Water purification bottle

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2018, 02:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I travel to Mexico frequently, and Asia occasionally. I am thinking about purchasing a water bottle that has a purification filtration system in it. The one made by Lifestraw won’t work because you have to still suck the water out through their straw and that won’t work for things like brushing teeth and boiling water for tea. I need something that I can filter and then pour into another container.

Grayl ultralight Is available on Amazon for $60. I am wondering if anybody has any experience with this bottle, or if anyone has any different ideas for me.

Kind regards,
Ginger
Old Feb 10th, 2018, 12:48 PM

REI has a ton of these sort of products. Check the Amazon reviews, especially the most negative. If all anyone is griping about is how long delivery took but all the product reviews are good, then you're onto something.
Old Feb 13th, 2018, 02:02 AM

I have lived in Southeast Asia off and on and visited frequently since the seventies. You can buy one of these filtration units if you want but for me, and the places I still go to, I find bottled water to be cheap and easy to get. I do stay in cheap hotels and not live out in the woods drawing my water from a stream. In particular (for me) Singapore, Philippines, Malaysia and Thailand bottled water is easy to find and cheap. I don't recall any problem finding cheap water in Myanmar, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia and Indonesia either.

When I did use apartments for longer stays I had a filter thingy stuck on my faucet to filter any sediment suspended in the water. If someone likes to sample food from street vendors I suspect that tap water is used for cooking. Same for cheap restaurants. In hotels have used tap water for hot coffee in a pinch when I ran out of bottled water. For me boiling hot water kills bacteria and organisms. But some tap water could have minute trace amounts of heavy metals that boiling won't do anything about. Unless the water coming out of a tap looked dirty I would brush my teeth with it when out of bottled water.

In the hotels I have used plastic bottles were collected and recycled same as back in my home town in the US.

For my 2 cents worth, if someone wants to invest in a filter or not might depend on where you visit and how long you will be out of the country.

Good luck.
Old Feb 13th, 2018, 05:24 AM

Cheap bottled water is available in most countries these day. We travel with our own water bottles and fill these up from 5-10 litre bottles purchased in supermarkets, 7-11s. Just trying to reduce our impact on the environment by not adding to the trillions of plastic bottles choking the planet!

We lived in in west Africa for a time and had to boil the water for 20 mins and then filter using a ceramic filterbeofe it was considered safe.. I am not that confident that one of the bottles you describe would be much use on anthying other than reasonably clean tap water.
Old Feb 15th, 2018, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

I ended up buying a Sayer mini filtration on a recommendation from Thorntree. It cost $20, weighs about 2 oz and has a filter good for 100,000 gallons. Removes 99.999999% of what I need it to. I will be using this water for teeth brushing and boiling tea water only, not drinking ordinarily.

Not only do I want the convenience of not lugging water, but the reduction in plastic is a huge added bonus.

Thanks,

Gin