Traveling to Beijing...

Search

Traveling to Beijing...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2005, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traveling to Beijing...

Hi.. I'm planning to go to Beijing this coming March. I have a good friend who lives there, but he is working, so during the day I'll probably be by myself. I was wondering what you guys think? I am 24 years old (woman), and I have traveled alone before, but never to Asia. Will I be able to take advantage of my days there even alone, or is it dangerous? Will it be too complicated, not knowing the language to find my way around the city? Thanks for your advice!

Old Jan 27th, 2005, 08:07 AM

Tezakk-I'm a woman, and have traveled all over the world on my own, with no problems! I think Beijing magnificent, and I am not even a quarter of the way through the things that I want to do and see there-you'll have a GREAT time on your own, b/c you're forced to interact on a much more personal level with the culture than you would exploring or seeing things through someone else's viewpoint-you definitely get a better feel for the culture when doing it alone, I think. Beijingers are quite friendly and willing to go out of their way to help, I've found-and the capital is a LOT more funky, sophisticated cool than you could imagine. Enjoy your trip!
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 01:58 PM

I'd add to Spygirl's advice that we (albeit a couple) felt not the slightest bit uncomfortable walking around Beijing neighbourhoods by night or day. I have heard that there's a little petty crime (pickpocketing etc) around bus and railway stations, but didn't myself observe any problems.

I agree that Beijing is a great place to just stooge around, and it's not at all difficult to navigate. Just get yourself the city tourist map which indicates streets etc. in both Chinese characters and Pinyin (Latin alphabet) - as do most street signs. If you do get lost, just flag down a cab (but make sure you have your destination written in Chinese, or can point to it on the map. Cabs are plentiful, efficient and cheap.

You could fill in one day with a visit to the Great Wall, preferably at Mutianyu - I'm sure your friend can help you organise that. The Summer Palace is another good way to fill ina few hours - it's north-west of the city centre and a cab should cost about US$6 (but ignore any taxi touts who approach you when you leave - walk out to the road and take a regular cab from the rank).

You should take a walk around the Back Lakes and the adjoining 'hutong' districts, and if you have time Jinshan and Beihai parks, north of the Forbidden City, are worth a stroll.

I suggest you get yourself a guidebook so that you can decide which attractions you want to see. I'm sure you'll like Beijing.

Old Jan 27th, 2005, 06:04 PM

Beijing is pretty safe. Although you may feel uncomfortable that local peoples always looking at you, they just curious and have no intention to offend you. In most cases, just respond with a smile. In fact, I found that local peoples are even more polite to western travellers.

One more thing, a lot of western travellers think Chinese peoples are rude and impolite as they rush to the underground/bus or sometimes push you at the crowd places. But I always suggest peoples not to judge foreigners with their standards at home. I met a lot of Chinese peoples during my travel and most of them are very nice.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 06:07 PM

For the guidebook as suggested by Neil_Oz above, I would recommend Lonely Planet as they have a pretty good street maps with Chinese legend. You can always show it to local peoples and ask for their help.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 06:40 PM

There's also the fold-out tourist map I mentioned, which is easy to read.

It will add to your visit if you can acquire a few words of Mandarin. We had a Dorling Kindersley phrase book which was handy, but you do need to practice your pronunciation with a Chinese-speaker - I used to pester the hotel receptionists, who were very understanding but I suspect too polite to tell me when I was making a hash of it. You won't learn to say much, but your politeness in trying will be appreciated (when the listeners aren't laughing themselves sick, anyway).

r_shum is right, you will have to get used to a bit of pushing and shoving. Just stand your ground. The Chinese are not great respecters of queues (lines). At Shanghai's Pudong airport check-in I momentarily let my guard down and when I looked up found that two entire families had managed to insert themselves ahead of me in the line. How did that happen?
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 07:29 PM

I suggest the opposite. Let the locals push and shovel up to buses. Unlike 15-20 years ago when buses were crowded and often ran very infrequently, nowadays they are frequent, at least in the big cities. Locals will try to get ahead even if there were only 2 of them waiting for a bus with 50 seats. Why fight with them.

But if it's really necessary, then just shout. Swear in English. This will work 99% of the time. They would get scared and give you room.

Anyways, if you want a leisurely vacation with low stress level, don't go to China.
Old Jan 27th, 2005, 09:10 PM

Hi

My wife and I went to Beijing a couple of years back and we had a wonderful stay there. We were surprised by Beijing because it had a lot to offer. I have posted a trip report with some pictures on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com. Maybe you can find some useful information there.

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway