First trip to Thailand

Old Oct 17th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First trip to Thailand

Has anyone stayed in the Majestic Grande Hotel in BKK?
Any idea on a good location in Phuket for two women for three days? safe and convenient. Really don't know which area to stay. I 'd like to see Phang Nag Bay and Koh PhiPhi.

Plan to fly back from Phuket to BKK on new year's Eve. Should I book ticket now or buy it when I arrive in Thailand on 12/24?
Eve.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 05:17 PM

First thing, book those flight tickets between Bangkok and Phuket 'today'!! Flying Phuket to Bangkok on Dec 31 you need to get online immediately and book that seat

www.thaiairways.com ( by far most flights )
www.bangkokair.com
Also if you are planning to fly Bangkok to krabi or Phuket between dec 24 and end of the month you need to commit to a flight right away.

For accommodation in Phuket that week you are going to find it tough to get accommodation you want. Kata and karon beach areas are nice and not too crowded but at the same time restaurants etc and you can get to Patong for heavy nightlife and other areas easy.

I don't want to rush you but it would be unfair to say don't rush!

We need an idea of your budget for hotel, do note that very expesnive over that week in Phuket, if you have a budget you can try this site and what I suggest is to 'request' about 4 or 5 of places that are within your budget and then 'click the box that asks if you are interested in similar price alternatives', you need to click that box as chances of your initial choices coming up available are very slim.
But good news is you do not have to put in credit card and you are not committed in any way at all until they let you know what is available, then you choose.
Actually both these go into the same system so doesn't matter which you try

www.phuket-luxury-hotels.com
www.patong-beach-hotels.com

Another thought is that if you want to see Phi Phi and Phang Nga you could try krabi area, but there are very few flights unless you go via Phuket Airport, then a 2-3 hour cab/van ride.

If you only have 3 days you will find it quite rushed.

Do check on those flights, there are budget carriers but they might be full for best fares but you could also try

www.airasia.com
www.nokair.com

You can certainly give us budget or perhaps if you get offers on hotels quickly then tell us what is available and hopefully we can suggest.
Old Oct 19th, 2005, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for replying to my Qs. This is really helpful. My budget is $60-80 for 2 people 1 room. Prefers view and nice beach. Any particular place you recommend on Kata and karon beach for my budget?
Do you recommend Phang Nag Bay and Island Phiphi as excursions? What day trips do you recommend? We plan to have 2 days of sightseeing and one day for relaxation, massages.
Do i need to book massages ahead of time too? Do you recommend any place in particular?
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 05:54 PM

I have not stayed at the new Majestic Grande but i have dined there in a great restaurant (Sacz) on the first floor there. I would stay in this hotel in a heartbeat. It is new and no doubt very nice.

The location is fairly close to Nana skytrain station (maybe 15 minute walk or a little bit less).

I would say Kata beach on Phuket would be a good choice, but I don't know if you will find anything on the beach in your price range... and especially at the peak holiday season!! Katathani is a great resort on Kata Noi beach, but will probably be more than you want to spend.

PhiPhi Island is very beautiful. It is a nice day trip from Phuket. The boats leave from Phuket town pier, and if you are staying on Kata or Kata Noi beach you are relatively close. You can get transportation to the pier as part of your day-trip package.

For New Years Eve flight from Phuket to BKK, I would go ahead and book now rather than wait. It is peak season and a very busy time. Book now just to make sure you get the flights you want. I hope you are not too late to get a decent room on the beach!
Old Oct 20th, 2005, 09:21 PM

The ferries to Phi Phi from Phuket now only depart in the morning at 8.30 from the port. They pick up from your hotel at 7.15am to transfer to the boat. You should allow 1.5-2 hours for this trip.

I just got the above, which I cut and pasted, from a dive operator I Phuket I've been corresponding with. Because of the schedule, I can't stay on Phi Phi as I'd thought of possibly doing. Looking at the schedule, I'd say it's near impossible to fly in with a short stay in mind and hope to stay on Phi Phi. But it would work for a day trip out of Phuket.
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 03:06 PM

I am heading to Phuket in November and I am trying to choose a hotel. Would love to be on the beach but is ok to be a few minutes walking distance. I am also choosing between Patong and Karon beach. Would love hotel recommendations on both beaches. Price range is $100-$120/night. Again, close to the beach. Any thoughts on Burasari?
Old Oct 21st, 2005, 06:07 PM

I have just posted for someone else also looking for Nov and another looking for Feb, note that December 20 thru Jan mid month is absolute peak price time! This was for November but gives you ideas.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...t=0&dirtyBit=1