Problem selecting a hotel in Beijing

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13th, 2006, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having never been there, it's so difficult to try and pick the right location.

We are currently holding a reservation at the Peninsula, primarily because it is so close to the Forbidden City and so highly recommended. But after thinking about it, is that so important? I'll certainly visit there and spend a whole day but there appears to be so much else to see and do with my four days in March '07. And these other places, like shopping malls & recommended restaurants seem to be spread all around Beijing.

So, my question in a nutshell: Is proximity to Tianenman Square & the Forbidden City truly the best location for tourists or merely the center point of the City?
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 08:37 AM

If I recall correctly, the Penn is a block from Wangfujing Dajie isn't it? Everything in Beijing is very spread out and the blocks are looong. We stayed on Wangfujing Dajie (though more north--but probably around the same distance from the For City that you would be) when we were in Beijing, and though we walked to the Forbidden City it was still quite a long walk. We certainly wouldn't have done it with my spry but elderly parents or if it had been hot, enough. That said, I still think proximity to Wangfujing Dajie is very important if, like us, you want to walk to restaurants and shops in the evening. The night market is there, a large mall, lots of shops along the street, and a branch of that famous Peking duck restaurant. I don't think you necessarily *have* to stay at the Pen, but I certainly wouldn't choose to stay more than a few blocks up or down Wangfujing Dajie for a first visit---unless you really don't plan on venturing out from your hotel except for excursions or plan on taxiing everywhere.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Peg

Thank you for responding. That was my whole point. If that is a good location to see more than just the Forbidden City, that's where I'll stay.

Thanks again.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 08:48 AM

PegS is absolutely right. Proximity to Wangfujing is important, while promixity to Forbidden City/Tianenmen is not.

BTW, the Peninsula is a nice hotel, but you can definitely consider other in the Wangfujing area.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 09:34 AM

Having been to Beijing many yars ago, I still remember Wangfushing as the "action" street...for end of March we have booked the Crowne Plaza for $130, considerably less than the Peninsula..and from all reports it's a very nice establishment. The long walk to Tian'enmen and the FC can be substituted with a taxi for just a few dollars, uunless we feel like walking it. There are many more options in the area at relatively reasonable rates...compared to the Pen.
Stu T.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 09:37 AM

marsham:

We are also planning a 4 night stay in the Peninsula during March. They have a Winter Escapes package going on that includes some options such as breakfast and airport limo transfer, see below link:

http://digbig.com/4qgyr

We are also planning on staying at the Hyatt for 4 nights on points which I believe has a better location than the Pen.

Almost stayed at the Holiday Inn Lido as their rates and recommendations are really good but decided to splurge and take advantage of our Hyatt free nights and I just love the Peninsula hotels. Here is a link to the HIL

http://beijing-lido.holiday-inn.com/

Aloha!

Old Dec 13th, 2006, 03:48 PM

Yes, you will want to be close to the Wangfujing Dajie section. We stayed at a B&B, haoyuan hotel, which was 2 blocks from the main street, and in a hutong district. We walked everywhere, which gave us such an enhanced sense of the city rather than using subway, taxi,e tc.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 03:56 PM

I second the Crowne Plaza. We stayed there for a week on the Club floor. Our room was huge and the location is great.
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 06:50 PM

Our family of four was planning to stay at the Peninsula Palace too due to its location and high recommendations. However, if staying on Wangfujing Dajie has much merit, being more centrally close to shops and restaurants and better for our two young adult daughters to explore on their own, then what are your recs for hotels located right there? I would consider the Grand Hyatt because of its location...does anyone have direct experience with this hotel recently? Where else? Would it be very noisy at night at a hotel on Wangfujing Dajie?

Marsham, if not at the Pen for you...where else are you considering on Wanfujing? Thanks for bringing up this point.

Terry
Old Dec 13th, 2006, 07:15 PM

There are plenty of decent hotels at Wangfujiang that are cheaper than the Peninsula or Grand Hyatt. Besides the Crowne Plaza, there are the Prime Hotel, and Tianlun Dynasty. Further east along Changan Street, there's the Beijing International.

There's another one that you may consider. That's Beijing Hotel at the corner of Wangfujing and Changan St. It's now under managed by Raffles of Singapore, but old reviews were not pleasant. Don't know if there's improvement to it yet.
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 04:34 AM

The Peninsula in Beijing is a great hotel, with a great location. Yes, you can walk to the Forbidden City but it will take a half hour or so. Two of you can take a cab for 10 yuan ($1.25)! The Peninsula is a couple of minutes from Wangfujing Dajie. There's no reason to prefer staying on the street itself. We ate in "Made in China" ate the Hyatt on Wangfujing Dajie. The hotel is located in a very large shopping mall. We were very pleased with our choice of the Peninsula.
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 04:09 PM

Thank you, marija, that's what I needed to hear! Will stay on course with our initial choice.

A question: did you take breakfast at the Peninsula...or go out to a local place? Are there restaurants directly in the area? If we stay at the Grand Hyatt, I understand there's a full shopping mall with lots of food available there as an alternative to hotel breakfast. Thanks.
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 05:30 PM

Our family of 4 stayed at the Peninsula Palace 2 years ago and we absolutely loved it. Great service and the concierge was very helpful. Our package included breakfast, which was excellent.
The Pen is a fairly short walk from the Hyatt, so there is not that much to be gained in location, by staying at the Hyatt. We walked through the lobby there on the way home one afternoon and it looked way too "corporate chain hotel" for my taste. The Pen is smaller and more exclusive feeling.
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 06:09 PM

Staying at the Penn we had one of our most special moments in China. We had the hotel pick us up at the airport. After we were in the car for a few minutes the driver's phone rang, he answered it and then turned and said it was for ME!! Who would be calling me in the hotel car immediately after our arrival in China?...the conscierge, of course, asking re our dinner reservations. The hotel was fine and lots of good restaurants in the area. Our favorite, a large place ..other side of the street, after the big shopping center..go to the second floor. Very good food, great service and cheap!! Lots of food street vendors there but the restaurant is better.
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 06:18 PM

We had breakfast included so we didn't go elsewhere. See if you can get breakfast included in your rate--it's a very nice breakfast. You can always get breakfast at the Starbucks in the Forbidden City...
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 06:32 PM

terryr

see my above post for link to price on Peninsula Winter Escape plan where they include breakfast and other options in the price.

Aloha!
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 03:58 AM

For those staying at the Peninsula, look for a "hidden" map of the area which is in the stationery folder. It's a great detailed map of the area around the hotel.
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 10:19 AM

Thank you to all of you ladies who have answered me on the Pen question! Very helpful and reassuring.

May I take this opportunity to ask you now whether you visited Lijiang, Guilin and Yangshuo, or Xian when you were in China...and if so, are there any hotels or accomodations that you can rec to our family of four in those places? We want to stay within the city wall in Xian as we are only there for an overnight. I am having most difficulty knowing how to choose well for the first 3 cities that I just listed. Thank you again.