Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Cheap eating in London. OK - ethnic. But...what do I order?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2005, 08:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep seeing posts about Indian/Thai/etc restaurants as being the way to eat a good, filling meal w/o breaking the bank. But -
NY/Chicago Chinese is as "ethnic" as spouse and I have ever gotten. I'm not sure I even know what flavor curry has....for instance.

So...what are some things we might encounter on a typical menu? What is not too exotic that we might order? Neither of us has a palate for 'really hot.' We both love shrimp, also beef and pork.

No time like the present (or...August) to start expanding our culinary horizons, but I sure would love a little education/help, Fodors-style!
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 09:34 PM

tuckerdc

I would ask the waitstaff for their suggestions, explain that you don't like 'hot' but if you can explain your version of hot then that would be useful.

My DH loves 'hot' but wouldn't eat a vindaloo in England, however we visited an Indian restaurant here in MA and he ordered one and really enjoyed it. He doesn't find food here spicy enough, but it's fine for me

As a side story we went a few years ago to an AA rated Indian restaurant in Hereford (UK) and I decided not to order the usual boring Butter chiken or chicken tikka marsala, so I ordered a Thalia with a nice variety of entrees, one of which was so tasty and melt in the mouth so we asked the waiter what it was - LAMB tikka marsala!
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 10:11 PM

I love all kinds of food: Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Mexican, Indian etc. I didn't come out of the womb eating these things. Sometimes you just have to take a leap of faith and try something. It's not your last meal. I ordered a shrimp dish that I had never had before last time I was at a Thai restaurant and I just didn't care for it at all..oh well. My sister-in-law ordered something with lamb at a Indian/Iranian restaurant when we were in London and I can't even describe how awful it looked. She is pretty adventerous but I noticed her kind of picking at it and there was a lot of it left when we were done. She said it was absolutely horrible and we still laugh about it. When I was in Venice..different sister-in-law, we had a menu in Itialian and none of us speak Italian. My SIL ordered something and had not a clue what it was. I stuck to something I could figure out..Feticcini..anyway my SIL's meal turned out to be calves liver and oh my word it was just fabulous. I ordered it in another restaurant that night at dinner. Yum!! So, as suggested, you could talk with the waiter, certainly find out how they spice if you don't like hot stuff..a lot of times they will prepare with different levels of heat, and just go for it. You may discover a whole knew culinary world. Having said that, I will not eat kidneys, will never eat another kidney as long as I live, my dad loved kidneys, I HAD to eat kidneys, and the whole experience damaged me mentally and physically forever. I have never recovered from those meals.
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 11:06 PM

tucker, wherever you live, there has GOT to be a Thai restaurant. Why not experiment a bit before you go to London?

Safe bet: Pad Thai (noodles, sauce, shrimp, not spicy, almost always delicious)

Indian food in London can be fabulous, but DO order it very mild. They have an entirely different scale of "heat" over there!

Don't fret about this. Your waitperson will be your guide and suggest various dishes. You'll be an expert by the time you get home.
Old Jun 15th, 2005, 11:40 PM

First prepare yourselves for a couple of disappointments. Cheap ethnic restaurants are cheap because they use raw materials with great economy, and pay migrants very low wages. There are a growing number of ethnic places that pay people getting on for adequately to prepare excellent raw materials. But they aren't cheap.

So if you like the taste of relatively expensive meat and seafood, you won't like London's ethnic places.

"Shrimp" in British means pin-size microprawns. Delicious when preserved in butter as potted shrimp, but never available in ethnic restaurants. What's common are prawns: peeled gobbits tasting of not a lot, but excellent carryers of sauces. You'll sometimes find interesting species in Chinatown, but generally it's the sauce you'll be tasting not the fish. Good seafood in Chinese places is as expensive as anywhere else: the insanities of Europe's Common Fisheries Policy (under which our taxes subsidise Spanish trawlers to come and steal our fish) make seafood in Britain preposterously pricey.

Pork is never served in Indians (except for a couple of Goanese places) or in Middle Eastern restaurants. It's rare in many SE Asian places for the same reason If you like beef, there are virtually no ethnic places (apart from a couple of Argentinians) where you can taste it: like prawns, it's used (as cheap cuts) in complex casseroles and the like.

Asking waitstaff questions is pretty hit and miss, with a great deal more miss than hit. When their English gets to a stage where useful conversations are possible, they almost invariably get themselves a job dealing Forex for a few hundred grand a year, or pass the BMA exam and get allowed to use their medical degree.

So I'd suggest two principles:

1. Follow crefloors' advice. British eaters are actually pretty conservative. You won't find animals more exotic than the occasional quail on ethnic menus, and there are never any internal body parts on the menus they show gweilos. And we don't really go in for extreme overspicing. The worst that can happen if you order blind is you'll get lamb stew under a different name.

If in doubt, ask your neighbours what they're eating (assuming they speak a language you understand, which is not a lot more likely than that the waiters do)

2. Sources of advice. There's a good idiots' guide to Indians at www.curryhouse.co.uk. London's Chinese places are virtually all Cantonese. They serve food that's quite different from (and infinitely better than) the muck from China's less culinarily literate regions Americans have to put up with at home. If you ask for moo shoo pork, you'll be asking the cook to produce something he thinks only barbarians eat.

One handy source of advice for Cantonese menus is your fellow-diners: lots of Chinese faces not only means good food, but usually fluency in English. But I'd strongly advise you to invest in the Time Out London Eating and Drinking Guide (£10.99 here, or $20 in major US airports and bookshops). Not only does it explain a reasonable amount about each cuisine, it'll direct you to value places and cuisines you'd otherwise miss.
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 10:01 AM

flanner, I'm not sure the OP had "cheap ethnic restaurants" in mind. To my mind, you can eat a very good meal in London for less money when it is Indian or Thai or even Italian. I've eaten in some expensive, trendy London restaurants, and in plenty of high-quality Indian and Thai restaurants, and the ethnic food is invariably less expensive for the equivalent quality.
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 11:12 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
A have a few general hints that might be helpful. First, I wouldn't bother the waitstaff about your menu choices. Pick from the daily special menu (if there is one) or something of from the top of the menu that seems fairly generic (i.e., cashew chicken, ginger beef, tandori chicken). Vegetarian choices will avoid meat mishaps. Pad Thai noodles and the Kai Gai soups are a slightly boring but probably safe choice in any Thai restaurants anywhere.
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input - I appreciate it. I guess one thing I was hoping for was a couple of recommendations of "typical" dishes (your favorites?) - and what they consist of...Pad Thai sounds like a good place to start.

As for "...no matter where" I live...it's possible that there's a Thai restaurant....about 60 miles from us.

Perhaps on our next visit to Chicago (5 hours), we'll do a little self-education.

Thanks again! (And esp to FlannerUK for the curryhouse suggestion and other background).
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 04:02 PM

Tuckerdc, I'm of Indian descent but I didn't start eating the stuff until college, and I've had to gradually get used to spicy food.

One thing you can do in an Indian restaurant is to try to order something in a cream sauce; these dishes are usually more cool than others. Chicken or lamb korma are cream-based dishes often found in restaurants in NYC, at least.

Also, ask for yogurt or raita (prononced rye-ta), which is watered-down yogurt with onions and cucumbers in it. You will often get rice with your meal, and your main dish will come in a separate dish. Put some rice on your plate and spoon out some of your main dish on top of the rice. Then put the raita on top of that if your dish is too hot for you.

Also, order some bread. Naan is puffy, and roti and chappati are more thin; all are wide and round, like a pita. If you're feeling really adventurous, rip off some of the bread and use it to scoop up your food. This will also dilute the spicy flavor in your mouth somewhat, as will the rice.

You can also order a yogurt shake called a lassi (pronounced lussy). It will cool things off a bit as well. Mango lassis are sweet and refreshing.

I hope this helps! Indian food is fun, but it can be a little intimidating at first.
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 04:18 PM

My son learned at a very early age to say Aloo Gobi and Nan
We love Indian food and eat it more often than any other when in London.
I always ask for mild or not hot..One of the nice things about Indian cooking is the amount of vegetarian dishes, we don't eat red meat, so it is a treat to have really good vegetable dishes.
Chicken tikka masala is good, our kids liked it . Bindi masala is okra and sauce..delish!
Usually menus describe what is in each dish..even in the US.
Remember what flanner says - shrimp in England are Prawns
We loved a place called Bangkok in So Kensington. I will eat just about any non meat Thai dish, I love the flavors. Pad Thai is delicious as are the kebabs and peanut sauces and rice.
OK, I am hungry now, enjoy London, tucker!
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 04:20 PM

Mango lassi -- a little bit of heaven on earth!
Old Jun 16th, 2005, 04:26 PM

I am not terribly versed in Indian food, but I do notice that usually the menu will tell you what the basic ingredients are...in Thai restaurants also. So, it's fairly easy to see if the dish contains something that you know you just hate. The naan is just delicious. I've had quite a few chicken dishes in Indian restaurants. As far a curry goes...you just can't describe the taste to anyone..you just have to try it and the curries vary in flavor and Thai is different from Indian. I had my first curry dish years ago in Honolulu at a place called the Willows, known for their curry. I'd never had it and just fell in love with it. I can't really name dishes and such because I'll be honest with you..I didn't pay that much attention to what they were called and as far as restaurants, like I said, we would just find a place and if it looked good and the price was right, we gave it a shot. We MOSTLY had good luck, except that Iranian dish.
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 02:41 AM

Unfortunately, like so many things, it really is a matter of taste!

Some of my favourite dishes (please excuse any incorrect spelling, although I generally find that spelling can change from restaurant to restaurant) are:

Indian

Prawn puri - spicy prawns in a light sauce served on top of a chapati, usually served as a starter.

Murgh tikka - marinated chicken cooked in a dry clay oven

Chicken/prawn/lamb balti - cooked in one pot (the balti is the pot) and generally served with naan (pronounced 'narn') rather than rice, which you use to scoop the curry out. Tends to me medium hot.

Lamb rogan josh - has a thick sauch and is medium hot

Thai

Best to get a selection of starters, my favourites being:

Thai fishcakes - sort of rubbery and a little spicy, not the kind of fishcakes you'll be used to

Satay chicken - chicken skewers which you dip into a peanut sauce

Weeping Tiger - sizzling beef with a sauce you can pour over, fairly spicy

Green chicken curry - an old favourite, kind of the thai equivalent to chicket tikka masala, but there's a good reason it's so popular!

Most restaurants will have a description of each dish and do ask the waiter, they are generally pretty helpful.

Enjoy!
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 03:16 AM

I'm like Scarlett - I order mild when eating Thai unless someone with me wants to share and likes spicier. So, nothing I eat is hot. I think one poster had a great idea to eat locally before you go. Here are my favorites -

Appetizers -
Chicken Satay - great for everyone - grilled chicken on skewers with peanut sauce (already mentioned)
Spring rolls - if you like fried Chinese egg rolls
Basil rolls - I prefer - not fried
Larb (I like chicken best) - Yummy, marinated meat you roll up in cabbage leaves and eat like a taco
Roti Cani - I mispelled that one - A tasty pancake thingie you tear off and dip in a sauce - usually peanut based

Entree -
Masaman curry chicken or shrimp - My all time favorite entree - slightly sweet - just yummy
Pad See-u (spelled to help you pronounce) a variation of Pad Thai that I like better

Order hot tea. Singha is a great Thai beer that is perfect with Thai food.

My favorite Thai experience is to go with several people and order lots of appetizers to share. Find a Thai restaurant before you go and give the food a try. I've never been wild about Chinese food, but absolutely adore Thai. Usually eat it once a week. It's my favorite - and is always my choice for birthday celebrations!

Note - spelling: some are my mistakes, some are due because almost every Thai restaurant I've gone to has a different spelling version
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 06:03 AM
Original Poster

Brilliant, guys! Have made notes and am feeling much less out-of-my-depth!
Old Jun 17th, 2005, 06:15 AM

Remember to ask for Sweet Rice when you get your Chicken Satay..at least in some NY places, it is made with coconut milk and I could just about it that as a meal alone
This thread has made me want to search out a good Thai restaurant in Jax, Florida ( not gonna happen though) LOL
Old Jun 20th, 2005, 12:11 PM

The vast majority of menus will have a description of the main ingredients/type of sauce/how hot each dish is.