Reload this Page >

Sightseeing in Asia

Search

Sightseeing in Asia

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2001, 12:44 PM
Amy

Sightseeing in Asia

My husband and two kids, 13 and 15, are trying to plan our vacation for summer 2002, but are having a really tough time figuring out where to go. Asia has sparked our interest, but we don't know what there really is to see. We were thinking about going to Thailand or Indonesia, but we don't know if all there really is are beaches. Would there be enough to see there. Howabout wildlife? We thought because of the rainforests there, that there would be a lot of animals but don't know for sure. We are also considering China, and would love any suggestions for other areas as well. (We'll probably get more confused but oh well!) Also I know maybe I shouldn't have this in this forum, but we are also thinking about Australia, but once again aren't sure what we will see there as well. Does anyone have a preference between Asia and Australia. Any help will be much appreciated.

Old May 26th, 2001, 01:59 PM
xxx

Why don't you start by picking up a good guide book and doing some research? That would answer your most basic questions about what attractions exist in various Asian countries. Then, perhaps you can pose more specific questions on forums like this.

Old May 27th, 2001, 07:29 AM
Amy

I thought that this forum was to give help to travellers. We have looked through many websites and brochures, but were interested in some people's opinions because we have been very indecisive so far. Please help us rather than tell us to look at books.

Old May 27th, 2001, 11:12 AM
kang

The biggest fun of travelling is to see things different from that available at home. For Asian countries, especially those in the east part of that continent, the real diferences, particularly for the first timers there, which I assume you are, would be the culture, the society, the people, and the religion. China, for instance, has all those things you mentioned, beautiful beach, wildlife, incredible landscape, and much more. But those, at least for most people, are not what you can gain the most by going there for the first time. Everyone loves the Great Wall. It is no doubt a marvelous architecture, but it is also the history, the Chinese way of thinking, in the past, at present, and probably into the future. The same holds true for other countries in that region as well. <BR> <BR>It is absolutely a great idea of visiting Asian countries. But I'd suggest that you plan to explore into more area of the "Asian life". It will be a wonderful experience, for the youngs too, and you will definitely have far more than enough things to see. <BR> <BR>-------------------------------- <BR>"The world is a book, and those who do not travel, read only a page." <BR> <BR>-St. Augustine <BR>--------------------------------

Old May 27th, 2001, 02:15 PM
Barb

Forget Indonesia.I have been to Jakarta and Bali.Easy to get sick,not much to do.Thailand is very exotic,with lots of temples and lots of shopping.I recommend Singapore.I lived there 1 1/2 yrs.Clean water,English spoken,many things to do and many cultures to experience.good food,American food.add China to see the culture there.Beijing for the Great Wall,Forbidden Palce,Summer Palace,Ming Tombs,etc,ect.have fun!

Old May 27th, 2001, 11:43 PM
Elaine

If you're interested in rainforests, wildlife and want a bit more than a beach, why not consider Sabah (in Malaysia)? I'm planning to go there for my next far east holiday (which is a long way off yet) and have found the following websites really helpful, with lots of detail about what you can expect to see.... <BR>http://www.infosabah.com.my/sabah/ <BR>http://www.borneoecotours.com/into.asp <BR>http://www.sabahtourist.com.my/ <BR>

Old May 29th, 2001, 04:49 PM
Kim

Well now is maybe not the time to go to Indonesia. <BR> <BR>My best travel experience of all time has to be Japan. There are so many things to do in a clean and safe environment. Tokyo is like a clean New York City. Hong Kong might be another interesting and maybe less expensive possibility. I have yet to go there but hope to go soon. I see travel packages that look pretty good. Have you heard of the Cathay Pacific All Asia Pass - log onto their web site and check it out. For around $1000 you can see something like 15 destinations (if you want) in 21 days. They also offer hotel packages. <BR> <BR>Have fun planning.

Old May 29th, 2001, 10:32 PM
Flynn

I actually just returned from Thailand on May 26,2001 and had a wonderful time. I visited Bangkok and pattaya which is 40 min south of Bangkok. I am actually planning to go back later in the year to cover the northern region of Thailand. <BR>Most first-time trips like these are best done thru a tour company, they arrange all travel,transportation,lodging, and most of the meals, this is very helpful when language is a problem. (ritztours.com & smartours.net) You should also consider the weather at your destination of choice. Summer in the U.S. doesn't correspond very well to S.E. Asia or China. (i.e. Thailand is rainy season, China is extremely HOT!) Good Luck in your search.

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 04:13 PM
lynn

Amy - <BR> <BR>I would recommend skipping Singapore. A big westernized city with a hint of Asian culture but it mostly feels like Disneyland. Zoos and theme parks can be done at home, IMO. <BR> <BR>Best choice I think would be Thailand. Bangkok for some high energy city life, a little siteseeing at the Grand Palace, Wat Arun and Wat Pho, and perhaps a little shopping if you like. Also good, cheap food. Then, Chiang Mai (in the north) for a slower pace. It's a city but much smaller than Bangkok with lots of "outdoor stuff" to do. Great after the hustle and bustle of Bangkok. Waterfalls, caves, trekking, elephant camps, butterfly farm, etc. <BR> <BR>I have two stepsons they are now 20 and 21) and I think they would have enjoyed a trip like that very much when 13 and 15. <BR> <BR>Depending on how much time you have, you could also do a city in Thailand to the south where you could do some snorkling, canoeing in caves, relaxing at the beach, etc. <BR> <BR>I would say Bangkok and Chiang Mai for sure. <BR> <BR>Lynn <BR> <BR

Old Jun 4th, 2001, 08:11 PM
Jeanne

I would agree with Lynn above. We took three teenagers last summer for a month in Thailand and Cambodia. Started out in Bangkok for 3 days and had a great time--temples, river tours, snake farm (python dangled around the teenage boy's neck was a great hit!), shopping at the weekend market, having clothes made at a tailors, eating at street stalls; then headed to Cambodia for 4 days in Siem Reap, visiting temples and silk/weaving farm, boat tour of huge lake called Tonle Sap, Cambodian dance (Cambodia was everyone's favorite place, well worth the expense of the airfare); then on to Chiang Mai for a week--trekking, riding elephants, mountain biking, visiting more temples, markets, river rafting; then on to Koh Samui for a week at the beach--snorkeling, more elephants, pearl farm, walking, eating. It was a great trip and we all enjoyed ourselves immensely. If you'd like more details, just e-mail me.

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 12:44 AM
Ursula

I completely disagree with Barb. Had a wonderful trip last year, mostly by train, through Java, Indonesia from Jakarta to the East side of Java and then over to Bali. I absolutely loved Java (not so Jakarta which is a huge and noisy city), but Jogya, Borobodur, Mount Bromo, etc. were just great. On the other hand, I found Bali disappointing. Had been there some 10 years ago and will not go back. It has changed so much, even small places like Ubud. <BR>Shall probably explore Malaysia for my next Asia trip. <BR>I agree with Lynn, Singapore is much too westernized. A lot of artificial stuff, like Sentosa, etc. <BR>For first-timers to Asia, I would suggest the North of Thailand (Golden Triangle) followed by a couple of days in Hua-Hin.

Old Jun 5th, 2001, 06:11 AM
xx

Come visit Singapore. <BR>You can use Singapore as a base to explore the region eg China. <BR>Check out the local travel agents like <BR>www.chanbrothers.com, http://www.dynastytravel.com.sg and www.kenair.com.sg <BR>You can get cheap basic travel packages (air ticket+accommodation+food). <BR>Do however check that the guide is English-speaking as some tours have only Mandarin-speaking guides. <BR>Cheers

Old Jun 13th, 2002, 09:51 AM
kriemann

I totally disagree w/ Barb too! I stayed in Thailand for 3 weeks this year and stayed in Bali for 6 nts last yr....and as much fun as I had in Thailand, I can honestly say I loved Bali more. It's sooo beautiful and the people are so friendly.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 09:45 PM
Mukhiya Gurung

Tibet can be interesting for you and your family. Because this is the right time for Tibet tour.

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 04:08 AM
fiona

Ursula<BR>We have been looking at going to Hua Hin next Easter. Could you perhaps give some of your thoughts on it? We like some relaxation, a few trips and eating if possible where the locals eat. We are going to Bangkok and Koh Samui in the next few days and chose Hua Hin as it will be a different experience(ie not hectic like Bangkok and a little less touristy than Koh Samui)

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 02:48 AM
Carrie

My choice will be: Thailand, Bali and Hongkong for contract of Asian culture. And only go to Singapore if you are stopping over to change flight, Singapore has one the best airports in the world and just that.

Old Jul 29th, 2002, 07:54 AM
guan

Hey, Singapore's not artificial. We are modernized, but we still have some culture left behind in Chinatown, Little India etc. We are only 36 years old. What kind of cultural and historical stuff do you expect from us? Being able to see a synagogue exist side by side a catholic church and chinese temple is more than enough for me. If you want something with more cultural, more history, go to Paris or some shit. Singapore's a young country. Don't expect too much from it. 36 years. Thats how long it took us to built up from a bloody cesspool to a country which all Singaporeans can be proud of.<BR><BR>Cut us some slack

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 01:01 PM
traveler

What's there to see???!! How about a ton of different countries full with people, culture, food, sounds and colors that you just don't see in the US. Any option in Asia has a rich history and a reason to visit. If you go to Indonesia, don't only go to a beach in Bali. Go to the island of Java and visit the amazing buddist monument of Borobudor. Visit the temples of Prambanan, or the volcanos at Bromo. Such a fabulous country.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 01:19 PM
jorge

there are plenty of tours that offer HK, bangkok, singapore and Bali for around $1300 form the US.<BR><BR>if you want too stick in an area..for you I'd say thailand it has the wilderness up in chang Rai you can take elephent rides and stay in tribal villiges. Bangkok's full of temples, <BR>and the southern beaches are world famouse..<BR><BR>