Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Cost of full breakfast at Bangkok Shangri-La?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2004, 08:05 PM
cwn
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On one of the discount hotel finders mentioned on the board recently, I found the Shangri-La for mid Nov for $172 including tax for high level delux king. The Hotel has a "holiday special" with one dinner for two and full breakfast for two for $195 plus tax etc a night for two or more nights. We will be there several days. How much does it cost to walk in and get a full breakfast? $20 plus dollars a day sounds like alot for breafast by US standards. What is the difference in a high level room? Is this important? Our choice hotel is the Shangri-la or the Oriental, but the Oriental is coming back even higher.
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 08:19 PM

i do not know the exact amount but i can tell you that their breakfast is simply fabulous and probably among the biggest layouts in bkk....at $20 it is a bargain...
if you join their golden circle club (free) you are entitled to free breakfasts and late check-outs among other things...

price looks high to me but depends on the type of room...
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 08:21 PM

have you thought about priceline?? have you checked www.huahin.20m.com??? click on other locations and then bangkok...
Old Oct 5th, 2004, 09:19 PM
cwn
Original Poster

Thanks. I looked at priceline, didn't bid, but the buy it now price was the same as hotel's price but with no breakfast or dinner. Not sure I want to bid, don't want to get a room in a bad/noisy location. I think it was Asiahotels that had the $173 including fees/taxes but no breakfast. I have a res. at the $195 plus fees with breakfast and one dinner. I noticed a comment recently that made me look into a better deal than I have. I can always cancel and rebook. I just checked the huahin link you memtioned, couldn't find Shangri-La and Oriental higher for the time we will be there.
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 03:34 AM
CFW

The Shangri-la no longer has late check-outs just for signing up for the Golden Circle. There are different Golden Circle levels depending on the number of stays you have had in their hotels. In order to get late check-outs & some of the other benefits you have to be at a higher level with more stays than just the initial sign up. The hotel web site is currently promoting a "value rate" that is more expensive but includes breakfast, 6 p.m. check-out, free laundry, airport transport, and there is a discount if you are a golden circle member. I think it is a good deal if the 6 p.m. check out is important to you, which it is for us since we have a very late night flight back to the U.S. on day of check-out.
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 04:28 AM

VAT is 7% and most hotels luxury hotels also have a mandatory ?service fee? of another 10% or so, so add that to your calculation when comparing prices. It would be difficult to get breakfast at any of the 5 star hotels in Bangkok for $20 per person or less, unless you maybe just have coffee and toast.

Most hotels will now match any bona-fide internet offer, so I would try to get a booking directly with the hotel for the same rate. I always feel more comfortable with a direct booking than an internet one. If they can?t match the rate, they may be willing to offer other things.
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 10:19 AM

Free Golden Club membership offers free continental breakfast. If you want a full cooked breakfast you just pay the difference usually a $ or 2
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 10:23 AM

unless something has changed since june the sh-la gives you a full buffet breakfast in bkk for membership in the golden circle...
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 10:29 AM

Technically, I believe it is continental only - but at places like KL and Bangkok the difference is so small I have had the full breakfast wthout being charged the difference.

However, in Singapore and at both Shangri La hotels in Hong Kong on checking in it was made clear that we would have to pay the difference between continental and full breakfasts - but this is only a couple of dollars.
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 11:44 AM
cwn
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses. I can get an Ex. river view room through asia.com for $172inc tax /no breakfast. Does breakfast(more than rolls and juice) really cost $40plus dollars for two?? I had the opinion that things - food anyway- were cheaper in Bangkok. That was the reasoning behind getting a better hotel. We will stay at the Shangri-la, just trying to figure the most cost effective way or at least compare apples to apples on the price quotes.
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 01:37 PM

As previously stated, by going to the shangri La web site and registering with their Golden Circle club breakfast will cost you nothing.
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 07:50 PM
cwn
Original Poster

OK, I'm a little slow sometimes. Just signed up for the Golden Circle membership. It does include the free cont. breakfast, but we do want a full hot breakfast-just something we really enjoy when on vacation! I also contacted the hotel about our reservation. I'll see if they will do anything. Thanks. Must be some breakfast for $20+pp!!
Old Oct 6th, 2004, 07:55 PM

the breakfast is a full breakfast:

eggs, meats, fruit, pancakes, pastries...cereals, japanese items (soups)...everything you could want...hot and cold...better than the peninsula, marriott and others we have tried...relax about it...it is included...i think in other hotels they offer continental but in bkk it is the full breakfast...