Search

Gujarat ?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2005, 02:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gujarat ?

Not much info on this site regarding Gujarat. Has anyone been this year?
Thanks
Old Jul 24th, 2005, 03:56 PM

I have not been this year but a while ago. Ahmedabad, the capital, is a small town compared to Delhi or Bombay but a comp different flavour. Some lovely old palace hotels - check out wwww.heritagehotels.com. In general, it would be far lower on my list than many other India destinations.
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 10:15 AM

I spent Christmas and New Year in Gujarat at Balaram Palace Hotel, Palanpur - excellent hotel and grounds. On way from Mount Abu (Bikaner House or Palace Hotel) to Guj visited Dilwara Jain Temples - wonderful marble carving (another 8th wonder of the world?). Also Patan (old carved well) and Moderha Sun Temple - saw spinal silk weaving - very old tradition. On way to Ahmadabad saw Gandhi's Ashram where he planned his long walk. DO NOT STAY AT Utelia hOTEL IN Lothal - "dracular's castle". Good hotel in Bhavnager - Nilambagh Palace Hotel. On way to
Diu, visited Palitana and the Jain Marble Temples and shrines (only 4,000 steps) but worth the effort. Diu is an old Portugese Town - very different and is "duty free" and sells alchohol. Visited Temple of Somnath from there - very old foundations but rebuilt in 1950 on traditional lines. Contains 1 of the 12 sacred Shiva Shrines and it was almost scary at the mid-day service I attended with drums, conch shell horn, and rythmatic clapping - especially when the crowd surged forward to receive a rose petal (I think that is all we got). Fascinating fishing village at Vanakbara on Diu Peninsula. Diu has one special very long sandy clean beach - about 4km long. Too cold (for me) to swim in late Dec/early Jan. (Goghlia Beach). Then to Gir Forest and stayed at Gir Lodge - saw a wonderful Asian LION and her 2 fat cubs. Charge for video in that park is PROHIBITIVE!! However, can certainly recommend Lodge. Lovely drive via Porbanda (Gandhi's birthplace and saw small house) to Dwarka. Saw flamingos and Siberian cranes on way - bird watcher's paradise. Dwarkanath Temple worth seeing. If you drive from Ahmadabad to Dungapur don't miss the Udai Bilas Palace in Dungapur (must see Juna Mahal old 13th cen. palace.) Yes, I found Gujarat fascinating - incidentally, I did not have one reply to my request on this site for information last year! Hope you find this helpful.

Pat
But - please remember that Gujarat is a vegetarian state (I forgot and had a veget Christmas and New Year!!). Hope you have a super trip - I did and, in fact, wish I had done the "tourist route" before Gujarat and saved Gujarat to last!!
Old Jul 28th, 2005, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your replies, with so much detail, good to get up to date info. I guess not many people going there will be a good thing.
I hope to be going in February, so will be sure to post a report.
Can you Roger and Pat, if you see this thread again, let me know how long you were in Gujarat?
I was thinking of a week combined with my usual trip to Delhi and Jaipur, but you visited many places Pat, must have been quite a bit longer?

I have lived in Delhi and visited many places and go back regularly and try to visit a new place once a year. I have friends living in Ahmedabad, but they don't have much time to travel around and the old adage that you don't see what's in your own backyard would surely apply.

Thanks, Vicki

Old Jul 29th, 2005, 09:42 AM

Hello Vicki,

Yes, I was in Gujarat from 23rd Dec. to 11th January but I did spend 8 nights in Diu ("resting" after 5 weeks touring in Nepal and part of Northern India). I hired a car/driver in Delhi and toured northward to Dharamsala/Amritser/JAISALMER/ROHET/Mt. Abu to Palanpur. Some of the roads were remarkably good!! Quite an education to meet cows, camels, dogs, pigs, etc. on dual carriageways!! A more direct route from Delhi to Gujarat would probably take about 3 days. Ahmadabad is a busy city and (after seeing the Calico museum, etc.) not a place I like to linger but there are many places nearby. However, I think it is better to tour to see some of the places I have already mentioned. It was wonderful to wander off the tourist tracks and have a glimpse of the traditional India. It should be warmer in February!! During Dec/Jan it was lovely and warm during the day but nights and mornings were VERY cold.

Good planning - Pat
Old Aug 12th, 2005, 03:55 AM

try www.gujratplus.com
Old Aug 16th, 2005, 11:25 AM

Hello all,
I have a lot of family in Ahmedabad, the capital. I was there last January for a wedding. It is a bit small, compared to the other cities, but the significance is far greater than known. It's where Gandhi is from and started his walk for Independence. There's a great textile museum and all of Gandhi’s historic places are a must.
I love it. Have a great time.

Giggs
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Giggs, am looking forward to it. What's the situation with non-veg food in Gujarat - are there many non-veg restaurants?
Old Aug 17th, 2005, 04:28 AM

Don't miss Mt. Abu and the Jain temples. It was one of the highlights of my trip to India.
Old Dec 14th, 2005, 08:15 PM

i know this is an old thread, but i just heard that india expert louise nicholson has started leading incredible customized tours to ahmadabad and rajastan. www.louisesindia.com