Revised Fodor's Forums guidelines

Jun 7th, 2010, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Revised Fodor's Forums guidelines

Hello everyone,

Starting today, Fodor’s Forums are following updated guidelines. The revised guidelines clarify what behavior is and isn’t appropriate for the Forums and what actions will be taken by the moderators if members choose not follow the guidelines. They should help answer the question we receive the most: “why was my thread/comment pulled?”

You can review the revised guidelines here: http://www.fodors.com/faq/joining.cfm#join2

As always, we ask for your help in enforcing these guidelines. If you see any activity that is not in line with the new guidelines, please alert the moderators by using the gray triangle button or sending us an e-mail at [email protected].

We feel that these guidelines will lay the groundwork for an even stronger online travel community. If you have any questions or concerns with these guidelines, please contact me at the e-mail address above.

Best,
Amy_D
Jun 7th, 2010, 05:39 PM

amy--- i see no reference to trip reports and how they interface with the so called monopoly??

please note that the asia board is similar to the lounge as there are a wide group of people who know each other electronically as well as personally based on introductions thru fodors.com..... we are fiercely loyal to one another!

keep up the good work, but cut us some slack as well...
Jun 7th, 2010, 05:56 PM

Most of the "Asia" board crowd doesn't post in the Lounge. We sort of have our own little Lounge right here.
Jun 7th, 2010, 06:17 PM

Bob, I don't see how someone could monopolize one's own trip report. I expect there would need to be a complaint for the editors to look at the posts in question.
Jun 7th, 2010, 06:51 PM

> Most of the "Asia" board crowd doesn't post in the Lounge. We sort of have our own little Lounge right here.

This view, which leads to a widespread flaunting of the guidelines, is presumably precisely what this revision is supposed to suggest. As has been pointed out before, most of us are here to discuss travel (as the guidelines require), not to wade through the endless inter-personal and non-travel-related chit-chat of a tiny self-interested ('firecely loyal') minority which is of precious little interest to everyone else, and sometimes actively works to keep those with genuine travel queries at bay.

The moderators have previously said they would enforce the guidelines and transfer such chit-chat to the lounge. Let's hope they mean it this time.
Jun 7th, 2010, 08:45 PM

Amy,

Thanks for the new guidelines. Looks pretty straightforward to me. I know that the previous poster Peter NH is a fodors editor so I am wondering if the views that he is espousing are also part of the Fodor's official website views and regulations? Thank you in advance for your answer.

Aloha!
Jun 7th, 2010, 08:50 PM

It would be regarded as a courtesy to other users to read and abide by the guidelines:

From http://www.fodors.com/faq/joining.cfm#join2

3. Talk travel

To provide maximum benefit for travelers, we ask that you stick to the topic of travel when posting in all our forums. The only exception to this rule is the community-building Fodorite Lounge, a unique forum on Fodors.com. In the Lounge, members who have gotten to know one another while sharing travel advice are encouraged to share their thoughts on other topics in a respectful manner.
Jun 7th, 2010, 09:13 PM

Big Brother?

Do we get a buzzer or electrical shock that notifies us when we're talking about too much personal stuff? Do only responses that border on personal/non-travel-related that are included in, say, my most recent trip report get moved over to the Lounge in a new non-related thread? (Yes, of course, that supposes that I actually finished my trip report, but I digress...)

And to those who think the fiercely loyal majority clutter the airwaves on this board, I pose this question: if flaunting the guidelines is "widespread", how is that those who partake in this non-travel-related chit-chat only form "the minority"? I'm confused. Two plus two equals four, right?
Jun 7th, 2010, 09:21 PM

PeterN_H, with the greatest respect, is the publication of your website in your profile not advertising?

I believe one of the rules specifically outlaws insertion of links to poster related businesses & interests.
Jun 7th, 2010, 09:26 PM

Two plus two does equal four, but this is a case of multiplication, not addition. A small number of voices with a large number of off-topic posts per head. Unfortunately, Q.E.D.

But regardless of the number of off-topic postings, as well as those intended to do little more than drive others away, the guidelines state quite clearly that there should be none at all, regardless of what the 'fiercely loyal' (to each other, rather than to the guidelines or the overwhelming majority of other users) happen to think. Most who come here never post at all, of course, but are as entitled to expect Fodor's to provide the service it promises in its guidelines as those who do post solely on-topic, and those who read rather than post are, of course, just as important to Fodor's, although often treated as second citizens by the soi-disant in-crowd.
Jun 7th, 2010, 09:34 PM

This thread is getting confusing. Peter NH are you as an editor answering all the questions representing Fodor's or are they your personal views?
Jun 7th, 2010, 09:40 PM

Bokhara2: I do not advertise on this site, and indeed currently have no products or services for sale to private individuals, but only to publishers and periodicals. What I post here I give away for free. I do provide a link (as many others do) because I do not wish to post (as just about everyone else does) anonymously, but to take responsibility for what I say here (although it's true the link is wildly out of date, and indeed the books mentioned on the page now out of print and long superseded by others I won't name here). Still, it provides some context for the detail of the postings for anyone who can be bothered to hunt the information down. But there's no profit for me, I'm afraid.

But even supposing I were in breach, would that alter the facts of off-topic posting, or that contrary to the supposition of some, this isn't anyone's 'little lounge'?
Jun 7th, 2010, 09:45 PM

are we chit chatting now?
Jun 7th, 2010, 09:45 PM

No personal views are being expressed (except in support of Fodor's highly welcome enforcement of its own guidelines). On what may or may not be posted, the views are those of the owner of the site, and, once again, are clearly set out here:

http://www.fodors.com/faq/joining.cfm#join2
Jun 7th, 2010, 10:05 PM

I see. Right. I didn't realise I was required to discuss your proposition about what you regard as too much off-topic discussion in order to ask an unrelated question.

What you call off topic chit chat can very often elicit some very useful information about a location. Taken to an extreme, banning any discussion within a thread could mean that we all read the OP's question and answer the question, the whole question, and nothing but the question. Rather limiting and dull, in my opinion.

Which, incidentally, is what "(except in support of Fodor's (sic) highly welcome enforcement of its own guidelines)" is - your opinion. Of course, you're entitled to it, but in order to claim "highly welcome", surely a poll would need to be taken.
Jun 7th, 2010, 10:17 PM

> I see. Right. I didn't realise I was required to discuss your proposition about what you regard as too much off-topic discussion in order to ask an unrelated question.

No one has required, or indeed is able to require you to discuss anything at all. All are free, as far as I can see, to make on-topic observations.

> What you call off topic chit chat can very often elicit some very useful information about a location.

By its very definition, 'useful information about a location', is not off-topic.

Unfortunately neither opinions nor polls are here nor there: this isn't a democracy, but a privately-owned site which requires membership and expects members to agree to and adhere to its guidelines, clearly set out in the link given, dull or not. Fodor's promises travel discussions, and that's what readers expect it therefore to deliver. Those who find posting within guidelines 'limiting and dull' clearly need to discover Facebook or other social media, which have quite more open guidelines, or none at all. Moderating a site such as this is never easy, and it's a responsibility Fodor's frequently attempts to shirk, but sites without guidelines and moderator are bedlam, and effectively unusable for any sane discussion. The Internet doesn't need another one of these.
Jun 8th, 2010, 02:22 AM

The Internets are a great thing. If someone is unhappy about the manner in which an existing forum is being managed, he or she is free to start a forum of his own, set his/her own rules, and enforce them as desired. Such a forum could become wildly popular, or it could have a limited but engaged audience, or it could become the sound of a single, extremely loquacious voice.
Jun 8th, 2010, 02:41 AM

my method of dealing with posts i disagree with or do not like is to avoid them and their author's additional postings... i would prefer if the forum would just go forward with is method and let people write what they like...we have a number of know it alls and they are just easily avoided--
Jun 8th, 2010, 03:10 AM

I think Hawaiiantraveler posed a very good question: "This thread is getting confusing. Peter NH are you as an editor answering all the questions representing Fodor's or are they your personal views?"

Peter NH, are you speaking officially ON BEHALF OF FODORS or are you giving your private opinion of what Fodors ought to do?

I've participated in several forums over the years and although I agree that this one does lean toward clique-y and chummy, it's not a negative. People are generally cordial, supportive and inviting. If I were Fodors I'd not only let well enough alone, I'd count my blessings that I had such an intelligent, articulate, tolerant and amusing group of regulars.
Jun 8th, 2010, 03:49 AM

If someone has taken the time to wander over to Fodor's for some travel advice it seems to me that simply skipping over the chit chat is a pretty easy thing to do. Indeed, how often do regular posters have to read through a post asking questions that a minute looking at an Atlas could answer?

And, on that score, if the "fiercely loyal" posters stopped posting, chit chat and all, how quickly would the Board go from lively to "is anyone there?"

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO