Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Should we go to China in March or Oct/Nov?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15th, 2004, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinking about a trip to China (Beijing, Xian, Guilin, and Hong Kong) in either late March or Oct./Nov. The days in March would be longer, but the weather seems to be better in the fall. How bad are the sandstorms in Beijing in March? Would it be more crowded in any/all of those places in the fall? We’d like to avoid the crowds, but still have decent weather, so I’m leaning towards March. I’ve already read several posts on this board, so I believe that the consensus will be the fall, but I’d still like to hear some opinions. Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 17th, 2004, 09:08 PM

We were in Beijing in late November last year. It was very cold, a light dusting of snow at the Great Wall. There were very few tourists, but millions (literally) of locals. We had a fantastic time.

We were also in Beijing this past April. It was quite warm. There was a sand storm one day while we were there -it turned the sky yellow, but that was about it. There were many, many groups of Chinese tourists. We had a fantastic time.

In my opinion, anytime is good! Enjoy!
Old Dec 19th, 2004, 10:31 AM

My husband goes to China twice a year and quite often I go with him. We have been in March and in the fall. Personally I find March the best. It can be cool, so take a sweater and jacket (with hood) with you. The crowds don't seem te be too bad yet in March.
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, OJudy and Jennifer! We will probably go in late March.

New question: are there Catholic churches in Beijing or Hong Kong? We would be traveling during Easter, and it is important to me to attend mass. Thanks!
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 12:28 PM

Sheryl - There are many Catholic churches in Hong Kong. Check out www.hkcatholic.org. The English site has links to schedules of masses in English.

The official "Catholic Church" in China is not sanctioned by the Vatican, but is controlled by the communist Chinese government. There are underground true Roman Catholic services, but I have no idea how to find them, or if that's a good idea to find them...
Old Dec 20th, 2004, 07:13 PM

There are also several large Catholic churches in Beijing, a very beautiful old one being just off Wangfujing, the main shopping street. I understand that it is the Chinese government that forbids the churches from being aligned with the Vatican. I have a feeling, however, that they are "real" Catholic churches who are simply playing by the Chinese rules. It would be interesting to talk to the local priests themselves to see how they view the situation.