electricity in india and continental

Jan 15th, 2006, 09:29 AM
Original Poster

electricity in india and continental

We plan on bringing a dvd player and video camera. First, will we be able to re-charge the player on the plane if we are in coach class on continental from Newark NJ? Second, with regards to re-charging in India, we went to radio shack and could get no answers (doesn't that go against their tagline?) They have two adapters and can't say if one works in Inida or not. But another question is, is it as simple as plugging in a small adapter in India and then plugging in our AC? When I was in Berlin, the hotel brought up a huge box that plugged into their outlet and had the familiar AC plug for my computer. We leave next week and would truly appreciate any input (no pun intended)
Jan 15th, 2006, 11:47 AM

CO's 777 have Empower power supply in coach for rows 16-23, which are incidentally also the Elite rows. If you're not an CO Elite, you can't get those rows in advance, only during check-in, if available.

You'll need the proper Empower cord/adapter (or simply called airline power adapter - it's a smaller plug than a cigarette lighter, and there are also Empower-to-cigarette adapters).

As far as India (or anywhere else in the world), if your DVD player and video camera's power supplies 110-240V, then you don't need a voltage converter. Just a simple plug adapter will do. I am sure most video cameras have 110-240v power supply, but your DVD player may not.
Jan 15th, 2006, 11:52 AM

http://store.yahoo.com/electrical-su...-adapters.html

This web site will show/sell the adaptors that you may need. Apparently there are several possibilities. Most are of the same type as Continental Europe.

As to voltage conversion, read the owners manuals for your electronics, I think that you will find that they will accept whatever voltage you give them.

Anything with a motor or things that heat like hair dryers or shavers are a different story. Some have a selector switch for voltage. If you purchase a voltage transformer you need the capacity of the watts that the appliance uses. In most cases it is just better to buy a new appliance that has the voltage selection option.

Jan 15th, 2006, 12:03 PM

Another thought, for your battery chargers you may only need the two pin (non grounded) adaptors. These are the same used in Europe. The difference between the two is that the size of the pins is slightly different. If in hurry you might be able to find a kit at Walmart or Target that would include these.
Jan 15th, 2006, 12:21 PM

All of the stuff we took- cell phones, cameras, and I-pod- were dual voltage, so we dumped our voltage converter really fast. Just check on the back of the charger, if it says Input: AC 100-240v or similar, all you need is the prong adapter.

There were two different plugs we ran into- the one with 2 round prongs and the ones with 3 prongs in a triangle shape. The 2 prong was most common, and the only one we for which we had an adapter.

Actually, most of the hotels we stayed in had a built-in adapter, usually in the bathroom. Since my daughter and I both had stuff re-charging at the same time, a few times I went down and the front desk had adapters too.
Jan 15th, 2006, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for that info...I spent all day looking for the brand "hypertronics" and wasn't aware that's simply the name for the connection. And nobody anywhere even the airline could explain it clearly. Very relieved.