Post Tsunami Update 3 weeks on

Jan 16th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Post Tsunami Update 3 weeks on

This is related to Thailand, I hope others with information on Sri Lanka and Southern India can add to thisbr />
The 'only' areas of Thailand that are on the usual tourist trails that need to be avoided are Khao Lak on the West Coast ( several hours north from Phuket ) and Phi Phi Island. A 'few' resorts and accommodations in the Krabi area still were damaged but the majority of Krabi accommodations are and have been fully operating.

Phuket: The only area that is still being cleared is Kamala Beach area.

Kata beach, Karon Beach and Nai Harn beach, Surin and Bangtao and Laguna area are all fine.

The clean up of Patong Beach is virtually complete and as nothing further back than the first road was touched anyway the only difference you will see if the fixing up and repairs on damaged properties along the beach road. There are plans to enhance the beach raod with wider sidewalks, trees etc and also restrict the number of beach umbrellas and chairs and vendors. Except for those beachfront places the rest of Patong is fully open and operating ( and indeed most of Patong was not affected at all anyway ).

Naturally after such a tragic disaster there is still work being done by various organisations, businesses and government and thanks goes as always to everyone for their thoughts and deeds.

The only problem facing Phuket and other such places now is that people aren't coming !! Charter flights from Scandinavia are ressuming and slowly tourists are trickling back. The 'problem' these communities have now is simple. For those either affacted directly or not, everyone is being affected by the lack of visitors. Phuket as an example relies fully on tourism. Workers are being laid off and having to go back to their hometowns without work. Restaurants are laying off staff and that income is no longer being send 'home' to families in poorer parts of the country. It's a ripple effect.

This is the 2nd tragedy. There is absolutely no reason at all to defer any planned trips and remember, these were only small areas of a very very large country that were effected. The mood, as said before, is to progress from the tragedy and live for the living, this is the Thai way. For those who lost homes, for fishermen who lost their boats, what they need is the income from work. No tourists means no food sales to restaurants and hotels which means staff laid off which means people in North Eastern Thailand not receiving money. The ripple effect.

As said before, the best gift to these effected areas is to 'come'. If you don't want to visit the particular areas there are plenty of other places to visit in the countries concerned. Whether you planned on Thailand, Maldives, Sri lanka or any other affected ares please 'come'.

Thanks !
Jan 16th, 2005, 05:45 PM

james....as a thrifty tourist i'm wondering if there are hotel bargains to be had in phuket at this time? i know this sounds rude, but actually if people thought there were bargains they would rush back faster... if there are bargains would you suggest direct contact with hotels for this??

bob
Jan 17th, 2005, 04:42 AM

"The only problem facing Phuket and other such places now is that people aren't coming !!"

Yes they are. For example charter flights from Finland start again 1st of February, and they are almost fully booked.
Jan 17th, 2005, 05:35 AM

James
Appreciate this information. I will be arriving in BKK in just three weeks and plan to spend my tourist dollars!

I did see some special hotel rates at sawadee.com but did not book anything yet, as the one place on Phuket I'd like to visit has not yet reopened to full capacity. I can't get information on the Villa Royale availability at Mom Tri's Boathouse on Kata Beach. They have sent me emails but they don't include the information I'm looking for.

Is it true that places like Samui and Pattaya are getting fully booked now, as an alternative to Phuket?

I appreciate your postings.

Carol
Jan 17th, 2005, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Elina, I did saybr />
"Charter flights from Scandinavia are ressuming ", Brittania and Premier have flights from Gotenburg and Arlanda also scheduled to resume

Simpsonbr />
The Boathouse had damage at the front but the rooms behind are apparently ok. The Boathouse does have a lot of 'regulars' so they might not be discounting. Phuket Fantasea at Kamala re-opens on the 19th. Phuket Simon has 'never missed a show' which shows some devotion but is just 1 show per night at the moment. The Mangosteeen is worth looking at as a good class place but it is a hill location. The Kata Thani is fully operational as another alternative in that area and they have some special rooms at the Buri. Club Med is fine. Samui is heavily booked, Pattaya is always about full this time of year as it attracts large numbers of domestic and Asia based travellers. also has new daily flights to Singapore. Pattaya/Jomtien Beach very busy so too Hua Hin and Cha Am though the very peak is over.

Jan 17th, 2005, 10:27 AM

For travel professionals, Le Royal Meridien Phuket Yacht Club is offering a 3 night stay up till the end of March for $180. The intention is to try to raise the positive profile of Phuket.
Jan 21st, 2005, 04:07 AM

I disagree with your statement about Phi Phi Island. I was there on December 26, staying at the Phi Phi Island Village resort. This resort is located on the east side of the island - facing Krabi. As Phi Phi is such an isolated island, the outlying resorts located away from Ton-sai Bay have to be self supporting, this resort has it own water purification system, electrical generation system, standard three day food supply, and village for the staff and their families. The resort was not affected other than lost satellite TV and a few drowned air conditioner units - all of which I'm sure are operating now. Resort employees were out the same day literally sweeping the beach to clean up the debris - I'm sure it has now returned to its pristine condition. The accomodations were luxurious, the food was great, the staff courteous and the landscape beautiful.

The town doesn't exist any more but the natural beauty of the island and Phi Phi Lea is still there.
Jan 21st, 2005, 05:27 AM

James, I noted in another thread that I finally heard from the Boathouse. They are begging tourists to return, offering "summer rates" earlier than usual. The big villa that I'd really like to have is about $355US a night. YIKES!! I don't think that's much of a bargain (although we paid about $550 during Christmas/New Years stays there). I think my group will go to Phuket aroung 10th of February for a few days, but find something for less money.

Thanks everyone for the information on the islands.

Carol