Shanghai and Beijing-When?

Oct 13th, 2002, 05:54 PM
Deloris

Shanghai and Beijing-When?

Thinking of visiting Shanghai and Beijing and maybe Hong Kong in late March or mid April. Any thoughts? When are the dust storms bad?
Thanks

Oct 16th, 2002, 11:07 AM
Wildernessgal

That time of month is great to go. SHanghai is very hot though and Beijing is quite cool and breezy. Also, the sandstorms from the Gobi Desert make it a bit dusty in beij. Have fun.

Oct 16th, 2002, 12:00 PM
Patty

Mid-March is when the dust storms start arriving in northeastern China. Beijing is the only city on your itinerary that will be affected. I wouldn't say that it's 'very hot' in Shanghai that time of year. Daytime temps should be in the 60's - some might even consider that chilly. Don't know about Hong Kong. My favorite time of year is fall, especially Oct/Nov.

Oct 16th, 2002, 02:33 PM
Peter N-H

Actually, the dust storms did reach Shanghai last year, although they weren't as bad as in Beijing, and there was even fall-out on the Pacific Coast of North America. This is likely to get worse yet. But on a brief trip you'd be unlucky to encounter one, although the dust and particulates from other sources run at very high levels year-round.

I, too, now prefer October.

Peter N-H
http://members.axion.net/~pnh/China.html

Oct 20th, 2002, 02:54 PM
wildernessgal

When I was in Shanghai in April, it was 'very hot' but then again, that could be because i'm from a city that is freezing half the year! Either way, just pack clothes you can layer if need be when you get to Beijing!

Oct 20th, 2002, 07:16 PM
henry

The best time to visit Beijing & Shanghai is between Sep and Oct,not hot and cold.