and is it worth eating here or should I eat somewhere else before going to the market?

Is the market similar to Patpong in terms of merchandise for sale?

Thanks for any help here.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 02:05 AM

Though "officially" the market is supposed to close in feb of 06, one of the fodorites who knows someone who owns a stall in the night market (BradinBangkok) said that the market will actually stay open for awhile longer (another year or so). Knowing Bangkok, this is probably true. There is construction slated for the site, but it probably will not begin for awhile. I suspect that the night marke vendors will stay there as long as they can.

As far as food goes, there will be an abundance of street food, but it is up to you whether you trust it enough to eat it. Search for recent posts on street food. Weigh the risks and decide if it is the right choice for you.

Anything that is in Patpong will also be here (NOT necessarily the girls) plus more. Patpong is an area great for finding knockoffs and such. This is the night market and will have more things. It will all be tourist stuff, but if that is what you are looking for, this can be one-stop shopping.

I am sure there will be frequent updates on this board about the night market and whether it is closing or not. I would just check back before you leave.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 03:01 AM

If you go to the market, give the Joe Louis Puppet Theater a try. It's well worth it.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 04:36 AM

Suan Lum is really nothing like Patpong: while Suan Lum does have a few stalls selling the t-shirts/watches/videos that predominate at Patpong, most of Suan Lum is higher quality and much more diversified. Not all of it is high-end by any means, but there's lots of both practical and artsy stuff. In my experience, I'd say that 90% or more of the shoppers at Suan Lum are not Westerners.

As for food, there are sit-down restaurants and bars on the periphery of Suan Lum. I've only stopped for a Singha there so can't comment on the food, but it certainly looked reasonable and several steps above street food (in terms of presentation and appearance of hygiene, at least).
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 04:39 AM

The whole 'eating' thingo at Suam Luam is hysterical! There's a random coupon system that works..as well as a completely seperate table service. It's quite confusing for the first time.

Here's a few tips.

http://lostmyguidebook.com/thailand/...n-night-market
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 04:58 AM

Agree with rizzuto. found the stuff at Suan Lum much better than the tat at Patpong. And more individual - there's some really nice funky belts and t-shirts.

There's a massive beer drinking area which I love. There are Thai singers singing pop songs live. There are food stalls all around. I recommend the grilled chicken and papaya salad! Also the pizza is pretty good . Basically, you buy coupons and then you can browse around the food stalls and pay by coupon. The beer girls (one for each brand!) will come up nagging you to order - you pay them direct by coupon. One of the seafood stalls has its own menu and 'waiters' to take your order. That's probably where confusion can arise!
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 07:36 AM
CFW

There's also a beer garden with table service. We went there with Thai friends and the food was surprisingly good. As I recall we had fried fish and shrimp cakes that were delicious.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 11:42 AM

There are several regular restaurants in the middle of Suan lum as well. I've eaten at the one by the puppet theatre a couple of times. Food was very tasty.

As far as merchandise, there is lots of souvenir stuff, but also lamps, chairs, rugs, table linens, vases, candles, new and vintage clothing, art, kitchen stuff, Thai fabrics, snack shops, and even a pet section. The vendors all have little shops that lock up, so they can carry a fair inventory. Get a map from nancy Chandler online.