Travel advice for Stopover in Korea

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 10:38 AM
john

Travel advice for Stopover in Korea

I have an eleven hour stopover in Seoul during my travel in Jan. I arrived early morning and leave early evening. Can someone recommend a good iternairy for a glimpse of Korea?

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 01:28 PM
kathy

Are you by any chance flying Asiana Air to Seoul? If so, they offer a free hotel room and transport to it + a meal ticket. At least that's what I experienced with them this past February. It was so nice to shower and have a comfortable nap.

Old Nov 30th, 2001, 03:18 PM
texasgirl

John, I'm interested in this too; we have a similar layover in Seoul in January. (Flying Korean Air from Ho Chi Minh back to Dallas.) I'm interested in seeing a bit of Seoul but have spent my spare time researching Vietnam so haven't found anything on Korea yet!

Old Dec 2nd, 2001, 05:23 AM
Hokyoon

hello there!
if you have 11 hours, you will be able to taste literally a bit of seoul, but it's worth the try, i'm sure.

it will take about 1.5 hours to get into the city center from the airport, and almost the same time to get back to where you're supposed to take the flight again. that means you have approximately 5 to 6 hours for spending in seeing around the city. (2 hours for the boarding process)

however, there is one big problem. if you're a u.s. citizen, you need a valid visa to enter republic of korea. if you're not troubled with this, you can post another message, then i'll help you out.

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 06:42 AM
texasgirl

Hokyoon, i thought US citizens didn't need visas, just their passports, as long as they had an onward ticket...maybe I misinterpreted what I read though...

Old Dec 3rd, 2001, 07:08 AM
kathy

I can only report my experience of last February in Seoul. NO visa was asked for or required when I went to a local hotel for an 11 hour stopover. I was free to leave the hotel and did so for a long walk in the neighborhood.

Old Dec 4th, 2001, 11:01 AM
Michele

There are some KAL, and other airport limo busses that are pretty reasonable in price. Depending if you are into that kind of thing, the National Museum, and some interesting palace's. The city is pretty modern and the people are very helpful. Cabs moderately priced and a good subway system.

Old Dec 4th, 2001, 01:58 PM
john

Thanks for the response. I also thought you don't need a VISA to visit Seoul. I am a US citizen. Where would you recommend I head into during that 5 -6 hour of free time? Incidentally, I arrive on a weekday, early morning?
I would like to have lunch, see a little one or two sites and buy some sovernirs. Thanks

Old Dec 5th, 2001, 10:44 PM
Hokyoon

First of all, I think I have to say sorry to everyone here who might have been confused with what I wrote on the board concerning the issue on visa. Actually as a citizen of Seoul, I just thought of the matter simple. Sorry again!

Anyway, if you have that much of time, Insadong will be a perfect place for you. It has a lot of souvenir shops and some little shops for traditional art and craft of Korea. There you can taste some Korean food and if you're lucky enough, you will meet street performances of Korean music and dances.

Insadong is located in downtown Seoul, and you will have no trouble going there from the airport. An approximate journey time is less than 2 hours depending on the time of the day.

Further questions? Post a message!

I hope you can enjoy your short stay in Seoul!

Old Mar 15th, 2003, 06:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also will have a long stopover in Seoul and have read these posts with interest. Any updates or further suggestions since the last post--December, 2001? Has transportation into Seoul been streamlined in any way since then?
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 02:56 AM

hi,
after collecting your bags (i assume incheon international airport), head out of the terminal and board the airport limousine bus no. 602-1. ask the porters and they will direct you to the right bus stop. the fare costs about $5 to downtown seoul and will probably take about an hour. when you board the bus, tell the driver to drop you off at insadong or anguk station. cross the street to board the same bus (602-1) when you wish to return to the airport. goodluck.
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 08:00 AM

Thanks, Fate...
Getting to see even a little bit of the local color will take the aggrevation out of a long stopover. I appreciate your input. One more thing--there has been mention of a visa requirement. I'm a US citizen. Do you have any information on whether that is required for ongoing passengers?
Old Mar 17th, 2003, 02:20 PM

Bo2642,
i am an american expat working here in seoul... i think american citizens get 30 days with no visa required. you might have to pay for airport tax again when you go back to the airport.
regards.
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 05:21 AM

We have a six hour layover during the day of Dec. 23, departing Bangkok at 1 a.m. That is probably too short a time to go into the city.
Has anyone used a day room at a nearby hotel? Flying Delta/Korean airlines.