Search

Solo Thailand trip

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2018, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Solo Thailand trip

Hi All,
In a few weeks I will be taking a trip to Thailand. I have 1 day starting in Bangkok, then 5 days in Chiang Mai, then 5ish days to Phuket and islands, then back for a few days in Bangkok. I am doing this solo with most point to points set up. I am looking to fill between the points. I understand most of the major do's and dont's, so I am ok there. I am looking for input and advise.

So, questions....
What should my safety concerns be?
Will I be able to meet other travelers easily?
Should I go on group tours or can I easily find a person to take me on a private tour?
What in Chiang Mai that should not be missed?
What in Phuket/Koh Phi Phi that should b=not be missed?
If I wanted to stay on an island by Phuket that was not Koh Phi Phi, where should I go?

I have so many more questions but I will stop here.
Looking forward to your input and anything that you can provide so enhance my trip.

Thanks!!
Peace
Matt S
Old Feb 2nd, 2018, 02:29 AM

Many tourists visit Thailand on their own - you will be just one more! Some of these tourists are kids just out of school, working people with jobs to return to, retirees, even widows and widowers up in years. Unless you are completely helpless you should survive.

Google search should produce random posts from solo tourists and their experiences, etc.

Not everyone wants to do the same thing in Thailand. Some people want to fry themselves on a beach, some just want to visit nightlife, some even look for the love of their life in Thailand. Some want to sample street food, visit tons of temples while some just like to shop to they drop. You decide what you really want to do and find a way to do it!
https://www.fodors.com/world/asia/thailand/bangkok
https://www.fodors.com/world/asia/th...-andaman-coast
https://www.fodors.com/world/asia/thailand/chiang-mai

From Bangkok, Phuket and Chiang Mai there are small group tours you can sign up for in person. Your hotel staff can advise you where to go.

As far as safety goes don't wander around with fancy gold chains unless you think you can outrun a fast moving kid who snatches it off your neck. If you are just lollygagging around unaware of your surroundings you might become a victim. If you walk too close to a curb a bag or necklace or camera or smartphone might be taken by the pillion rider on the back of a motorbike. If you walk around with your face stuck in your smartphone don't be surprised if you fall in a hole, trip over something sticking up on a sidewalk or a kid grabs it and runs off with it. Be wary of strangers who seem over eager to help you shop, find a tuk-tuk, take you to a massage parlor, or something to separate you from your money. When you order a drink in a beer bar make sure you know the price then check the price on the receipt chit they stuff in the container. If careless you might have a big bill you were not expecting!

Enjoy your holiday.
Old Feb 2nd, 2018, 10:32 AM

≈Matt, I can't tell you what you want to do IN Thailand. Everyone is different. I've been to Thailand some two dozen times since the mid-1980s (obvious,y I like Thailand. I'd suggest you get yourself a good guidebook and see what appeals to you. Personally, I don't like group tours, so I wouldn't take one. I also am not fond of private tours, preferring to do my research ahead of time and sightseeing on my own. But you can easily find both group tours and private tours if that is what you want. Bangkok has great public transport, In Chiang May you will need to take taxis or songthaews.

Do note the PhiPhi has become the definition of over-touristed.
Old Feb 2nd, 2018, 02:01 PM

1. Don't worry about safety because Thailand is a safe country if you behave normally.
2. In Thailand, you can meet other people, especially girls. They will hook you.
3. I recommend you private tours. You can rent a car or motorbike. It is cheap in Thailand.
4. I have never been in Chiang Mai so I can't help you. I visited: Phuket, Pattaya, Bangkok, Ko Samui, Koh Phangan.
5. In Phuket, you should visit Kata Beach, Tiger Kingdom, FantaSea, Wat Chalong, Big Buddha Monument and parties in Patong on Bangla Road.
6. I don't have an idea. I prefer places where the nightlife is.

Have a good time in Thailand.