Search

Rajasthan/Karnataka Itinereary

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rajasthan/Karnataka Itinereary

Hi All,

I have also posted the below on Indiamike but I didn't get much of a response, so I thought I'd try here, to make sure I get all the helpful info I can:

I am trying to put together an itinerary for about 3 weeks for this December/January. I haven't been to India before and want to make sure I'm on the right track.

We chose Rajasthan because it just seems fascinating and beautiful, and Karnataka because we want to a)visit a friend living in Bangalore and b)visit Mysore, where my boyfriend lived about 10 years ago.

We chose Gokarna over Goa, as a beach destination, because it is it closer to Bangalore and Mysore and seems to be a little less touristed/crazy party scene.

I think we will be doing mostly train/bus within each State and fly in between the two, but if (for 2 people traveling) it is going to be similar price and much more comfortable to get a car/driver instead of all the public transport, we'd consider that.

Part of the timing consideration is based on the fact that we'll be traveling over xmas/new years and want to be in some of the most 'special' places at that time, but if it messes up the itinerary, that's not a must.

Below is the tentative itinerary. I'd love to hear any comments on if it needs to be changed, if there are some places that we should skip to spend more time in others or add different destinations.

As you will see, I have left a few empty days between Gokarna and Mysore, to either add a destination, or extend a couple of worthwhile places.

Thank you for any and all advice!!

12/20/2007 Arrive Delhi
12/21/2007 Delhi
12/22/2007 Delhi
12/23/2007 Train to Jaisalmer
12/24/2007 Jaisalmer
12/25/2007 Jaisalmer
12/26/2007 Jaisalmer to Jodhpur Train
12/27/2007 Jodhpur
12/28/2007 Jodhpur
12/29/2007 Jodhpur to Udaipur Bus
12/30/2007 Udaipur
12/31/2007 Ranthambhore - transport?
1/1/2008 Ranthambhore
1/2/2008 Ranthambhore to Jaipur - transport?
1/3/2008 Jaipur, Fly to Mangalore
1/4/2008 Gokarna
1/5/2008 Gokarna
1/6/2008
1/7/2008
1/8/2008 Mysore
1/9/2008 Mysore
1/10/2008 Bangalore
1/11/2008 Bangalore
1/12/2008 Depart from Bangalore

Also, if it makes sense to fly btw more places instead of bus/train or renting a car, that'd be good to know too - Thanks!

I was told on Indiamike to secure safari reservations at Ranthambhore asap, so I have contacted them already.

Budget: Above backpacker, but below 4/5* hotel type budget. Small guesthouses, places with character and generally (well) under $100 unless it's someplace really special, is what we're looking for for lodging.

Thanks for any and all ideas!!
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 02:09 PM

Your proposed itinerary from Delhi to Udaipur is very similar to the route my wife and I took in Nov/Dec 2003. For details and photos of that trip see the "Rajasthan" section of Our Travel Journals: www.evcal.org .
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 02:35 PM

Jasvilas in Jaipur is a good boutique hotel within your budget. Very small (about a dozen rooms), lovely pool, and spotlessly clean rooms. It's a real oasis and very quiet, yet well located. It's run by an Indian couple, although the husband (an engineer) spent a number of years living in the US (so he clearly knows the accommodation expectations of westerners).

His wife, Lily, is fascinatingly interesting, and spent her younger years (as a child) living in a sumptuous Indian palace where she had in the region of 100 hand maidens to look after her. Her mother is one of Rajasthan's officially designated 'Living Treasures', and was the state's first female member of parliament.

The website is http://www.jasvilas.com/

Trip Advisor reports are at http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...Rajasthan.html
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice! Jasvilas looks great - it Jaipur worth an overnight stay? Possibly to do Amber Fort/Elephant ride? I had read some mixed reviews on the city, so I was thinking (if timing worked) to just go in and fly out the same day. But if it is worth it, I will try to book at Jasvilas for the night. Caldnj, your website has some great info - I will be spending some more time looking at it! Your photos are great, which leads me to one more question - Is doing a camel trip into the desert worth it? We were in Morocco 2 years ago and did a couple of nights in the Sahara/camel ride. I enjoyed the desert (not so much the camel ride) but am not sure if it will be much different or spectacular enough to warrant another desert night? It could end up being Christmas, if we did it. Would it be a good xmas experience? Thanks again!!
Old Oct 30th, 2007, 10:01 PM

The old part of Jaipur is a real buzz at night. The Amber Fort is terrific, as is the generally missed Monkey Temple (and the drive to it). The markets are diverse and interesting. I'd certainly recommend an overnight stay.
Old Oct 31st, 2007, 04:36 AM

Hi,

Your Rajasthan itinery looks spot on.

Can't help with Karnataka because although I have visited India 3 times (9 months, 10 days, 3 months) I haven't been to that state.

India is a big country! So my advice would be - revel in the fact that you have the spirit to go somewhere that isn't on the main drag; that doesn't feature in the itineraries of the keep-to-your-comfort-zone tours (or itineraries of 99% of posters here).

Just do it.

And all the best.