Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Just returned from Asia-hassle factor unbelievable!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 10:36 AM
Steve

We looked forward to our first trip to Asia for months. We spent countless hours on the internet reading message boards and general information on the three countries we visited China, Vietnam and Thailand. We checked every book out of the library on these countries.<BR><BR>Each and everything we read about those countries on the internet and at the library was terribly wrong. So much misinformation out there!<BR><BR>Here is what we found:<BR><BR>Incredible air pollution. Our eyes stung and burned, out throats were raw from the incredible smog. We have lived in Houston and LA and thought we have seen smog. You have not seen anything until you visit Bangkok, China and the cities in Vietnam!<BR><BR>Incredible number of people who spend their entire day hassling tourists. These consisted of touts, beggers, children, con-men, or what ever you want to call them. Walking down the street was nearly impossible in all three countries without being hassled on a regular basis. (CONSTANTLY!) NO! was not a word they understood. Vietnam was the worst but the other countries were just terrible.<BR><BR>The number of aimless people on the street that just stood around all day, sourounded by trash was incredible. With so much trash everywhere couldn't they clean things up for something to do.<BR><BR>Finally the noise factor was incredible!<BR><BR>Next time we are going to a nice place like maybe Idaho!

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 11:38 AM
Tommy

I have to agree, but sadly. The world has so much ugly places. I kiss the ground when I return to the USA and thank god I live here!

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 02:26 PM
Kathie

To each his/her own. <BR><BR>I love Asia, and southeast Asia in particular. Pollution varies, depending on season (the worst pollution I've ever experienced was in Kathmandu, be forwarned, but it's not a reason to fogo visiting Nepal). While there are beggars and touts, I haven't found it as bothersome as you obviously did. I have to say, I find the homeless here in our own country more distressing. <BR><BR>You haven't mentioned what you liked about your trip. Did you visit the wonderful temples? did you see the remains of ancient civilizations? did you see traditional dance or theatre? I visit other countries for all of these experiences and more. If I am inconvenienced in the process, that's part of the cost of these experiences that are so personally valuable to me.

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 03:05 PM
kang

Apparently Steve hadn't experienced anything positive during his visit. In fact, he found the collective knowledge of the tour professionals and travelers about Asia, either on the internet or from books, "Each and everything" of them, was completely wrong. <BR><BR>Since this was his first trip to China, most of his time must have been spent in places like Beijing, Shanghai, Xi'an, etc. According to him, in Beijing or Shanghai, it is nearly impossible for tourists to walk down the street because of "incredible number of ... touts, beggers, children, con-men"...<BR>That is simply not true, period.<BR><BR><BR><BR>

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 03:19 PM
Ted

As another person who recently went to China, I have to agree with the orginal poster about the beggers and touts- incredibly tiring! They are everywhere and hassle people on a regular basis.<BR><BR>Anyone who says this is not true, never left their hotel room, or have a terrible case of denial, or political correctness!

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 04:27 PM
Les

People of Idaho, you've had your warning! Steve's coming. Hide your beggars!

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 05:49 PM
Spud

Is it potatoe picking season all ready?

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 06:22 PM
A Patriot

Hey look! A former Vice-President (of the US) puts messages on this site.

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 07:51 PM
beggar

Here we go again, Steve ([email protected])! You sure have changed your identity a few times but we can still tell!<BR><BR>According to Nielssonn Internet Monitor, over 90% of internet users who frequent message boards are people with average income but feel they are superior to their fellow citizens anyway. They post messages frequently because they can't find audience anywhere else and they come back to check their own postings everyday. That basically describes people like me! I am writing this stuff from an internet cafe... My time is up, hey, can I borrow a quarter...........

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 11:57 PM
Ugh

Maybe in a couple of weeks you can reword this post one more time so we can get another dose of it.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 12:30 AM
wayne

I was going to write a satire on how I hated the noise, light and moral pollution of vegas but I wont stoop so low as Steve/Kevin/Tommy/Ted who needs an audience every once a week. So I'm going to ignore the poor insecure lonely fellow.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 04:23 AM
Ted

From Ted:<BR><BR>Please do not link me with the orginal poster. I am not him! Just because I share his opinion???

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 05:53 AM
topper

ttt

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 07:21 AM
donna

I have to agree with original post.<BR><BR>The reason you don't read about it is because it isn't PC. Notice how people get slammed when they post something similar.<BR><BR>Truth hurts sometimes.

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 11:38 AM
bruno

Hi Steve<BR><BR>I am sure you only visited the big cities in SE-Asia. Bangkok is not Thailand like LA is not USA. If you visited f.e Mae Hongson, Sukothai, Chiang Rai and all the islands in the south like Koh Lanta/Koh Phangan etc. you would like it as well as you do it in Idaho. You can see poor people all around the world also here in Berne/Switzerland. So our goal in holidays is all the time to avoid the huge cities. Try it again and you would see it in a different way. Your Swiss travelfreaks Esther and Bruno

Old Jun 30th, 2002, 01:50 PM
Felicia

It's been awhile since I frequented this board, and then I was looking at the Turkey board. How I wish someone had warned me about the consistent pestering that took place. I could have been prepared or changed my travel plans. Why is it that when someone states what their experience has been, people take it so damn personal? The OP stated HIS experience, for which I am very grateful, and most of the posts that followed blasted him. If every city, person, museum, restaurant and activity is so wonderful, then how boring would our travels be! I am glad to hear about the bad things & the good about the cities I plan to visit. Thanks to the OP and others like him, we get the true insight to a city. <BR>

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 12:12 PM
Lord Keay

Have to agree that all these places do have lots of beggars and smog. But some of these people earn considrably less than $1 a day. But they are still wonderful wonderful places. I've travelled to asia on a regular basis and never had any bother.<BR><BR>I was however once held up at gun point in the smog free and beggar free USA<BR>

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 08:20 AM
hutch

We have visited thailand, nepal, Bali and Vietnam. The only place that touts and beggars spoiled the place was in Bali, and then only at tourist sites and beach resorts, it was also our fist asian holiday. Perhaps you learn to block it them out. In vietnam last year I found the people fabulous, and even the touts would respect a "no thanks". We visit in October and have never encountered smog in Bangkok or Ho Chi Minh. However we travel alone and perhaps we can steer clear of hassle that way. Personally I prefer Asia to the USA. Adrian UK.

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 12:41 PM
foriegner

what, please, is a 'tout' ??

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 07:31 AM
Jerry

A tout is someone promoting an attraction, event, hotel or place to eat- that will drive you crazy by hassling you for ever until you agree to visit. They like to pester and mislead tourists.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -