COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Japanese Hotel Rooms - bed sizes

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 12:36 AM
Leslie

Japanese Hotel Rooms - bed sizes

In looking at MANY website photos of "twin bedded" hotel rooms for Western-style hotels in Japan...it appears that these "twin" beds are, in fact, what we would call a "double" bed in the US. Yet, the websites insist maximum occupancy is 2 persons, one per bed. We are a family of four, so I'm working on other options... But, curious to know from experienced Japan travelers, are my eyes deceiving me?

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 11:08 AM
lcuy

Leslie- Those twin beds are really twin beds. When our daughters were little (5 &7) we figured we could get one room and share-one adult/one child per bed. Didn't work, so the kids slept on the floor. Only problem was that most western rooms were so small, the kids were half under the beds, and no one could go to the bathroom at night. We have since stuck to Japanese style rooms, where 4 people fit fine in their own beds, or we get 2 rooms.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 05:13 PM
Davis

I would suggest staying at a ryokan for both the experience and convenience. Yes, most hotel rooms have twin beds (and usually the less expensive ones), but some Western hotel chains (like Hyatt and Hilton) have rooms with double beds. If you are staying in Tokyo, I'd recommend the Century Hyatt. You can get a large room on the concierge level which includes breakfast (a good deal for the separate cost of breakfast at the hotel). If you stay at a ryokan, although the cost per person is high, you might end up paying the same for 2 hotel rooms. At most ryokan, 4 people can sleep in one room and usually at least one meal is included.

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 08:21 PM
Leslie

Thanks for the feedback. We are trying to go with ryokans as much as possible, but like lcuy, finding they aren't always cheaper than two twin rooms.

If you want to see what I mean, here's a typical link to a photo of a "twin room" with two single beds that LOOK to me like two double beds.

http://www.leonardo.com/EBrochure/Te...ponentId=53444

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 11:38 PM
lcuy

Leslie- you're right, those look like double beds to me as well. The international hotels, vs the "business" hotels may be more generous. The fact that there is a sitting area is a good sign too. You could shove the chairs in a corner and use the bedspreads to make floor beds for your kids if the beds have been enhanced for the photos!