Japan itinerary shrinks with dwindling dollar

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Concerns about the economy may force us to shrink our proposed November trip to Japan from 3 weeks to 2. We are currently thinking of 5 nights in Tokyo, 2 in Hakone, 6 in Kyoto, 1 in Koya-san, then a final night in Kyoto. Does this sound too scrunched? We are considering the Park Hotel or the Sunlite Hotel in Shinjuku for Tokyo, would love suggestions for Kyoto. We are also thinking of economizing by coming the two weeks that include Thanksgiving week in US and are wondering if we can reasonably hope for a fair number of sunny days.

We would be grateful for any thoughts or suggestions. Plan C is Mexico, but it's been almost 10 years since we began talkinf of going to Japan.
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 11:27 AM
kja

Hi, cmstraf -

I'm sorry that you've had to change your plans. I think your revised plan should work out well.

A few years ago, I stayed at the Hotel Alpha Kyoto - great location and more affordable than many options. But some of the reviews on tripadvisor are rather negative.

Hope that helps!
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 01:02 PM

I personally think seven nights in Kyoto may be too many.

And while in Tokyo do try to splurge and take at least one daytrip out.

The GranVia hotel at the RR station in Kyoto is well-located and perfect IMO if you feel you can afford it.
Old Mar 17th, 2008, 02:22 PM

I think it would be unfortunate if you had to change your plans when you have been thinking about coming to Japan for ten years!

Your plane fare will be the same if you stay an extra week. Of course, your other expenses will be higher obviously. However you can possibly think about staying in less expensive business hotels such as the Toyoko Inn which has branches in numerous places - three in Kyoto.

If you do your revised plan, you can take day trips to Hiroshima and Himeji as well as other places from Kyoto.

Old Mar 18th, 2008, 12:47 AM

We have stayed in two "cheaper hotels" in Kyoto - one time at Palace side Hotel http://www.palacesidehotel.co.jp/
This is a basic clean hotel with very helpful staff. The second time at the Holiday Inn Kyoto - many people will say this is not in a good location, but the price was good and there is a shuttle bus as well as nearby public buses. We had no problem to get around - in any case the Kyoto sites are all around the city. If you are thinking of cost then its worth looking at these hotels - both are clean and very acceptable.
I feel less sure about your two nights in Hakone - I'm not sure you need that much time there. For cheap accomodation there look at Senkei Plaza.Even though this is the cheaper Senkei option you can still use their onsen.