Reload this Page >

Ryokans in Kyoto

Search

Ryokans in Kyoto

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 02:29 PM
Jo Lewis

Ryokans in Kyoto

Thanks to everyones help, I have now decided on and am reserving a room at the Katsutero Annex in Tokyo. However, I am having trouble finding a ryokan in Kyoto. I am looking for similar - Around 10,000 yen for the room per night, private bath and no curfew (or front door key). Can anyone recommend one? I have a few possibles, but few seem to have private baths, and they all seem to have curfews. I liked the look of the Gion Fukuzumi but it seems to be booked up at that time. The yamazaki needs a credit card deposit, and i don't have a credit card!! argghh.<BR>Any suggestions appreciated.<BR><BR>luv Jo

Old Jul 3rd, 2002, 12:49 PM
Jo Lewis

BTW, when I say 10,000 yen a night, i mean for 2 people. I would pay a little more for the right place though

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 02:10 PM
Leslie

Jo - like you, I've had a hard time finding reasonably priced ryokans in Kyoto that have private baths. This one looks promising but they say they are booked up for my dates in April '03:<BR> http://www.kohro.com/english/englishp.htm<BR><BR>Also, Frommers highly recommends Ryokan Matsubaya. I think these can be booked through either the Welcome Inn Group or the Japanese Inn Group or through www.japaneseguesthouses.com. Links to the first two can be found under Accomodations on the Japanest Tourist website: www.jnto.go.jp.<BR><BR>I'm not a Japan expert. Just planning my first trip. Good luck.

Old Jul 4th, 2002, 08:30 PM
Florence

Bonjour Jo and Leslie,<BR><BR>Check the otel/ryokan page of Kyoto Visitor's guide ( http://www.kyotoguide.com/index/index.html )<BR><BR>They list a few reasonnably priced ryokans with bath. Unfortunately, it seems that curfew is the rule but there are some exceptions like the Kinsuitan ...<BR><BR><BR>

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 11:25 AM
foos

I, too, am planning a first trip to Japan and will be staying in Kyoto for a few nights. We're looking at a very reasonably priced ryokan (8400 yen w/no meals) called the Ryokan Hiraiwa. The bath is common, but available for private use. Not sure how picky you are. Not sure either about their curfew policy. The website is http://www2.odn.ne.jp/hiraiwa/<BR>If anyone has stayed there, let us know what you think.<BR>If you decide on a place that you want to reserve, could you send a check? I think you can have a check cut in yen from some banks. I guess you'd really want to be sure you were going to stay there.

Old Jul 5th, 2002, 11:49 AM
Florence

Bonjour Foos,<BR><BR>I've been staying at the Hiraiwa almost everytime I went to Kyoto since 1983. It is clean, friendly, conveniently located in a quiet and traditional area, close to the station, along several bus routes leading to the city center. Their annex is good too.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 02:05 PM
Jo Lewis

Hiya<BR><BR>OK so I tried the Kohro but they are booked for one of the days I want. I contacted the Yamazaki, and they said you don't need to give a deposit, so I am going to book with them if they have vacancies. What I'd like to know is : Has anyone stayed there or knows anyone who has? It's a bit out of the way, but it looks really peaceful. Anyone else's experiences of this Ryokan would be appreciated.<BR><BR>Jo Lewis