Quick advice needed! Hanoi or Ho Chi Minh for 4-day stopover

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25th, 2009, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By some weird synergy of air miles and air fares, stopping over in Vietnam on my way from Thailand to the U.S. will save me a great deal in airfare. I'll save about $175 more if I stop in HCMC than if I stop in Hanoi, but in the very short time I have had to research, Hanoi/Halong Bay sounds like the place to see.

I don't really see myself returning to Asia anytime soon. With 4 days, should I see Hanoi/Halong Bay or HCMC?

In terms of my interests, I like visiting historical sites and temples, but if they're only about 100 yrs old, not so much. I love beaches and could use some time on the beach right about now. I love Chiang Mai and hate Bangkok, if that helps! I won't have much time, so I don't know if it would be worth it to spend time in a city I can't get a feel of.

I know this is an odd sort of post, but I hope I can get some useful advice! I need to book my ticket like yesterday, and I just don't have time to figure all this out on my own.

Thanks fellow wanderlusters,

mp413
Old Nov 25th, 2009, 04:49 AM

If you like smaller cities (Chiang Mai vs. Bangkok) I think you'd prefer Hanoi. I love Hanoi and have been twice...I'm not a huge BKK fan. Hanoi is smaller and more accessible/easily walkable than HCMC. Interesting historic buildings in the old quarter.
Old Nov 25th, 2009, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

thanks for that cruisin - if flying in a Friday evening, and flying out on a Wed. morning, is it conceivable to see both Hanoi and Halong Bay? I know they have 2-day tours...
Old Nov 25th, 2009, 05:12 AM

I did Halong Bay as a day trip. Althought it was a longish drive each way (3 hrs maybe) the drive was interesting. And I think I saw enough of Halong Bay in 1 day.
Old Nov 25th, 2009, 05:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't find the Halong Bay drive that interesting (but by that point I'd already seen quite a lot of Vietnam), and I wouldn't want to do it in both directions on the same day. Also, there's plenty to do in Hanoi - you could easily spend all your time there. I much preferred it to Saigon, but if you're going in winter the weather may not be very good (cool and wet).
Old Nov 25th, 2009, 06:54 AM

While I am still in my own planning stages for Vietnam, from my readings, I think a great alternative day trip which would be closer would be as follows:

Hanoi – Tam Coc – Hoa Lu
Drive to Ninh Binh Province. Visit the former capital - Hoa Lu and the remains of Dinh and Le Kings’ temples. Proceed to Tam Coc tourist center for lunch. After lunch get on small rowing boats to travel along the canals with local villages, passing the green fields and enjoying the so called 'Ha Long bay On Land', go through 3 caves and then row back to boat quay. Visit Bich Dong cave, the king conferred on Bich Dong the title "The second most beautiful grotto in Vietnam”, climb up the Ngu Hanh Son Mountain range, charmed by the marvelous scenery offered by the mountains, rivers and pagodas. Drive back to Hanoi in the late afternoon for overnight.
Old Nov 25th, 2009, 05:45 PM

Just enjoy one day city in Ha Noi and 3 days 2 nights for Ha Long Bay cruise!
Old Nov 26th, 2009, 12:42 AM

Depending what you are interested in, I'd vote for Hanoi. I enjoyed it more than Ho Chi Minh. However there is the Mekong delta which is worth at least a day and the Cu Chi tunnels if war sites interest you.
Old Nov 26th, 2009, 12:33 PM

Another vote from me for Hanoi.

Hanoi is much more 'earthy' and although also a busy city it is no where near as busy and developed/modern as HCMC.

There's lots to see/do and I would do an overnight trip to Halong Bay (3hrs drive there and back). As per Thurdaysd advice be mindful of the weather. We were there in March - Hanoi was cool with light rain. Halong Bay was pleasant in the day but cold at night. We stayed on a small island overnight and needed long trousers and fleeces. We also had an electric blanket on our bed!

Enjoy.
Old Nov 27th, 2009, 09:20 AM

just back from a 15 day trip to VN/Cambodia. I think 1 day in Hanoi is more than enough, what with the traffic and general city chaos. I loved the touristy water puppet theater though, and also enjoyed the tour of HCMC. Instead of Halong Bay (which is about 3 hrs of boring landscape and then all about sitting on a boat) why don't u consider taking the night train to Sapa and doing a day hike into the mountain areas among the tribal people. You can get a great foot massage, do some shopping, and take the night train back to Hanoi in time for your flight out. The car holds 4 people, but u can (for not much $$) buy out the whole car and have it to yourself. The sleeper car is TINY!
Old Nov 28th, 2009, 11:05 PM

"I think 1 day in Hanoi is more than enough" You have to be joking annergizer! We spent a eek there last year and still didn't run out of things to see and do.

I love HCMC. it has loads of recent history and some great restaurants and a really buzzing feeling to the city. There are temple and pagodas there but it is more famous for the sights linked to the American war and, of course the Delta. However, mp413, given your stated interest in historical sights I really think Hanoi would be a better choice. The old qurter is fascinating and you could esily spend a day there just wandering around. Other major sights worth seeing include the One Pillar Pagoda, Quan Su Pagoda and the Temple of Literature. More recent historical sites include Ho Chi Minh's mausoleum, his residence and museum.

Personally, Halong bay would not be my first choice - too touristy and with only four days, a visit to Sapa, spectacular though the scenery is, just takes too much time. If you wont to get out into the countryside then take either a long day trip, or an o/n trip to the Mai Chau valley. Superb scenery, very peaceful and a chance to see rural Vietnam. V. friendly people too.