Shopping in Hong Kong

Search

Shopping in Hong Kong

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2005, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shopping in Hong Kong

Does anyone know the approximate hours of the shops in following areas of H.K.??

Fa Yuen Street
Li Yuen Street East and West
Nathan Road
Granville Road
The Pedder Building

I know this might be a tough question, but which of the above do you think has the best knock-offs as far as quality and price??
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 08:09 AM

All approximate...

- Fa Yuen St. I think you mean most of the stores in Mongkok, including the Ladies' Market stalls. They are usually open around noon-midnight.

- Li Yuen Street E & W. About 10am till 6pm.

- Nathan Road is very long, and divided into sections. The higher-end stores in Tsim Sha Tsui are usually 10am till around 10pm; in Mongkok a little later.

- Granville Road. Like the rest of Tsimshatsui, around 10-10.

- Pedder Building. Haven't gone into it for a while. But like rest of Central, about 10-7 or 8.

I assume when you say "knock-offs", you mean fake goods with designer brand names on them. The HK Government has really cracked down on these stuff, and they are not easy to find. I think your best bet may be the Temple Street market in Kowloon. I haven't been there for a while, but you may see people holding pictures of the goods, and after you agree with the prices, then they bring you somewhere, or have someone else give you the goods.

Most people who want fake goods now go up to Shenzhen for it. More widespread, less police enforcement, cheaper prices.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Rkkwan! That's what I figured the situation with the knock-offs were now....that they're a little harder to find now. I wasn't sure if the Temple St. Market had knock-offs, but I guess they should since they have pretty much everything else.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

I forgot....yes, by knock-offs, I'm mostly looking for fake name-brand watches, clothes, maybe shoes, and purses.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Rkkwan, are you familiar with places in H.K. where you can get eye glasses real cheap? I read somewhere that there shops that will make your eye glasses for you real cheap, as long as you bring your prescription.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 09:02 AM

The best knockoffs- as far as designer bags- are not on display. We were at the ladies market and some of the stalls had knockoffs but when my wife asked to see the better quality ones- they took us to a storeroom about a block away up a few floors on an elevator and unlocked a room and walla!
There before us was a whole room of the good stuff! Hermes, Christian Dior, Ferragamo, YSL, Guess (note forget Louis Vitton- everyone carries that so just pass on that brand). Bargain hard- I would say take at least 40% off the asking price.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 09:21 AM

I have a particular place where I get my glasses, but they are not that cheap and not many choices. I go because my dad was a business partner with the owner once, many years ago.

But there are tonnes of optical shops in many districts and malls. The Optical Shop, etc... Not "real cheap", but most should be cheaper than in the US.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 06:48 PM

There are more and more optical shops for bargain spectacles (I think about USD100 for two pairs) not in ground floor shops but higher up in a commercial centre in Causeway Bay, Mongkok, etc. I recall having seen one in Radio City in Causeway Bay, just a few buildings next to Sogo. They usually have banners or notice boards placed near the entrance of that building.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 10:21 PM

Hitchhiking on the thread ... does anyone know where I could go to buy fabric in HK? I don't intend to buy wholesale though - just multiple denominations of different selections for craft use etc. Thanks.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 05:40 AM

I haven't been there for a while, and the prices probably won't be cheap, but you can try the various stalls at the Western Market near the Sheung Wan MTR. It was an old fresh food market coverted to sell craft stuff...
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 05:42 AM

And there may be a few on Lai Yuen East and West Streets in Central.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 08:52 AM

JannaG, try Sham Shui Po or Lai Chi Kok.
I haven't been there before, but a fashion designer told me that's where she goes when she wants new ideas.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 09:47 AM

Thanks for the ideas. I'll check some of these places out when I'm there in a few weeks.
Old Apr 30th, 2005, 10:27 PM

You may like to try Fa Yuen Street in Mongkok and Po Ling Street in Jordan where we locals shop for fabrics. If you want it for curtains and such, the IKEA shop in Shatin would likely have designs more suited for westerners.