Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Question about Chatuchak Market in Bangkok

Sep 7th, 2006, 04:19 PM
Original Poster

We will be in Bangkok next week, but leaving mid morning on Saturday. Somewhere I read that you could go to Chatuchak Market on Friday afternoon. Does anyone know if that is true? If I'll miss it, any shopping advice ?? - suggestions welcome. Also, does anyone know if eyeglass frames are a good buy in Thailand?
Many thanks
Sep 7th, 2006, 04:34 PM

I've heard that some of the vendors are there on Fridays unless things have changed. Personally, I wouldn't go there in the afternoon. The heat will be stifling. Whenever I go, I'm finished with all of my shopping by around 11:30AM and am heading back to the skytrain station. Tons of people pour in at around noon. Happy Travels!
Sep 7th, 2006, 04:37 PM

I've never been fond of the weekend market. There are lots of places to shop in Bangkok. if you want that kind of market experience, try the night market in Bangkok.
Sep 7th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for info. Guenmai, if you're finished shopping by 11:30 a., what time does the market open? Perhaps we can go early and be back by mid morning. What type of items do you feel are a good buy?
Kathie, would you tell me about the night market?
Sep 7th, 2006, 06:33 PM

I also recommend arriving at the market at 9AM and shopping about 2 hours. It gets really hot and crowded. What I enjoyed was that BKK residents utilize the market, not just tourists. Everything under the sun is sold there.Pick up a map at the Tourist Office (next to the bank and rest rooms) I've recommended the Suan Lum Night market before on this site. It's strictly for touists but very clean and organized. Also you can take in a traditional Thai puppet show at Joe Louis Puppet Theatre. Joe louis has a website you can check out. There are indoor and outdoor restaurants in all price ranges.
Sep 7th, 2006, 07:06 PM

Get a Nancy Chandler map of Bangkok...nancychandler.net You can buy them at most bookstores in Bangkok, but if you want to buy it in advance and study it, a very good idea, you can also go through distantlands.com and mail order it. The map has a whole section of all of the different areas of the market and what's found in each area. I absolutely cleaned up buying gorgeous flatware....the same things I saw in Bangkok, but I paid far less. I also bought those wonderful black, Thai jackets with the real silver buttons down the front...had one custom made in one day for about $40.00 or less about two years ago. I think that's when I was last at the market. Happy Travels!
I arrived at the market around 9:00, I think it was. And take a fan with you...you'll be using it. It's a covered market with stifling,trapped heat inside. Happy Travels!
Sep 7th, 2006, 07:46 PM

i too find the weekend market way over the top and way too hot....i much prefer the nite market....it is more tourist orientated: no second hand junk and clothes like at weekend mkt and less stalls to wade through....with your limited time it is far better....it is located at the junction of wireless rd and rama IV...evenings only
Dec 14th, 2007, 12:36 PM

Just found this..those black jackets sound tempting..
Dec 17th, 2007, 08:09 AM
KATHERINEMAEPARDEE

What time does the night market open? Please don't say midnight?

Thank you. We leave tomorrow

Dec 18th, 2007, 05:12 AM

I've usually headed for SuanLum Night Bazaar around 7 to 8 pm. The beer garden/food court/live stage entertainment is in full swing by then. Great place to spend an evening IMO.
Carol
Dec 18th, 2007, 06:29 AM

On 2 visits on a Sat. I arrived around 9:30 and 15-20% of the merchants were still setting up. That does not mean there are not hundreds already open for 1-2 hours or more but sometimes a little distruptive.
I now try to get there at 10 and it is 99% set and I leave at 12-12:15. Yes the last 45 minutes is quite hot but I hop in anA/C taxi for $2.50-$3USD tops and on to my next destination and arrive cool.