Side trip: ChiangMai or Sapa??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2009, 01:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For our 2 week trip to Thailand and VN in Oct., we'd also like to fit in a side trip from either BKK or Hanoi.

We could either spend 3 nights in CM or 2nights + train travel to Sapa.

Any thoughts?
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 02:02 AM

Definitely Sapa or maybe the Mai Chau valley which has spectacular scenery, is less touristy and a lot closer to Hanoi.
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks crellston.

Anyone else? If we did Sapa, we would still do HaLong Bay and just take a few days away from Bangkok.

So the ratio would be something like:
HAN: 3 days
Sapa: 4 days
Halong bay: 3 days
Bangkok: 5 days
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 05:06 PM

Sounds like a good schedule. Maybe 1 more day in Hanoi and one less on Halong bay.
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 05:10 PM

I'm not fond of Chiang Mai, though some others are. I'm someone who "never" gets bored, but I felt bored after two days in CM on my first trip there. Sapa people love or hate. Read some trip reports here. Craig did an excellent report about their stay with some good ideas for getting off the tourist track.

Let me say, though, that three days in Hanoi isn't much. I thought most people took the night train to Sapa, which would likely allow you to cut one day. I'm assuming your Halong Bay trip is two nights, but you might want to reconsider.
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks... I've been considering that too (1 less HB) and 1 more Hanoi.

I just read Craig's TR on Sapa...I had read bits of it previously on Hanoi. I was hoping to stay on Cat Ba for 1 night and do a sidetrip to a little village but I guess that will have to wait.

We were considering CM because of a recommendation to visit the elephant camp.

That's it then, we'll definitely have to begin planning our *next trip!
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 06:51 PM

It always a good thing to have somewhere you didn't get to or something you didn't do as a starting point for the next trip!
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 07:55 PM

any place but chiang mai....the elephant place is a good take however... and its cheap to get to CM....
Old Aug 19th, 2009, 02:40 PM

IF you want to do HA LONG BAY AND SAPA you must take care booking the arrangements.

Book your CRUISE. When you know your date of return from HLB go to the station and BOOK AN OVERNIGHT TRIP TO LAO CAI for the same day.

HLB tours usually get back to Ha Noi around 17.00H and this means that you have plenty of time to get to PLATFORM 10 by 21.30H.

When you go to the station to buy your ticket check out the platforms - you will see why you should get there early - Platform 10 is on the other side!

Do **NOT** buy your Lao Cai ticket EXCEPT from the station as some Ha Noi travel agents sell you a poor choice and charge you too much.

Hotels you use in Ha Noi will allow you to store excess baggage whilst on your side trips - IF YOU USE THEM BEFORE AND AFTER YOUR SIDE TRIPS.

Sometimes you cannot buy a return ticket from Lao Cai to Ha Noi in Ha Noi. Don't worry, there are plenty of return tickets in Sa Pa.
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 12:59 AM

CM or Sapa is well worth visiting but if you have to make a choice, then Sapa is better. Magnificent landscape, verdant mountains will inspire a photographer in you for sure.
BMT: Most of the return drive from HLB to Hanoi now ending up at approx 3.30 pm, not 5 pm any more. Train tickets can be obtained at the station but for the basic standard only. Other trains that give alot more comfort to travelers as Victoria, King Express, Livitrain.. can only be sold at their own operation offices or through travel agencies. King Express will depart early at 8.35 pm. You quoted "Do **NOT** buy your Lao Cai ticket EXCEPT from the station as some Ha Noi travel agents sell you a poor choice and charge you too much." So what the heck happen to you as your voices seem that negatively. As a travel operator, I feel hurt hichic.