Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Which area to stay in Beijing as a tourist

Old May 13th, 2015, 09:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, I am visiting Beijing for 3 days in June end with husband and teenage son from India. Which location / places are the best to stay for all conveniences - sightseeing, metro / subway station, eating joints and shopping. Is Wangfuing street the best one to stay in a hotel? Thank you for the quick response. Need to book the hotel today
Old May 14th, 2015, 09:26 AM

We stayed at the Grand Hyatt Beijing, and it was lovely and well-situated. There were restaurants in all directions, in all price ranges, and the concierge desk was wonderful. I even wrote to the concierge ahead of time with my proposed sightseeing schedule, and she wrote back with suggested improvements.

I don't recall taking any metro/subway in Beijing. The Hyatt has a taxi queue, so you just hop in one, and go anywhere in the city cheaply. Also, the hotel arranged a private driver for us for day trips, including to the Great Wall, for a reasonable price.

Regarding shopping, be sure and visit the silk market there. It's a multi-story building with all sorts of silk products for sale. I'm not much of a shopper, but my sons dragged me there, and insisted I buy a beautiful embroidered jacket. They did the bargaining for me, thank goodness.

Enjoy!
Old May 14th, 2015, 09:50 AM

You are correct, Wangfujing Street or nearby is the area most convenient to stay in Beijing.
Old May 14th, 2015, 06:10 PM

One of the best place to stay in Beijing for tourists is Wanfujing. The busy Wangfujing street is centrally located and convenient to some of Beijing’s landmark buildings such as Tian’anmen and Forbidden City. Wangfujing area has at least 15 hotels in this area, from the most luxurious hotels to budget friendly choices.
Old May 14th, 2015, 06:27 PM

Many tourist choose to stay around Wangfujing which is a pedestrian street full of tourists and scammers. The subway is everywhere. The most convenient strategy is to stay anywhere within the second ring road, or even within the east ring road 3. Personally I can't stand Wangfujing or the Silk market but maybe you'll get some thrills out of it.
Old Jun 6th, 2015, 07:55 PM
kja

I'm glad that I did NOT stay in the Wanfujing area -- way TOO touristy for my tastes.