Spring in HK/Beijing?

May 4th, 2004, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Spring in HK/Beijing?

Hi there! We're planning a family trip for next year with my elderly parents and young nieces to HK and Beijing and I'm having trouble deciding when to go. Our only options, due to work constraints, are late March or late May. Problem is, I'm worried that if we go in March--when it will be pleasant in HK--the duststorms in Beijing will be bad. If we go in May, will we risk too much rain and humidity? I've been to HK in May, in the summer, and in winter, but now that my parents are getting older and with two young kids in tow, the quality of the weather is going to be more of a factor. Any advice you can give would be appreciated!
May 4th, 2004, 07:27 PM

In Hong Kong, humidity is almost always high and in late March/early April, there is also a tendency of light rain. In Beijing, as you already know, duststorm is around most likely in March.

Having said that, I think late May may be better, although it can already be a bit hot. But rain is not exactly a problem in May.
May 5th, 2004, 05:27 PM

just returned from china after 2 weeks-22april to 3may-beijing,xian,guilin,shanghai.weather was perfect in the begginning in beijing and got warm and rainy in shanghai at the end of trip. there is a lot of walking to do in the open to see the sights and end may will bcome hot
May 6th, 2004, 05:41 AM

Hi

My wife and I went to Beijing, Xi'an and HK in March last year. We had a few really nice days in Beijing but it was quite cold in the evenings in Beijing. I have posted a long trip report with pictures from the trip on my personal homepage gardkarlsen.com. Maybe you can get some useful information there. Have a great trip

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway
May 6th, 2004, 08:44 AM

Late May or early June is the best. Nice weather
May 6th, 2004, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Looks like the votes are for May.

And a special thanks to Gard. I've been on your website and have loved all the information and pictures you posted! It's a great site!