Search

Please Help for Asia packing

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2006, 12:41 PM
TVY
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Help for Asia packing

HI all, first time to Asia, two week trip, we're going to Tokyo, Shanghai, Bangkok and Hong Kong. I'm totally confused about what to pack, and what I can expect of the weather. I'm traveling with my husband and another couple (we're mid-30's), our accomodations will be very nice. We'll probably be site seeing during the day and going out to nice restaurants and then club lounge etc... after dinner. I'm a big shopper, I don't want to overpack (since we're hitting 4 cities), but I also want to look nice. I'd appreciate any help from those who have been on a similar trip. Thanks
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 12:42 PM
TVY
Original Poster

I forgot to include our travel dates. first two weeks of October 2006.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 12:47 PM

You can check temperatures on various weather websites like weather.com

For Tokyo, Shanghai and Hong Kong, you need to bring your best clothes. Like you would going to New York, London and Paris. In Hong Kong at least, they like their air-conditiniong chilly, so you may need something to cover your shoulders in a club or restaurant.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 01:14 PM

Take a look at weatherbase.com as it give historic weather data. You've chosen places with a range of temperatures and dressiness. Bangkok will be the hottest of the places you are going. It is also a less dressy city. You will need long pants there (people don't really wear shorts in the city) and shirts with sleeves. Places are air-conditioned (sometimes frigid) so sometimes it helps to have layers. Do make sure you know the dress code for the Grand Palace.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 01:33 PM
TVY
Original Poster

I was thinking of taking jeans (2 for day and night), black pants, and some khakis. Although I'm not quite sure about the khakis, also should I take some white pants or not? I find that in Europe, I don't end up wearing the lighter color pants even though that's what I normally wear here in So Cal. I also was thinking about taking a mustard colored light weight silk blend 3/4 coat for evening. Do you think this is too much weather wise?? I've checked the temparatures, and it seems that the average range is pretty diverse. I also read a post that said that the weather.com temps were much warmer than actual. Finally, and sorry about the stream of conscienseness, but do I need rain gear?? Packable poncho (somewhat tacky) or a trench?
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 01:45 PM

TVY - I am a guy, so my point of view may be different. But no white pants. You will probably be using some public transportation and stroll along public areas. It's a lot more crowded there, and white pants won't stay white for long. Very different environment than Southern Cal when you just go in and out of cars.

Also, you'll need a light jacket to go out at night because of air-conditioning. And Tokyo can be cool by that time.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 02:01 PM

The jeans will be way too hot for Bangkok.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 02:28 PM
TVY
Original Poster

RKKWAN and Kathie, thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 03:10 PM

One pair of jeans, you can wear the black pants day or night, khakis are nice but no white pants, I like mid-calf pants. I bring a long cotton skirt that can be dressed up or casual. Not sure of the 3/4 coat, silk knit twin sets are very versatile. And stylish yet comfy shoes. Pack light. Since you're a shopper, you can pick up a wrap if it gets cool, and buy a cheap umbrella or a wide brim hat when it rains. Happy travels and let us know your experiences.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 03:38 PM

Tokyo has great umbrellas.
Old Sep 12th, 2006, 07:10 PM

my wife takes white pants, usually linen....all clothing should be natural fibers like cotton, linen...jeans way too hot, except maybe at nite for for looks in the clubs...this for bkk...

it will be cooler in the 3 northern cities, probably much like CA....

there are tons of laundries in asia and they are cheap so take less rather than more...
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 09:38 AM
TVY
Original Poster

Ok, I've nixed the white pants, a long cotton skirt is a good idea. What about colors, anyone have any thoughts, given that we're transitioning into fall??
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 10:01 AM

Neutral colors with a couple of bright tops for fun (pink, aqua, orange, purple), just what you'd wear in S. Cal.
Old Sep 13th, 2006, 06:04 PM

What is the order of your holiday? What dates will you be in the PRC? I am asking because Oct 2- 9 is a major holiday week in the PRC as virtually the entire country has the week off and everyone is out travelling. It is not the greatest week to be in the PRC or traveling to it. Hong Kong is not as affected as we do not have the week off (just Oct 2), although more and more PRC nationals come here for the holiday so places like the Peak can be a bit crowded. Also, if you could arrange to be in Hong Kong on Oct 6 or 7 you could see a major festival here, which is the mid-Autum festival.

Locals in Hong Kong and Shanghai wear a LOT of black, not that you have to.
Old Sep 14th, 2006, 01:23 PM
TVY
Original Poster

We'll be in Tokoy until the 2nd. Shanghai, 2-5; Bangkok, 5-8 and Hong Kong 8-13. I guess we'll be hitting the Holiday in the PRC and missing the festival in Hong Kong. Thanks for the tip re: wearing black. Any other advice packing related or otherwise??