Notices

Gifts to bring to Japan?

Mar 24th, 2006, 08:36 AM
lvc
Original Poster

Gifts to bring to Japan?

I'm going to be visiting families in Japan, what are some good "American" gifts to bring for them?
Mar 31st, 2006, 06:47 PM

yeah.. i am curious too.
Mar 31st, 2006, 06:56 PM

Nowadays, there are very few things American that you can't get in Japan. I struggle to find gifts to bring back with me every time. Some of the most successful ones have been local products...you know, Vermont maple syrup if you are from Vermont.

Small jars of gourmet jams (like Stonewall Kitchen), maple syrup, interesting condiments/sauces, gourmet teas/coffees (ground beans, few people have a grinder)....keychains, fridge magnets, cute notepads...

Kids...pencils, pens, notepads, rulers with cutouts for tracing, Fruit rollups with tongue tattoos (daughter picked these out at Walmart last month and they were loved by all).

Small gifts are better than big, wrapped is best (good manners), and don't expect the gift to be opened in front of you...though it might be.

Mar 31st, 2006, 07:19 PM
emd

The Japanese generally seem to love sweets. Last time (and I am doing it again this time) I took Ghiradelli chocolates. I know they can get chocolates in Japan, but Ghiradelli is made here and it is good (in my opinion, the best) American chocolate. It was well received. And I never saw Ghiradelli anywhere in Japan.
Mar 31st, 2006, 08:14 PM

We can get Ghiradelli...but not the wide variety you can get in the states. The only thing about chocolates is that they are the most common gift of travellers. Whenever someone travels, they should bring back gifts, omiyage, to their friends and coworkers. Chocolates are the #1...lightweight, can buy in the airport, everyone likes them. That's why I didn't include chocolates in my list...they are good, just not special.
Apr 3rd, 2006, 01:12 PM

I bought a book that has interesting stories about my state (NJ)to bring to the Japanese family. Now I realize they won't be able to read it - how dumb of me!!!! I'm leaving in a little over a week and I guess I need to bring something else.
Apr 3rd, 2006, 01:48 PM

Perhaps bring gift bags to wrap your gifts in. Don't wrap and try to send through airport security--you'll probably have to unwrap!

My HK cousins always like American name brand stuff (Nike sweatsuit jackets etc.) and stamps. But they collect stamps.
Apr 3rd, 2006, 08:55 PM

A friend from Japan gave me this suggestion. She wanted designer name pillow cases such as Ralph Lauren, but she didn't want the whole set of sheets. I was able to get several Polo pillowcases at discounted prices at Ross's. You might find them cheaper at the dept. stores during their clearance sales. They also liked my Polo towels I got at Costco and went to Costco to buy some to take home. They are very name brand conscious, and like Polo, Burberry, Chanel, Vuitton. They also appreciate handmade or home made items. Do you have any hobbys or crafts?

Search this Thread