Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Shopping in Japan. Any suggestions on things to bring home?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2003, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be in Japan next week on business. Tokyo and Kyoto. Does anyone have any suggestions for good shopping, gifts to bring home?
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 05:56 PM

Hai!

So: http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/spn/kyoto/shopping/index.html
http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/TD/shopping/spot.html#flea
Old Oct 12th, 2003, 11:17 PM

Bonjour Bob,

You'll find excellent suggestions for Kyoto in "Kyoto Visitor's Guide", that you'll find for free at most hotels and tourism offices, and here http://www.kyotoguide.com/index/index.html
Old Oct 13th, 2003, 05:36 AM

I'd suggest one or more of the small scroll paintings. They're beautiful (at least the nicer ones are), they're easy to pack and carry in your luggage, and they'll long be a reminder of your trip. If you buy a nice scroll, be sure to also get the storgae box for it -- makes it easier and safer to carry, and you'll be able to keep the scroll for years and years (rotate between a few months on display, a few months in the storage box).
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 04:18 AM

The gift that I liked the best (for both to ourselves and others) was purchasing Japanese curtains. They can be the short type or the longish type. They are usually in the traditional Japanese dye colors. They are so beautiful and provide a touch of Japan after you get back home. Just get some bamboo rods to thread through the loops and hang on a door.

We stayed at Shigetsu in Asakusa so we purchased them at Bengara very close by that sells the curtains. We made many trips back to the store since we just had to get another one. Bonus is that they are pack so light and small, can't beat them for gifts.
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 08:28 AM

Being a tea fanatic, I bought a lot of tea--green, roasted, etc. They make wonderful gifts and the quality can't be beat. In Kyoto, I particularly liked the tea shop in the basement of the department store in Kyoto station--Fujian something. They had excellent quality tea in many price ranges and everything was beautifully packaged too. Highly recommended. In Tokyo, the large department stores in Ginza also have great tea selections.
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 10:16 AM

Second Tsutomo's suggestion on the noren. I've given many of them as gifts and they are all still hanging. Unique gift.
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 12:04 PM

Although I am a Japanese, I wondered what curtain ? reading Tsutomu's post until I read og719's comment. Yes, noren! Shame on me. I also like tenugui, hankerchief like thin and long towel. In Asakusa at one of the masters' shops , I bought some of the type with traditional (but not too popular) images printed (hand painted?) for myself and for my friends in Europe. Some have very impressive images and I never use them as towels but framed them on the wall.
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 03:14 PM

At the Oriental Bazaar in Tokyo (I believe is in Omotesando) I bought those wonderful cotton robes, with the batwing sleeves, called yukata. They come sized for kids through adults and in a variety of prints. My favorites were the traditional Japanes bue and white block print style. I think they were about $18-20 US. Easily packed. I wish I had bought more.
Old Oct 15th, 2003, 04:08 PM

Speaking of yukata, I have two. The soft one is white with a blue pattern and says "Kyoto Kokusai Hotel" (from Nara). The crisp one with an abstract pattern is from the Tokyo Hilton.

Old Oct 16th, 2003, 04:45 AM

mrwunrfl, did you buy "yukata" from Tokyo Hilton or they give it to you. If you bought it, what was the cost?

We'll be staying in Shinjuku Hilton next April.

Thank you.
Old Oct 16th, 2003, 06:45 AM

Hi Bob! As a huge watch lover look into getting a Grand Seiko watch. They are available in Japan and the Orient but not outside there and are top of the line watches, very well made and compare in fit, finish and perfection of movement with top line Swiss brands. Of course if you are not a watch guy then forget it but they could make a nice gift for someone who may be. Cheers, Larry
Old Oct 17th, 2003, 10:15 AM

A couple of things that have made sucessful gifts for us:
Odd shaped little dishes. There are so many unusual ones in ceramic or wood...
Wonderful glazes and shapes: square, leaf shaped, abstract. They're easy to carry, and can be used for display or make nice olive or hors devours plates at home.

Also like the little gold ornaments/amulets? that they sell at temples. They're beautiful and best of all very small and light. Often come in velvet pouches. Good for the Xmas tree or hanging on a cord and wearing as a necklace.
Old Oct 19th, 2003, 03:28 PM

In Tokyo I always manage a shopping trip to Itoya for Japanese paper, art, and stationery items. Also love to browse at Tokyu Hands -- just never know what wonderful stuff I'll find!
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 04:50 AM

Hi kiyotaka,

You'll be at the same hotel. About the yukata: there were two in the drawer. I wore one and brought the other one home. I didn't pay for it and they didn't exactly <i>give</i> it to me.