Ryokan with Western Beds in Miyajima

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone recommend a Ryokan with Western Beds, in a Japanese style room in Miyajima for no more than $400 for two people including meals, tax, etc. I know it won't be the true Japanese experience not sleeping on a futon, but my husband and I are both poor sleepers, and think we won't be able to sleep well on a futon. Additionally, we are spending a night in a temple in Mount Koya, so that will be our one night on a futon.

Any suggestions, Thanks, Inor
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 04:27 PM

I don't know if any ryokan would want to put a western style bed into a Japanese style room and ruin their tatami mats.....

These ryokan have western style rooms

http://japaneseguesthouses.com/db/mi...tsukushima.htm

http://japaneseguesthouses.com/db/mi.../kinsuikan.htm

The futons at Mt Koya may be spartan but I assure you that I have slept very comfortably on Iwaso Ryokan's http://japaneseguesthouses.com/db/miyajima/iwaso.htm thick and fluffy futon beds. Generally the more luxurious the ryokan, the more luxurious and comfortable are the futons.

Aloha!
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 04:31 PM

BTW, The western style double beds that the ryokans will have in the western style rooms are not anything special, no queens or king sizes to be sure.
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 05:23 PM

I don't think I've ever seen a Japanese style room with a western bed. Beside the bed l;egs damaging the tatami, it would be somewhat like hanging a moose head on the wall of a sleek modern in. Just two completely different styles.

If you can't get up off the floor, that might be a good reason to sleep in a western room, but for comfort IN the bed, I'd go for a good futon on fragrant tatami any day!

Let us know if you can find one.
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 04:48 AM

The Kinsuikan (sp?) has them I think but it is not a traditional ryokan. The ryokan-hotels have them - I think I remember having a choice. The experience was so so.

A traditional ryokan might be worth one night's lost sleep! Perahps the hot springs and amazing food will make you so sleepy you won't notice the bed!
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 04:50 AM

Maybe you want to try this one: Miyajima Grand Hotel Arimoto? I have not stayed there but it seems like what you are looking for. They do serve kaiseki meals

http://www.japanican.com/hotels/shis...n=2&rn=1&rs=JW
Old Jun 26th, 2010, 08:13 PM

Good research username... The Japanese /western rooms look like they would fit the OP's requirements.

I'd still take a futon over those twin beds though!!bed
Old Jun 27th, 2010, 12:15 AM

Before going to Japan we were the same, we didn't want to sleep on futons because we thought that because we were'nt used to them we wouldnt sleep, how wrong we were!!! we only slept on them twice in a ryoken and a temple in Koyasan but they were our best nights sleep and wished we had had more nights sleeping on a futon.
Old Jun 27th, 2010, 12:25 AM

I am a terrible sleeper and was concerned about sleeping on a futon and over a few weeks in Japan grew to love them. Not all futons are the same and certainly some are more comfortable than others. We stayed at the Eko in in Koyasan and found it very comfortable. The most comfortable of all was in the Sumiyoshi Ryokan in Takayama where the old lady running the place insisted on providing us with a two futons (one on top of the other) tp seel on one night - the best nights sleep I have had in many years!
Old Jun 27th, 2010, 06:18 AM

And western-style beds in Japan tend towards the hard as a rock end of the spectrum. Futons much more comfortable in my experience.

If you've got mobility issue, note that meal service in a ryokan may be even more problematic, depending on the extent to which you'll be expected to sit on the floor. It can get very uncomfortable very quickly.
Old Jun 27th, 2010, 08:15 AM

If you have a problem with sitting on the ground some ryokans will have a low chair(think beach chair style)that slides in harmony on the tatami mat. I always request one although some of the lower end places will not have them. It is a handicapped issue that Japan is slowly dealing with.

I have seen more and more elevators that go across tracks in the small town train stations I frequent being built and sidewalks being adjusted for wheelchairs, etc.in the last few years. So they are aware of the problems and making an effort to conform to standards.

Aloha!
Old Jun 27th, 2010, 02:49 PM

Wfat's the Japanese term fo
Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your replies. I am convinced that we should sleep on futons. So now my question is: can anyone recommend a Ryokan on Miyajima for no more than 38,000 yen/night for 2 (around $400/night. The yen has gone up). I think Iwaso is more than that.

Thanks, Roni
Old Jul 2nd, 2010, 04:53 PM

Momiso-jo? http://www.japaneseguesthouses.com/d...a/momijiso.htm

Auberge Watanabe
http://www.auberge-watanabe.com/english/index.html
Old Jul 3rd, 2010, 11:39 AM

We stayed in a place in Miyajima with very comfy western-style beds and I'm fairly sure it was a ryokan. I can't remember the name but you walked through the tunnel and it was just the other side. I'll try and find the details.