Question for Degas re: Phuket trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Degas, I saw you posted on another thread today and I can remember you asking for information on your Phuket trip. I would just like to ask where you stayed and find out if you enjoyed your time there.

I always enjoy Phuket even though we tend to go elsewhere these days but as it gets more negative comments than positive on this forum I would just like to hear your opinion.
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 05:15 AM

Before this thread disappears off of page one, I'll add my thoughts on Phuket. I've never had a bad experience there. I always enjoy my island vacations, even in rainy season! You won't see any negative posts on Phuket from me (other than advising folks to steer clear of staying on Patong Beach).
Carol
Old Nov 13th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Original Poster

I am glad that someone here shares my point of view. I hope that Degas did end up enjoying his trip wherever he went.
Carol, will you be getting back to Kata beach anytime soon? I'm actually thinking of trying Nai Harn next time. It's pretty quiet down there but we normally get a car anyway so we can get into Kata easily if we need a bit more excitement
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 02:12 AM

Hi shanek

Much to my disappointment, I had to put that Phuket trip back on the planning shelf for awhile. Work assignment got in the way and then the LW and my schedules diverged.

Agree with Carol - the only negative things Ive heard were about staying on Patong Beach.

Best of luck, and please give us a trip report when you go.
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 03:05 AM

I don't think it gets that much negative comment really. It certainly though has changed a great deal and perhaps differs from some people's expectations. That is probably because the changes have happened so fast.
We lived many years in Patong and loved it and enjoyed Phuket, in fact we may well be moving down again, but that if purely for business reasons. But would be living well away from the tourist areas.
We were in Patong a few weeks back and things like B 200 ( B 150 negotiable ) for a journey of less than 2km can add up if you are not within walking distance of the center. Time share touts seem to be everywhere, however, that is Patong now. Construction continues in all areas including Kata, the area behind Club Med is very built up now with new shophouse blocks etc. A small Thai restaurant we used to go to now serves Burgers and Fries.
More people seem to be trying beaches such as Nai Harn, Surin, Bangtao. More long haul budget flights from Europe and Australia have changed the dynamics of the type of visitors to a certain extent.
I guess it depends what you are looking for, Khao Lak is certainly getting a lot more popular so too Krabi.
I think if like Carol and others you have been once you get to know the nice parts and which beach areas suit you. If you don't mind the chances of rain low season is quite good with lots of bargains.
www.phuketgazette.net always has a good supply of news and worth looking at for what's new etc.
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 03:37 AM

shanek
No plans to return anytime soon. I'm in BKK for 3 weeks, mid Dec to early Jan, but we will go to Pattaya for two nights over New Years Eve rather than flying to Phuket.

Degas, hope you get to Phuket sometime. It can be a lovely vacation spot.

JamesA... your input is always appreciated. BTW, we have a GTG in BKK on Dec 21. Any chance you'd be available??? There's a thread about it. Maybe you would have some suggestions on a good brunch spot near the Suk Sheraton.

Carol