Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Package to Beijing - Questions on Sights, etc

Sep 11th, 2003, 10:51 PM
Original Poster

I'll be going to asia for my first time in February. Beijing is the final destination. I know it can be quite cold that time of year, but temps never bother me too much. Plus, I am thinking that there will be next to no tourists there at that time, which will be nice.

My package includes 6 night stay at the Changan Grand Hotel. It is listed as a 5 star hotel, but having read other posts, its apparent that the "US star system" isn't going to apply...Anyone stayed at this hotel that can give me info on it?

What are good sights to see in Beijing? I'm already planning to see the Forbidden City and the Great Wall. I've been told the Summer Palace is something to definitely see as well....any thoughts? Any other suggestions?

My wife and I are interested in catching a show of some sort while we're there...Peking Opera, acrobatics, etc. Any thoughts on what might be the optimal? ie: if I only go to one show, what should it be?

I'm really looking forward to going. I've wanted to visit China for quite a while and when the opportunity presented itself, I couldn't resist. Anybody with any sort of advice, opinion or comment is welcome to throw it out there - I want to hear it all!

Thanks in advance!
Sep 12th, 2003, 12:14 AM

You lucky man! It will be cold in February, but you will have lots more space because there are fewer tourists. Go for a stroll, all wrapped up, on Tiananmen Square. It's breathtaking! Don't miss the Temple of Heaven, and take note that some of the sites of the Great Wall are very touristy. Try to choose the least developed one.
Sep 12th, 2003, 07:17 AM

Hi

My wife and I went to China in March 2003 and we had the pleasure of visiting Beijing, Xi'an and Hong Kong. Beijing was a positive surprise for us and it was breathtaking to see the Great Wall of China at Simatai on a nice sunny day. In Xi'an we got the pleasure of seeing the terra-cotta warriors. Hong Kong was just hit by SARS when we came there so naturally that infected our stay a little bit.

I have posted a long trip report on my homepage www.gardkarlsen.com. Maybe you can find some useful information there

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway
Sep 15th, 2003, 11:30 PM

you definitely should not miss temple of heaven, ming tombs, summer palace, i found the folowing links maybe helpful,

http://www.trip101.com/tr_des_top_bj_wheretogo.htm

http://www.trip101.com/index_book.htm

have a nice trip!
Sep 16th, 2003, 09:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies! I've got a pretty good idea of what I want to do while I'm there now. I'm really looking forward to exploring Beijing!

One new question I have - can anyone tell me what the area is like around the Temple of Heaven? Apparently my hotel is somewhere in that area. The Chang'an Grand Hotel. It is apparently a newer hotel, and it is difficult to find information on it on the web. Anyone know what the area is like? Is it considered safe/pretty/industrial...just trying to get an idea of what it is like there.

Is it ok to walk through the hutongs in Beijing? Or is it something that might be frowned upon? I have a feeling some interesting pictures may present themselves in these areas....

Thanks again for the replies so far. I really appreciate the information!