Room question

Apr 17th, 2002, 11:30 AM
L

Room question

What is the difference between twin room and double room?
What type is better for a couple with a child?
Thank you

Apr 17th, 2002, 11:34 AM
Rex

A twin room probably has two twin beds. A double room could have almost any conceivable combination of one or two beds - - except it will never have just one twin bed.

Yyou simply have to ask, and you should simply ask "what bed can you provide for our child, of "x" years?"

Best wishes,

Rex

Apr 17th, 2002, 11:36 AM
Steve

Usually,in Europe, twin means two small beds that are separate, double means 2 small beds pushed together to make one decent-sized bed.

Apr 17th, 2002, 12:05 PM
Shannon

It is better to get a room with a double than a twin. The posters above are all correct -- a twin consists of 2 twin beds; a double ordinarily means 1 double-sized bed, but can mean 2 singles pushed together or 1 queen. It some instances, you might even find 2 double-sized beds. I've found the rooms classified as doubles are generally (but not always) larger, so as to accommodate a cot for the child.

You DO need to ask though, and mention you need a bed for the child.

Apr 17th, 2002, 12:13 PM
elaine

My experience has been different from Shannon's, I have found that twin rooms can be larger, on average, than doubles to allow a little extra room between the beds. Of course,we're talking of generalities, not specifics. As others have suggested,just ask for what you want: for example, "a room to accommodate three of us, my husband,myself and our child." Each hotel will tell you what they have.
Some might offer one double bed (bed for two) plus a daybed or twin bed that is already part of the room. Others might have a room with one double bed and offer to bring in a cot or twin bed for the child. Just note that a room not usually equipped for an extra bed might end up being crowded, unless it is exceptionally large to begin with.

Apr 20th, 2002, 05:16 AM