Shangri-la Vs Conrad International ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2004, 02:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to Bangkok in January and I've two good deals. One with the Shangri-la and one with the Conrad Hotel.
$223 for a Horizon Club Room at the Shangri-la or $187 for a Club Room at the Conrad.The Conrad has the bigger room.

Has anyone got an opinion as to which I should go for ?.
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 06:15 AM

If those are per night prices, they are VERY high. (You should easily be able to get a suite for those prices.) I'd suggest taking a look at www.asiahotels.com and just browse through the 5 star hotels in Bangkok. There are many. Search on this board for Bangkok Hotels and you'll find dozens of posts reviewing various hotels. asiahotels.com has good prices on hotels, so it will give you a feel for what kinds of prices you should expect to pay.
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 09:28 AM

my preference is always to be on the river and the conrad does not offer that....so i would choose the sh-la...the conrad is newer and in a great location....it all depends on the focus of your trip...

i agree with kathie that the prices are very high....for a lesser price you could stay at the peninsula in much nicer rooms...and its on the river...

also look at www.huahin.20m.com (hotel site which includes taxes, service and breakfasts usually)
click on other locations and use the drop down window to choose bangkok...
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 09:37 AM

The price seems very high. I got the Peninsula for $160. just at the end of August and have always gotten the Four Seasons for $138. weekends and $158. weekdays...for a standard room. Happy Travels!
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 09:39 AM

You might try Priceline.com. The Shangri-la is 5 star in the Riverside/Silom area. My brother got several nights for $65 per night. He had to keep changing his bid because he got rejected, but he just changed the dates and got a great deal. Others on this board have also done this.
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 05:55 PM

I'm not a big fan of the Shangri La and think the river location is one of the only draws. Having said that I agree with all other posters that it is worth it if you stay there for less than US$100 per night. The Conrad is a great city hotel, very modern and sleek, good restaurants and bars, close to the Night Market - tho I prefer the Four Seasons personally. Rates you are getting are def high for Bkk.
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 07:31 PM
CFW

Actually, the rates Lesg listed are the rates that asiahotels.com is offering for a Horizon Club Room @ the Shangri-La in January. (By the way, what is a Horizon Club Room?) Hotel rates are significantly higher in Thailand at that time of year. I couldn't even find the Shangri-La on www.huahin.20m.com for January. Priceline is great if you can get it & your dates are flexible.
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 08:26 AM

I'm staying at the Conrad next month and after extensive searches found the best rates at the hotels own website www.conradhotels.com. In January executive floor rooms are about $165 or $140 for prepaid rates.
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 08:36 AM

while at the conrad make sure that you take in the dim sum lunch on the 3rd floor of the hotel...fixed price, eat from a menu...the best dim sum we have ever had...

rates look high...have you tried some of the discount sites like:

www.huahin.20m.com or www.asiavoyage.24.com????
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 10:17 AM

Horizon club rooms are selected floors at the Shangri La hotels that offer complentary cocktails for a couple of hours a day, a lounge, discounted laundry. free breakfasts, fancier toiletries (although at Shangri La I suspect they are the same toiletries without the "Aigner" logo you sometimes get in their club rooms) etc.

I would personally recommend the Krungthep wing at the Shangri La over the Horizon Club rooms Larger with a balcony). Also, you can get free breakfasts at any shangri la hotel by joining their free loyalty club. The hotels often have happy hours elsewhere in the hotel during the time they are offering free drinks in a club lounge. Shangri La hotels often let you upgrade your room on check in for very modest fees. Last year I purchased a room for the equivalent of £50 at their KL hotel. On check in I upgraded to a horizon club suite for an additional £50 a night. That meant I was getting the room for £100 a night, about £400 less than the rack rate for the club suite.

Old Oct 6th, 2004, 10:20 AM

upgrade at the bkk sh-la is now $75
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 05:06 PM
CFW

From the various web sites it sounds like rooms in the Krungthep wing have balconies overlooking the city, not the river. Is that accurate?
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 07:43 PM

cfw---i think there are balconies on many of the rooms....many of them overlook the river and bridge... they are small balconies....i don't think that you would really use the balcony except for a quick look now and again...heat and humidity make it uncomfortable....even at nite....i find the K wing out of the main stream of the hotel...it does have its own lobby but not much happens there and the really beautiful lobby is in the other wing...not sure about breakfast either...you may have to go to the other wing...fyi...they are converting 3 or 4 floors in the K wing to serviced apartments so there may be some noise from this...?? the pool was closed in june, but may now be open again in the K wing...i do think it is definately considered the nicer of the two, but there is nothing wrong with the sh-la wing...