Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Restaurants, Bars, Cultural Events at Yogyakarta?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2008, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
As you might know we are planing a trip to Central Java. We would like receive advice on good restaurants or Bars in Yogyakarta area. We are considering a Lunch at Amanjiwo after temple visit but no have references for another good places to experience. Finally, as part of our visit there we would like to experience Javanese dance and music, so pls. advice on venues/places to visit and how to book them.
Thanks as always for your help!
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 05:20 PM

It's been so long since I was last there, I'm sure that none of the places I ate in are still there. Oh, wait, there is a fried chicken restaurant Nyonya Suharti, that is famous. Indeed, as you wait for your plane, you'll see people in the airport carrying home the chicken to Jakarta! It's a local spot (no one spoke any English when we were there) and what makes the chicken so good is that it is soaked in coconut milk before frying. We went there with a driver we'd hired, and he suggested we order a whole chicken and share it. It sounded like a reasonable plan. The chicken arrived - whole - including the head and feet!

In terms of cultural events, you can see the Ramayana story "ballet" at the open-air theatre near Prambanan. It's wonderful! Your hotel or a driver you hire can get you tickets. Tickets were very inexpensive - the most expensive ones (which were just a few dollars) put us in the front row on padded benches.

Do visit the Kraton, sometimes there is dancing there as well.

There used to be a gallery in Jogja called Sapto Hoedojo that has marvelous things. Old hand carved puppets, funerary figures made of Chinese coins, etc. I don't know whether it is still there, but if it is, it's worth a visit.
Old Mar 9th, 2008, 11:34 PM

Unfortunately I don't think you'll find much in the way of good restaurants or bars in the Yogya area, except at the hotels and resorts. If you like Indonesian or Chinese food, you'll be all set but the ambience will be mostly local/basic.

There are regular performances at the Kraton, featuring classical Javanese dance with gamelon orchestra. They used to be in the mornings; I'd have your resort check the current schedule.

There are also frequent nighttime performances in the villages -- especially trance dancing and other mystical ceremonies. Again, your resort should be able to find these events for you. If not, then ask your driver/guide.

If you're there over a religious holiday or if a wedding or circumcism is going on, there will be entertainment as part of the celebration. Sometimes they have classical dance, folk dance or Dangdut which is a raucous middle-eastern inspired kind of singing and dancing.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 05:53 AM

Marmot reminds me that I guess I'd better add that the restaurant I recommended has all the ambiance of a KFC...
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kathie, Marmot for your advice, The Prambanan Ramayana is on our list and We will try Nyonya Sharti. We dont expect any fancy Restaurant at YOG, but would to experience local food (health/clean is our main concern here).

Kathie, do you remember where is the Sapto Hoedojo Gallery you mentioned?

Any other suggestion? How about craft shopping? I read that the Marlboro road in Downtown is the place to go, but any futher advice on places?

thks.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 11:39 AM

Sapto Hoedojo, Jl. Solo Km. 9 Meguwo phone: 62443 (I'm sure this has changed!)

We thought the best craft stores were on side streets off the Marlboro. A number of stores sell the puppets used in the Kraton. They are lovely, and have the Kraton crest on them.

We visited a batik place in Solo that makes the batik for the Kraton there. It was the highest quality batik I've seen anywhere. We hired a driver and asked him to find us the "best" batik, and after some research, that was his find.
Old Mar 10th, 2008, 06:49 PM

As already said, Yogya is known more for its many warungs (ask for a recommendation from your hotel staff) than for memorable dining.

Gadjah Wong on Jalan Gejayan is good (not great) but I'd definitely recommend saving your money for a splurge at Amanjiwo. Although as expensive as a fine restaurant in a major western city, the food is exquisite and the atmosphere wonderfully peaceful and scenic. Lunch at the poolside restaurant is accompanied by gamelan music. An unforgettable experience if you enjoy great food in a great setting.

I second the recommendation of authentic dances in the local villages near Borobudur as well as the Ramanyana at Prambanan.
Another way to book is through http://www.borobudurtourandtravel.co...ce%20dance.htm