Carnivore Restaurant Worth It?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2007, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Nairobi in early September and have head mixed reviews of the Carnivore Restaurant. We are not into eating strange or exotic meats but wonder if the menu offers a good selection of regular beef and/or pork entrees. Would the 40 buck per person charge be one of the unusual treats of Nairobi that we should not pass up. Your personal opinion and experience will be appreciated.
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 06:47 AM

I've been there twice, but that was when they served exotic meat (zebra, wildebeast, hartebeast, etc.). From what I understand, they have removed that type of meat from their menu.

In any event, I would think its still fun, and its a staple on the Nairobi-tourist circuit.

Even w/o the exotic game, I would visit on my next trip.
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 06:58 AM

I do not usually eat mammals; is there something else on offer here that provides a good experience?
Thanks
Jess
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 07:02 AM

There is definitely a difference of opinion about this. Previous posters have complained that it was an over-rated tourist spot, but I really enjoyed it.

I had a great time (last fall), but then again I liked the opportunity to try meats that I wouldn't get at home. While they no longer serve 'exotic' they do serve 'unusual' -- so I made a point of trying crocodile, camel and ostrich. I seem to recall that there was also chicken, turkey, and beef. I don't remember for sure about pork, but I think there was some, too.

You don't have to decide beforehand -- they come around with huge spits of each meat, and slice off a piece onto your plate. Frankly, I'm not sure if it is worth going if you want to eat exactly what you eat at home, but if you are willing to try a little slice of something unusual, then you have the option to try a taste, but not worry that you'll go hungry if you want to eat chicken instead.

And I was amazed to find that camel and ostrich and crocodile were all much pleasanter than I expected.
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 07:35 AM

It's fun!
While some exotic meats are gone, there's plenty from which to choose and you can eat as much as your tummy will hold. There were pork ribs, last I was there and these were really, really good.

There is a vegetarian menu, more Indian in flavor... for those who don't eat meat.

Beverages are extra, so if adventurous, try the Dawa, a mix of honey, lime, sugar and vodka... ummmmm, good!

You're on holiday... enjoy and laugh!
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 07:38 AM

I hated it and call it the tourist bus station central of Nairobi.

It is colourful, huge central BBQ with friendly service and lots of different meats served up in style, carved off a big skewer at your table... if that is your thing you may enjoy it.

I prefer a real campfire even if it be vegetarian!
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 07:45 AM

Mohamed, next time I'm staying at the Norfolk, I'll be sure to light a campfire and BBQ in the courtyard!
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 07:46 AM

I meant to add one of these ;-) smirks after my prior post.
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 08:21 AM

It was OK. If you are not a big meat eater don't bother. Not sure I would go back again. I wouldn't mind, but I also would not make it a priority.

Old Jun 26th, 2007, 08:27 AM

Other than Carnivore, then, what are the best non-hotel restaurants (I've also been to Tamarind, which had good seafood). When traveling, I prefer to avoid hotel restaurants.
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 08:44 AM

I've been once, which is one time too many.
regards - tom
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 08:46 AM

Michael,
I've enjoyed meals at Mediterraneo (Italian) and Tamambo (modern African?). Mediterraneo has two locations, one at the Junction and one in Westlands (have only dined at the former). Tamambo is in Westlands. Right across from Tamambo is Haandi which I hear has good Indian but haven't tried it.
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 09:06 AM

I have been once and thought the "Dawa" drink was the best part of it. The meat was just ok, but the overall experience was nice for one time, would never return.
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 09:26 AM

My two cents...

The Carnivore is touristy true but it is fun for a one time experience.

I'd go just for that.
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 09:26 AM

Was there once and loved it!

I don't even remember what we ate, but we danced all night until the place closed.
There is a great musical venue at the attached saloon.
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 09:32 AM

Patty mentions some good alternative restaurants, but of late Nairobi has become a "foodie" city with many more offerings. Check with your hotel concierge on the new ones, but remember these new ones may absolutely positively require reservations.
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 10:13 PM

Nairobi has become a foodie city.

Italian: Mediterrano in Westlands, and at The Junction. La Salumeria - Dhanjay Apartments, Lavington. Osteria del Chianti - Arwings Khodak Road.

Japanese: Tokyo - Rhapta Road, Westlands. Misono - Arwings Khodak Road.

Indian: Haandi - The Mall, Westlands www.haandi-restaurants.com. Open House - Centro House, Westlands, and Nakumatt Karen.

African: Balnco's - Off Arwings Khodak Road www.blancos.co.ke. Tamambo - The Mall, Westlands http://www.tamarind.co.ke/tamambo/index.php.

Thai: Orchid - ABC Shopping Centre, Westlands.

Seafood: Tamarind, Nairobi www.tamarind.co.ke.

I would avoid concierge recommendations, as they would not have dined at most restaurants, and are going to recommend those that give them the biggest tips for booking guests.

Carnivore - I agree with Mohamed and cary999. I would avoid The Carnivore.
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 10:55 PM

I really liked the Carnivore - the food, the atmosphere, the salsas & the fun! Even after going twice, I'd still go again!

The New York Times ran an article on Nairobi recently and they recommended a few others not mentioned in this thread yet -

the Anghiti in Westlands (Indian)

the Talisman in Karen

and the Topaz - a chicken and chips joint that is packed day & night apparently!
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 12:42 AM

Carnivore is the sort of place you may love or hate, depending on what it is you're after. Certainly it's very touristy and frankly very overpriced (unless you eat at the bar and get the same thing for a quarter of the price) but it does have a good, lively atmosphere and has fun themed nights at the bar which are popular with locals and tourists alike.

If you want a more genuine Kenyan experience, there is a local nyama choma restaurant very close to carnivore almost inside wilson airport (drive into the airport and before the tollbooth turn right) which is extremely popular, much cheaper and devoid of tourists. Also very big and with dance floor, but of course slightly more scruffy than the carnivore.

For good food, the Talisman in Karen is a great choice - best samosas you're likely to have in your life. Relatively expensive but good by western standards. Not very 'african' and if you're a tourist you might not feel like you're getting the experience, but it is very nice, and certainly a better option than the mediterraneo restaurants (sorry fans)...

I would suggest Tamambo has great food but is overpriced and service is not that great.

Have a fun trip!
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 12:46 AM

There is also a very nice Thai fusion restaurant near westlands, just off James Gichuru Rd right next to the corner with Waiyaki Way, called Mai Loan. Great food and swanky setup.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -