Singapore--Ritz or 4 Seasons?

Apr 22nd, 2005, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Singapore--Ritz or 4 Seasons?

I have two nights in Singapore and the rates at both the Ritz Carlton and the Four Seasons are similar ($150)which would you recommend?

The Ritz ia in the Marina area while the four Seasons is close to Orchard Road. I've heard there is some construction around the marina but I don't have a good sense of either location. I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thank you.
Apr 23rd, 2005, 08:59 AM

We've stayed at the Ritz and loved it -- it is one of the best hotels in the world. The views look out on either the harbor or the Singapore skyline -- very lovely. The Ritz is also convenient to public transport (MRT). It is close to the Esplanade, which is nice if you are thinking of attending any performances. The Four Seasons is in an entirely different location -- Orchard Road is a shopping destination. To get down to the historic sites, etc... from there is a cab ride or a MRT ride (from the Ritz you can walk). If you are a shopper, the Four Seasons is probably a good choice. If not, go with the Ritz. Either way you can't go wrong -- two wonderful hotels.
Apr 23rd, 2005, 09:46 AM
mlb

We stayed at the Ritz in Singapore for two nights last year. The service was very poor and so was our room. The view was good and the bathroom neat with the octagonal window, but the furniture in the room was old, stained and worn. The toilet seat had scratches and stains on it and the TV was very old and blurry. I would never stay here again - we are going back this summer and will stay at the newly renovated Oriental.

To see more poor reviews on the Ritz please go here: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...Singapore.html
Apr 23rd, 2005, 10:53 AM

We are due to return to the Ritz later this year, so we read mlb's comments with interest. We'd seen the reviews on TripAdvisor and were puzzled, since our own experience was so different. Everything is a matter of personal taste, of course (we stayed at the Shangri-La in Singapore after reading all of the rave reviews on TripAdvisor and were incredibly disappointed -- it did not live up to the glowing reports when we were there). If you do stay at the Ritz in the coming months, will you post trip report when you get back -- we would love to hear about it since we are booked in there again later in the year.
Apr 23rd, 2005, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Wow, thanks very much for the very different reviews! I'm not much of a shopper which may make the RC a better bet.

However, I have seen the mixed tripadvisor reviews and I'm leaning towards the 4 seasons. We have one more night back in Singapore at the end of our trip and perhaps will try the other hotel at that time. Either way I will post a trip review when I get back.

Thanks again.
Apr 23rd, 2005, 02:32 PM

We'll look forward to your report. After reading mlb's comment we had a peek at the Mandarin website (we stayed at the Mandarin in Kuala Lumpur last year and loved it). It definitely looks worth considering now that it has been renovated. mlb -- did you find a way to get a good rate there? We plugged in our Dec dates and the rates for the Mandarin seemed high. Any booking tips would be great -- thanks!
Apr 23rd, 2005, 04:37 PM

I've never stayed at the Ritz Singapore(though I'm a ardent fan of the original in Boston) so I can't give a one on one comparison. I have, however, stayed at the FS dozens of times and it always comes through on service, comfort and location.

Central Singapore is somewhat claustrophobic and the FS is really jammed into an oddly shaped plot of land. The public areas are also wedged in -- the pools are pokey and the Western restaurant has no windows.

Having said that the positives are very positive. The service is really excellent, the food is first rate, and the decor, while traditional is aesthetically pleasing, warm and comfortable. The Chinese restaurant is good too -- though there are certainly better choices in Singapore. I like the continental breakfast serviced in the lounge adjacent to the health club. It's a light and airy space -- always quiet and welcoming. Special note: the Sunday brunch is popular to the point of insanity.

I'm not much of a shopper but I like the Orchard Road area for choice of restaurant, movies, and just walking around. I also like to go to the Botanical Gardens at sunrise which is about a 10-15 minute walk from the FS.

In comparison the Ritz is bigger, grander, and, I think, colder. There's plenty of access to shops and restaurants, but the area, again, to me, is just not as pedestrian friendly as Orchard Road.
Apr 23rd, 2005, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

I also looked at the Oriental's website which looks wonderful - particularly the club lounge.
Apr 23rd, 2005, 07:03 PM
mlb

Hello All,

I am likely going to use asiarooms.com to book the Oriental. They have city view rooms for $133 and harbour view rooms for $160 USD w/o breakfast. They are one of the few web sites that offers the harbour view rooms which are suppose to be some of the best outside of the club and premier rooms.

directrooms.com also has city view rooms with breakfast for $138 and sea view rooms for $154.

The best place it seems for pictures of the newly renovated hotel is mandarinoriental.com although I'm eagerly awaiting hotelcheckpoint.com and their new review of the renovated Oriental (not on the site yet).

I'll be at the Oriental in June and can also post a review when I return.
Apr 23rd, 2005, 07:52 PM

FYI: The Oriental is a nice hotel but there is construction going on at the building next door.
Apr 23rd, 2005, 08:03 PM

As to the question of Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons - I would say Four Seasons. Haven't stayed in either but in terms of location, Orchard road is better - closer to Little India, Botanic Garden, Chinatown... Also more selection of restaurants.

The historic/river district is nice but its very spread out.
Apr 24th, 2005, 06:17 PM

Ritz is a bigger hotel. rooms are bigger, the bathrooms sexiest in the world and has sea views. Sure the furniture is not brand new as the hotel is almost 10 yrs old but it is still world class. The renovation to the Marina Square mall next door is now completed.

FS is more intimate, boutique like. Rooms plain. But location is much better as it is closer to Orchard Rd.The RItz' location is more business and pretty dead on weekends.

Personally I'd prefer the RItz.

For Shang, you must stay at the new Valley Wing to appreciate the hotel.

But if you can, stay at the Raffles Hotel. There is no other like it!