Search

Safe Water?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2006, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safe Water?

Hey there,
Is the water safe to drink in Chiang Mai? What about ice in bars etc?
Thanks for the info.
What about down in Phi Phi...staying at Holliday Inn
Susie
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 04:45 PM

I think this question has been asked several times. Hotels everywhere in Thailand will normally provide you with two bottles of complementary drinking water in your room. All restaurants - at least those with walls and a roof - have water filters.

Technically, the tap water is safe to drink in most big cities in Thailand. It's just so full of chlorine that you wouldn't want to drink it.
Old Nov 24th, 2006, 09:49 AM

Water is very cheap in Asia. I would not drink anything but bottled water. Ice? Could be made from a puddle. I wouldn't have any.

Note. Apart from complimentary water, don't touch any water in hotel fridges. I've seen a 5 baht bottle for 70 baht, when you can buy a few gallons for 25 baht.
Old Nov 29th, 2006, 08:53 PM

I would be careful about drinking the complimentary water provided by the hotels in Thailand and Cambodia, usually 2 large plastic bottles. I just returned from Thailand and noticed a difference with the complimentary water and I think it made me slightly sick. The smaller bottles of water you buy are so cheap, it's worth it to play it safer. Most just say UV purified. You are not going to find US brands of bottled water. Maybe use the complimentary stuff to brush your teeth. Make sure when you buy water that the bottles are sealed. Some will try to sell you ones they have been refilled with tap water.
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 01:35 AM

I would be very surprised if any hotel refilled bottles with tap water !
Purified water is readily available everywhere. Ice is also produced from Purified water.
If you are staying in a hotel a while buy the B 35 ( USD 99 cents ) 5 liter bottles, but a couple of the 500c bottles ( about B 9 each ) which have the drink-seal top ( type where you can open and close ), use those and then refill from your 5 liter bottle.

We only pay B 10 for 20 liters but that bottle ( tank!) is too heavy to carry more than a few steps ( B 100 deposit on the tank ) but the 5 litre ones are easy.
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 06:45 AM

obersee, I have never had a problem with the drinking water provided by hotels in Thailand. It is true that different brands taste different. The bottles of water provided by your hotel should be sealed.
Old Nov 30th, 2006, 01:09 PM

My warning about bottled water refilled with tap water is in reference to purchasing bottled water from street vendors, not hotels! I was super careful in Thailand with the water and food and still had a bit of common traveler problems. Do get a typhoid vaccination, though this will not completely prevent you from getting typhoid.