RHK's 2010 Thailand and Vietnam trip

Old Oct 25th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RHK's 2010 Thailand and Vietnam trip

We are off again on a Fall SEA trip. The trip takes us from Boston to Seattle (overnight--Fairfield at the airport--this stop was my choice), and the next day to Bangkok with a plane change in Narita, Japan. After a few adjustment days in bkk, we head to Vietnam for 2 weeks. After that we return to bkk for about 8-9 days, where we will be joined by two newbies for 14 days. After the time in bkk, we head to Khoa Lak for 5 days and then back to bkk for our final 4 days. About 5 weeks all told.

This is a Delta ticket (booked thru Northwest before its demise), using 60,000 FF miles each. We start out on Alaska Air to Seattle, and then it’s Delta, except for the last leg home, again on Alaska.

The trip has been about 1 year in the planning. I planned it myself, except for some help in Vietnam from Tonkin Travel in Hanoi. They were excellent to deal with btw. We will see, if the proof is in the pudding..

We are excited this trip to finally be trying some serviced apartments in bkk. We look forward to that. But the riverside Marriott will entertain us for a few days at the beginning, and we end the trip with two nights at, of all places, the ROS.

During the trip we will have a few GTG’s with fellow fodorites. This starts Sunday when we will be meeting Hanuman for brunch at Rang Mahal at the Rembrandt Hotel. We look forward to these GTG's. Sadly, Andy and Beth who had hoped to join us for part of the trip now find that they will not join us. The night before we come home we will be having dinner with Smeagol and Muffin.

We will be using Tong again, and a couple of guides in VN. In keeping with the economy, Karen is limited to 3 dozen new pairs of shoes this trip. Who said gold, silver shines so much more brightly…

So with this introduction, we are off to SEA on Wednesday, Oct 27. For any newbies, by way of introduction we are a married couple, both aged 66, and retired who travel as much as the budget and time will allow. This trip will complete a busy travel year. There are several things brewing for next year, including Florida in January; Spain, Morocco and Italy for March/April; UAE, Nepal and India for the Fall... Please send $$ so that we can squeeze something else in during the summer.

I plan to report from the road, as we will be having wi-fi in almost every location. I will try to include details that may interest others, but please ask if there is something that would assist you with your planning...
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 07:54 PM

Have a safe and pleasant flight over Bob. Look forward to seeing you guys again this weekend.
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Original Poster

Most of our Thailand accomodations will be at Marriott properties. We expect to take full advantage of our Gold status which dictates room upgrades and club privledges at every stop. By the end of the year I should be at the Platinum level. This will last for all of 2011. All the reservations were made at the Marriott site.

In Vietnam I instructed Tonkin that we wished to stay in locally owned 3* hotels in the center city. They made several suggestions for each city and we chose from their listings, and Karen suggested a place or two as well from her research on various sites, including TA. We are not huge fans of TA, as we find the info provided often not wholly independent or impartial. It is however one source, and often has fairly complete lists of frequently used hotels. You can then do more research on your own. Most of the hotels are between $75-100 per night, including tax/service and breakfast for 2.

For eating, one of our main activities, we hope to visit both new and often visited establishments from past trips. We expect to eat a variety of cuisines, both eastern and western.
Chicken cashew being a favorite along with fried morning glory... yellow curries, pad si woo and so on.... But there will be new items to try this time as well, especially during the two weeks in vietnam. Fodorites have published the names and descriptions of enough vn eating establishment to surfice for the rest of the year. Karen is in charge of making choices there.

In SEA, we will use Air Asia and Vietnam Air--booked both thru Air France, Tonkin and directly on line-- to get around.

This trip i hope to use the skytrain more than in the recent past, but i am sure taxis will be my fall back as i am lazy and like to arrive cool and dry at indoor places we are visiting. Nothing worse than arriving at a nice dinner restaurant, or any restaurant dripping wet and uncomfortable...

We have been spoiled the last few trips with arriving in bkk at a decent hour and leaving at a decent hour, but this trip we are back to arriving at 11:45PM and departing at the un-godly hour of 5:40AM.... This means little sleep on both our first and last nights.... Singapore Air, Thai Air and Korean Air really spoiled us. We want to try Finn Air in the future and maybe one of the middle east airlines or Eva thru Heathrow. You become a slave to FF programs however.
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Original Poster

pook---new camera and slippers all packed
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 09:30 PM

Bon voyage!

I am eager to follow along.

We would like to be more creative in our hotel selections in Vietnam next time so I await your comments on the 3* hotels.

Just yesterday my husband was recalling how much he enjoyed our day out at the fishing village guided by Jerry from Tong's team. We will be curious to hear what imaginative outings you take with Tong.

Enjoy it all and do report in.
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 09:38 PM

Have a great trip Bob. Looking forward to reading all about it.
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 10:02 PM

Bon Voyage Bob - Looking forward to seeing you both in Bangkok soon.

If you get chance to go to La Badiane in Hanoi do, the food is lovely. Good luck with those crazy VN roads!!!
Old Oct 25th, 2010, 10:03 PM

PS you REALLY should consider EVA, that way you could come and see us too!
Old Oct 26th, 2010, 04:24 AM

I wish that you people would travel once in a while.

In accordance with your wishes, I will make a substantial cash donation to your summer travel fund. Please send me your bank account info by return mail, and I will of course deposit the funds (which were bequeathed to me by my late uncle, the deposed King Sammy of Chelsea) as soon as the info is received.
Old Oct 26th, 2010, 04:38 AM

Good massachusetts is rid of Bob for 5 weeks. Hopefully, the Democrats will win again and he can suffer on his return. While he hasn't technically left yet, timely report, no penalty.
Old Oct 26th, 2010, 05:39 AM

I'm looking forward to following along on your journey. Have a fabulous trip.
Old Oct 26th, 2010, 05:51 AM

Have a great trip.
Old Oct 26th, 2010, 05:55 AM

Bob, Karen,

Have a great time. Sounds like a busy (but relaxing) time. I am sure you will like being in serviced apartments rather than hotel rooms for your lengthy stays.

Please give BKK (and Pook and Maeng) my best. I'm on my way back there again on December 16th for almost 3 weeks.

Have a safe flight. Good thing you aren't going via ORD as I think the severe wind and weather they are predicting for today and tomorrow may result in flight delays/cancellations. I'm in TPA for a few days (actually I'm on the beach near St Pete) and hope to fly back to ORD tomorrow afternoon. (I can cope, should I HAVE to remain in TPA another day)

Carol
Old Oct 26th, 2010, 06:12 AM

Have a great trip. Don't know if you have used Alaska before, but as you know, we used them EWR-SEA and then on to Kauai - same aircraft as BOS-SEA. I think you'll enjoy the flight.

Looking forward to your reports from the road.
Old Oct 26th, 2010, 06:47 AM

Gpanda, I believe he cast an absentee ballot, so it's early yet for jubilation.

Rizz, I count myself most fortunate to have <s>assailed</s> visited with Bob & Karen during a moment of weakness (theirs, that is) when I was last in Boston. As usual, they were an outstanding host and hostess.

B&K, I'm very glad you checked in and I'm excited to read more about your trip once it's underway. Please let Tong know that I regularly wear the TravelingwithTong tee shirt I'd received a few years ago at the Fodors Boston GTG. Safe travels, you two!

BC
Old Oct 26th, 2010, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

craig, while you were up front, we will be in the back....in checking my res the other day i discovered that for some reason they cancelled karen's seat assignments.....so for tomorrow she has no seat assigned, we have to go to the airport early.... coming home i am in 12 and she is in 28...
they were unwilling to do anything to make changes and in fact were quite unfriendly, read rude, during the whole conversation... i made those seat reservations in January.
it pi--ed me off quite honestly, so i start the trip with a bad attitude....
Old Oct 26th, 2010, 06:54 AM

Have a great trip you two, I know you will.

Karen, Linda says to buy shoes, shoes and more shoes in VN, Bobby will be there to fetch and carry,lol.

Bob, my father passed and left you his entire estate but was mysteriously awaken by someone so no dough.......this will only make sense to rhkkmk

Aloha Oe!
Old Oct 26th, 2010, 08:05 AM

Have a safe and fabulous trip! (I can't believe ours is coming up in only 4 months!!)
Old Oct 26th, 2010, 08:38 AM
cw

Karen and Bob, have a wonderful trip. I look forward to following along through your reports.
Old Oct 26th, 2010, 09:32 AM

Have a great trip, look forward to reading about as it unfolds. We'll be in Vietnam in February, so all your news will be of great interest to us.

By the way, who is the revered Tong? Does he work with Tonkin Travel - or on his own. We'll be in Hanoi, Hue, Hoi An, boat on the bay, and probably Sapa. Where does Tong work out of - go?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -