Singapore experts - advice on Raffles

Jul 14th, 2005, 03:19 AM
Original Poster

Singapore experts - advice on Raffles

We are staying 3 nights at Raffles in Singapore, a hotel I have always wanted to try (have stayed at Ritz, Four Seasons and Fullerton in the past). What room should we ask for? Is there any difference?
Jul 14th, 2005, 07:59 AM

Hobbes....How was the Fullerton? I have a one-night reservation there for next month and am wondering if it's worth the money. I usually stay at the YMCA Hotel where I'll have a reservation for the other nights. And how is the Four Seasons in Singapore compared to the one in Bangkok which you know that I adore. I haven't done the Raffles yet...maybe next year. Happy Travels!
Jul 14th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I adore the Four Seasons Bkk to but somehow the one in S'pore lacked something for me. I cannot quite put my finger on what! The location is great, just off Orchard Road. The Fullerton is nice, good sized rooms, very modern - I like the location just across the Esplanade. My fav S'pore hotel is the Ritz Carlton - love the bathrooms, the rooms, the sushi buffet...we are staying at the Raffles because I want to see what all the hype is about and I have already stayed at the Ritz 3 times. For a cheaper option which is getting rave reviews why don't you look at 1929?
Jul 14th, 2005, 06:06 PM

Yeah the (marina view) rooms are beyond amazing at the RC in Singapore. The view just takes one's breath away. Happy Travels!
Jul 16th, 2005, 10:48 PM

If you are talking about the old colonial Raffles Hotel, I dont think they have Marina view rooms - the hotel is only 3 or 4 storeys. If you are talking about Raffles Plaza hotel, then yes they have marina views.

I suspect you are talking about the old colonial one. I havent stayed there so I can't really comment.
Jul 17th, 2005, 01:36 AM
Original Poster

RV224, thanks for replying. We have the flexibility to stay at whichever. Any comments re the difference and where we should try and stay would be much appreciated. Take it the old property has a colonial feel? Is it your sense that the Raffles Plaza with a marina view will be preferable?
Jul 17th, 2005, 03:29 AM

I would stay at the old Raffles. It's the one that is different from all the other modern deluxe hotels. If you like historic hotels this one is the one.
Jul 17th, 2005, 09:28 AM

Raffles The Plaza used to be the Westin Plaza. It's a nice hotel. great location, etc, but is not in any way special in the way the "Real" Raffles is. If you want to experience something unique, stay at Raffles. By the way, one of my favorite restaurants is Doc Cheng's in Raffles. Get one of the curtained booths.
Jul 17th, 2005, 12:09 PM

Rv224- We were talking about the marina view at the Ritz Carlton. I know the Raffles has no marina views. Happy Travels!
Jul 17th, 2005, 08:52 PM

I've seen a room in Raffels Hotel, its very old-style lux, traditional furniture, wooden floor boards, wooden fans, etc.
Needless to say the service you will get is excellent. You really need to spend lots of time in the hotel and soak it all in, if you are going out the whole day, the room will be a waste.
I see Raffles Hotel as one big restaurant complex, the place is crawling with chefs pacing about in their high hats. A very interesting site. Also be sure to take pictures with the Raffles Doorman - a big sized Sikh chap, he is THE most photographed icon in Singapore
Jul 18th, 2005, 11:37 PM

Get the rooms facing the courtyard as those facing the street can be noisy.All their rooms are nice and big with high ceilings.